Field eXpedients: LT Richard Todd Helmet Camo Kit dynmicpara
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jan 30, 2008
The British Army Paras lead the way in WW2
with personal camouflage jump smocks and netting on their multiple attachment point chinstrap helmets
that strips of cloth were tied to, creating effective blending in and breaking up of its distinctive outline. In contrast, American M1 Steel pot helmets wobbled with only a chinstrap and its netting was under-utilized by American Paras for camouflage. The non-Airborne infantry units didn't even have netting and went into combat with shiny green helmets. Is it a wonder we suffered over 385, 000 dead and over 1, 000, 000+ wounded in WW2? 6 years later in Korea, we were doing the same piss-poor non-camouflage practices and added another 53, 000 dead. In Vietnam, we tried to insert cut vegetation into helmet covers but this dried out and fell out.
The British Army however, particularly their Paras kept on with what works best: netting and strips for helmet camouflage.
Finally after their stunning success against all odd in the Falklands in 1982;
The American 82nd Airborne and Light Infantry Divisions "saw the light" and began wearing "ragtops"; strips sewn directly into the PASGT kevlar helmet cover. Victories in Grenada (1983)
and Panama (1989)
validated the practice but we got lazy again when the ragtops were taken off in favor of "chocolate chip" 5-color desert camouflage for Operation Desert Shield/Storm in 1990-91. What should have happened is the helmet--with netting---should have had its moist vegetated area green cloth strips switched out for TAN cloth strips. That would have been the ideal situation. Sewn-in ragtop helmet covers run for about $50 each and that CD player is sooooo much more important than creating a desert camouflage ragtop. Yeah, right. How many CDs can you listen to DEAD?
Fast forward to today's despicable mess where U.S. Army Soldiers and marines in Iraq/Afghanistan are wearing NO helmet camouflage are getting killed and maimed needlessly--
--the marines are morons and don't know any better; they've never had a clue about WHAT RIGHT LOOKS LIKE; the American Army on the other hand HAS the institutional memory, so this video was made to bring this common sense back to life.
This video is also more than a stroll down U.S. Army victory "memory lane"; it details how you can create a DETACHABLE CLOTH STRIP helmet ragtop NOW at ZERO COST using materials available at even the most god-forsaken FOB. The video shows using unused BDU buttons, but if in a hurry you can simply cut a slit by your existing helmet cover's camo slots so gutted 550 cords can be tied by knots to the cover so cut TAN strips can be tied to the cords. What's our excuse now?
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "The James Bond Theme" on
The John Barry Seven & Orchestra
- 53:26 Kings of Camouflageby Civil Digital 13,198 views
- 2:32 Richard Todd (1919-2009)by George Pollen 11,105 views
- 1:03:51 Affair In Monte Carlo 1954by TheTalisman101 1,172 views
- 2:20 DEMOLITION OF PEGASUS BRIDGE, NORMANDY 1994 ACTOR RICHARD TODD INTERVIEWEDby 2491tj 10,272 views
- 9:05 Steel Pots: The History of America's Combat Helmetsby rockwriter 6,942 views
- 6:28 The Hashish Army - Afghanistanby journeymanpictures 706,780 views
- 4:02 Mount tumbledownby bombdisposalboy 16,063 views
- 9:05 Vietnam M1 Helmetby william lewis 1,698 views
- 1:34 Richard Todd, War hero and actor, dies age 90by ITN 8,804 views
- 2:02 Anti-Nightvision camouflageby Celeon999A 364,206 views
- 1:43 Field eXpedients: WHAT WRONG LOOKS LIKEby dynmicpara 211,236 views
- 4:27 L1A1 shooting in costumeby sum12see 2,751 views
- 1:12 New british Army personal equipment (remake)by britisharmybethebest 93,065 views
- 10:45 U.S. M1 Helmet: WWII and Beyondby mannie1952 6,907 views
- 0:44 Field eXpedients: CAMTECH Camo Face Paint/Signal Mirrorsby dynmicpara 15,663 views
- 3:13 GO-KOT Camping Cotby GOKOT12 15,721 views
- 2:27 Richard Toddby rareirish 2,527 views
- 0:34 Field eXpedients: ACU Desert Camouflage Fix dynmicparaby dynmicpara 19,555 views
- 8:17 Milspecmonkey.com Shotshow 2007 Ops-Coreby milspecmonkey 27,151 views
- 1:30 Looks do matter - new SAF combat uniformby edelweiss103 120,228 views
- Loading more suggestions...