Volatility at World's End: Two Decades of Movement in Markets
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Apr 17, 2012
To download the corresponding article to this video please visit http://www.ArtemisCM.com/category/res...
The video was first shown in conjunction with Christopher Cole's speech at the 2012 Global Derivatives and Risk Management Conference in Barcelona, Spain.
"Nobody will deny there is roughness everywhere...." Benoit Mandelbrot
The movement of stock prices has been an obsession for generations of speculators and traders. On a higher level mathematicians believe that modern markets are an extension of the same fractal beauty found in nature. Visualized these stock markets may take the shape of a turbulent ocean with waves made of human hopes, dreams, greed, and fear.
Merging the world of high-finance and high-art Artemis Capital Management LLC is proud to present a creative visualization of stock market volatility over the last two decades.
"Volatility at World's End" Two Decades of Movement in Markets
is a depiction of real stock market volatility using trading data from 1990 to 2011. The visuals are designed from S&P 500 index option data replicating the implied volatility wave (or variance swap curve) extending to an expiration of one year. The front of the volatility wave contains the same data used to calculate the CBOE VIX index. The movement of this wave demonstrates changing trader expectations of the future stock market volatility. As the wave moves through time the expected (or implied) volatility surface transforms into a realized volatility surface derived from historical S&P 500 index movement. The transition represents what professional traders call "volatility arbitrage". The color variation in the volatility waves show the volatility -of-volatility or internal movement of the wave. The track underneath the volatility wave represents underlying S&P 500 index prices.
Concept and Creative Direction by Christopher Cole, CFA
Visual Animation and Programming
by Jayson Haebich www.BrokenPixelProductions.com
Title Design by Nataliya Vakulenko
Artemis Capital Management LLC, All Rights Reserved 2012
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Blood" on
Monsieur Adi, Monsieur Adi
- 24:55 Trader - made $41 million profit in 3 years option tradingby The tastytrade NetworkFeatured 149,194
- 35:14 Implied Volatility in 3Dby tradestation 1,260 views
- 25:36 На чём экономит власть и на чём нужно экономить?by Mikhail Delyagin 4,530 views
- 10:12 MF Global is a crime scene. Jon Corzine remains unquestioned. Is a 401 K account next?by Mark Melin 4,432 views
- 10:54 Learn How to use Bollinger Bands in Your Trading Systemby Accendo Traders 27,644 views
- 10:40 Don Fishback: Volatility Tradingby tradewins1 2,308 views
- 2:29 Gulf seafood deformities alarm scientistsby AlJazeeraEnglish 374,570 views
- 12:25 Trading For a Living, Not Living for Trading (Series): An Introduction and Disciplineby AirelonTrading 171,994 views
- 15 videos Play all Volatility Tradingby Aries23l
- 7:41 Stock Option Volatility - This Will Make or Break Your Profit Potentialby optionstradingmentor 1,563 views
- 1:15:35 Managing by the Greeks -- May 2, 2013by sheridanmentoring 482 views
- 8:46 Historical vs. Implied Volatilityby Kirk Du Plessis 4,460 views
- 59:08 Million Dollar Traders (Full Series 3 of 3)by 4xreview 121,395 views
- 14:55 Volatility Smileby questoptions 3,054 views
- 36:06 WEBINAR Part 1: Trading VIX Futuresby optionscity 1,550 views
- 12:26 Processing tutorial: Overview of data visualization | lynda.comby lynda.com 6,682 views
- 19:13 Butterfly Option Spread Trade Explained - Classic Butterfly Spreadby OptionGenius 7,202 views
- 5:46 Learn About Options Greeks: What is Gamma?by tradeking 5,530 views
- 4:03 Learn About Options Greeks: What is Delta?by tradeking 4,421 views
- 4:37 Fixing a Broken Iron Condor using a Butterfly Spreadby Investools 5,316 views
- 2:40 How to Trade Implied Volatility: Option Trading, Option Strategies, Stock Tradingby thestraddletrader 3,946 views
- Loading more suggestions...