Volatility at World's End: Two Decades of Movement in Markets
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Apr 17, 2012
To download the corresponding article to this video please visit http://www.ArtemisCM.com/category/res...
The video was first shown in conjunction with Christopher Cole's speech at the 2012 Global Derivatives and Risk Management Conference in Barcelona, Spain.
"Nobody will deny there is roughness everywhere...." Benoit Mandelbrot
The movement of stock prices has been an obsession for generations of speculators and traders. On a higher level mathematicians believe that modern markets are an extension of the same fractal beauty found in nature. Visualized these stock markets may take the shape of a turbulent ocean with waves made of human hopes, dreams, greed, and fear.
Merging the world of high-finance and high-art Artemis Capital Management LLC is proud to present a creative visualization of stock market volatility over the last two decades.
"Volatility at World's End" Two Decades of Movement in Markets
is a depiction of real stock market volatility using trading data from 1990 to 2011. The visuals are designed from S&P 500 index option data replicating the implied volatility wave (or variance swap curve) extending to an expiration of one year. The front of the volatility wave contains the same data used to calculate the CBOE VIX index. The movement of this wave demonstrates changing trader expectations of the future stock market volatility. As the wave moves through time the expected (or implied) volatility surface transforms into a realized volatility surface derived from historical S&P 500 index movement. The transition represents what professional traders call "volatility arbitrage". The color variation in the volatility waves show the volatility -of-volatility or internal movement of the wave. The track underneath the volatility wave represents underlying S&P 500 index prices.
Concept and Creative Direction by Christopher Cole, CFA
Visual Animation and Programming
by Jayson Haebich www.BrokenPixelProductions.com
Title Design by Nataliya Vakulenko
Artemis Capital Management LLC, All Rights Reserved 2012
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Blood" on
- 22:08 Youngest option trader talks stock market volatility and probability with Tom Sosnoff on tastytradeby tastytrade25,602 views
- 24:55 Trader - Made $41 Million Profit in 3 Years Option Tradingby tastytrade306,581 views
- 12:39 ex Goldman Sachs Trader Tells Truth about Trading - Part 1by InstituteofTrading323,947 views
- 2:28:25 WSOP 2012 - $1,000,000 The Big One for One Drop LIVE - Part 1 of 2by pokerproschannel50,673 views
- 13:21 Doug Casey: Stupidity, Evil, and the Decline of the U.S.by Casey Research48,915 views
- 53:14 My Five Favorite Options Trading Strategies - John Carterby tradestation37,887 views
- 12:26 Trading For a Living, Not Living for Trading (Series): An Introduction and Disciplineby AirelonTrading215,836 views
- 1:19:17 Best Options Trading Strategies | Learn To Trade SPY Weekly Optionsby RealTraders Webinar17,969 views
- 14:44 How I earned $700 in under one hour with my free Binary Options Systemby Chris Morton75,714 views
- 12:23 1986 Lamborghini Countach - Jay Leno's Garageby JayLenosGarage489,156 views
- 10:08 Japan will collapse very soon.. the U.S Market and Europe will followby David Vose9,292 views
- 53:11 The Colors of Infinity - Arthur C. Clarkeby Russell A.29,195 views
- 28:36 $1000 Profit in 28 Minute Proven Binary Trading Strategyby Alden Michael Churchill66,591 views
- 6:24 Ishant Sharma v Ponting Legendary Spell Perth 2008by gugiebear991,083 views
- 51:37 OPTION TRADER makes $105MM PROFIT in the NDX, SPX & RUT - Her STORY Uncoveredby tastytrade138,439 views
- 1:06:33 Fundamentals of Options Volatility for Tradersby TheOptionClub1,354 views
- 14:57 Семинар Синицына в компании АЛОР (1)by StudyALOR3,388 views
- 18:47 Sheldon Natenberg: Author of "Option Volatility And Pricing" interviewed on tastytradeby tastytrade2,572 views
- 11:38 Binary Options SCAMS!!!! TradeRush & Francoby KingHuman57,477 views
- 10:52 Benoit Mandelbrot On Efficient Markets- FT.Com 9.30.09by valueinvestingpro19,519 views
- Loading more suggestions...