Uploaded on May 3, 2011
Many "spidermen" in China are not working on skyscrapers in the cities but building plank paths along cliffs in scenic spots.
A plank path along cliffs is taking shape in a scenic spot in Yuyang city, South China's Hunan Province. The path zigzags several hundred meters long but is only one meter wide along cliffs, without guardrail. The path builders walk on it as if in an ordinary street.
"Workers building plank paths along cliffs should at least be psychologically stable," said Zhang Bin, head of the path construction team.
A worker surnamed Yu does the most dangerous job in this team. He works with his body hung on the cliffs which are nearly perpendicular to the earth, with a 300-meter deep abyss beneath his feet.
"It's not a big deal if you take care. I have worked at this job for more than ten years," said Yu.
To these path builders, the cliffs are their work sites and also the base for their simple life.
Yu said the high mountains and perilous peaks are not the dreadful. The biggest test is how to mix and transport concrete. Their solution is a simple skid to help carry all the concrete to a spot, where it is got mixed, and then carried to the workplace by the skid.
"It is better to use this skid. It doesn't pay off to use porters. The workload transported with this skid in one day may need porters to carry for three days," said a worker surnamed Lian.
The base camp of these workers is built with canvas and wood. The workers usually stay up on the mountains for months, since it is much more difficult for them to climb down the mountain than going up there.
Yu, who has been building the plank path along cliffs for 15 years, has never taken his family out to a plank path and enjoy the scenic view.
"I have been thinking about that all the time, only I haven't got the time," Yu said.
Yueyang, Hunan, China - Recent
1. Various of plank paths along cliffs
2. Mid of path along cliffs with workers working on it
3. Mid of worker carrying steel pipe over path
4. SOUNDBITE (Chinese), Zhang Bin, head of the path construction team:
"Workers building plank paths along cliffs should at least be psychologically stable."
5. Various of worker working on cliff with his body hung along cliffs
6. Various of worker working on cliff
7. Close of foot and steel pipe on cliff
8. SOUNDBITE (Chinese), a worker surnamed Yu (with reporter asking question):
(Reporter: "Your job is the most dangerous one here, how do you surmount the difficulties?")
"It's not a big deal if you take care. I have worked at this job for more than ten years."
9. Zoom in of workers working on path along cliff
10. Various of workers working on paths along cliffs
11. SOUNDBITE (Chinese), a worker surnamed Lian (ending with shots 12-13):
"It is better to use this skid. It doesn't pay off to use porters. The workload transported with this skid in one day may need porters to carry for three days."
++SHOTS ENDING WITH SOUNDBITE++
12. Various of skids
13. Mid of concrete
++SHOTS ENDING WITH SOUNDBITE++
14. Various of ropeway
15. Close of man
16. Mid of food, pan and box
17. Zoom out of workers having meal
18. Mid of worker pushing cart on path
19. Zoom in of path along cliffs
20. Pan left of path along cliffs
21. Pan right of view of mountains
Standard YouTube License