Tracey Moffatt Night Cries: A Rural Tragedy (1989) 2
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Aug 1, 2008
A short experimental film shot totally in a studio, it is about the relationship between an Aboriginal daughter and her white mother. The daughter, now the sole carer of her dying mother, dreams of far away places.
A short film written and directed by Tracey Moffatt, Night Cries is promoted as a possible sequel to Chauvel's feature film Jedda. What would have happened had Jedda survived, and became the primary carer of her white mother? Moffatt, one of Australia's most famous visual artists whose work is internationally acclaimed, continues her use of constructed environments, with no outdoor scenes filmed in this work. Shot entirely indoors, the design work of Steven Curtis in Night Cries can also be seen in Moffatt's feature film BeDevil. The beautiful use of rich colours, reflections and sounds open up the indoor environment of the set, and suggests the grand expanse of physical landscapes.
Moffatt's use of famous Aboriginal singer Jimmy Little, who sings 'Royal Telephone' in Night Cries, evokes the presence of Christianity, and its role in the assimilation of Aboriginal peoples. The haunting textures of the painted landscape can then perhaps be reflective of a gradual change in how Aboriginal people relate to the land as a consequence of assimilation. The haunted look in the eyes of the Aboriginal daughter (Marcia Langton), is loaded with a sense of what could have been. The final scene of Night Cries is reminiscent of a scene from Jedda, when the newborn infant is laid on the table next to the white mistress of the house, and both begin to cry. This scene in Night Cries revisits the pain and anguish of Jedda, as the now grown Aboriginal daughter lies in a foetal position next to her white mother, and once again cries. Assimilation, then, can be understood as a pain experienced by both the Aboriginal daughter, as well as the white mother.
Tracey Moffatt is an artist who continues to challenge the social construction of Aboriginality and how it is nationally and internationally viewed.
Romaine Moreton, curator http://www.ubu.com/film/moffatt_rural...
Standard YouTube License
- 1:50 Australian Aboriginal horrorby ignoredvoicesFeatured 75,186
- 0:34 Tracey Moffatt Heavenby gilbert grace 2,228 views
- 8:16 Tracey Moffatt Night Cries: A Rural Tragedy (1989) 1by artpopulus sent i crea 26,060 views
- 7:41 Hai Preet Jahan Ki Reetby margishk's channel 133,398 views
- 2:45 Jimmy Little-Telephone to glory.by OPELEBS CHANNEL 35,556 views
- 4:59 Australian Aboriginesby MrBigrollin 18,529 views
- 1:49 Haley Discovers Jamie's Art: 5.04by HaleyJamieScott 7,229 views
- 5:07 "Jake's Night Out" Opening Sceneby Brent Nowak 7,882 views
- 2:15 Australia's Got Talent - Arnhem land Islander chooky dancersby nana443 1,638,007 views
- 4:48 Rush - The Enemy Within ( Grace Under Pressure )by GraceUnderPressureDV 164,032 views
- 6:16 Dreamtime of the Aborigines - Ancient Civilizationsby IMP Inc USA 35,068 views
- 3:08 2007 Pictou County Lobster Carnival Boat Race.Caribou Reeferby travelchaser 5,204 views
- 5:13 Greenlee, Roger - Valentine's Day Nightmare (Part 2)by angelofmusic27 3,857 views
- 8:35 Aboriginal Australians(1)by Youthknowledge 16,823 views
- 1:39 BeDevil Trailerby Ronin Films 7,803 views
- 7:13 Joseph Cornellby artpopulus 15,267 views
- 8:35 Aboriginal Australians(2)by Youthknowledge 5,913 views
- 3:06 Tracey Moffattby Brooklyn Museum 7,276 views
- 7:30 Maya Deren At Land Pt.1by clarice had a little lamb 73,160 views
- 3:26 Stan Bush: Sam's Theme (The Touch) from Dream the Dream (NO RAP)by OfficialStanBush 46,167 views
- Loading more suggestions...