Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jun 15, 2010
The standard drop, which arrived as calculated in English units, involves a drop of between 4 and 6 feet (1.2 and 1.8 m) and came into use from 1866, when the scientific details were published by an Irish doctor, Samuel Haughton. Immediately its use spread to English-speaking countries and those where judicial systems had an English origin. It was considered a humane improvement on the short drop because it was intended to be enough to break the person's neck, causing immediate paralysis and immobilization (and probable immediate unconsciousness). This method was used to execute condemned Nazis under United States jurisdiction after the Nuremberg Trials including Joachim von Ribbentrop and Ernst Kaltenbrunner. In the execution of Ribbentrop, historian Giles MacDonogh records that: "The hangman botched the execution and the rope throttled the former foreign minister for twenty minutes before he expired."
Nazis executed under British jurisdiction, including Josef Kramer, Fritz Klein, Irma Grese and Elisabeth Volkenrath, were hanged by Albert Pierrepoint using the variable drop method devised by William Marwood.
The long drop:
This process, also known as the measured drop, was introduced to Britain in 1872 by William Marwood as a scientific advancement to the standard drop. Instead of everyone falling the same standard distance, the person's height, weight and strength were used to determine how much slack would be provided in the rope so that the distance dropped would be enough to ensure that the neck was broken but not so much that the person was decapitated.
Prior to 1892, the drop was between four and ten feet (about one to three metres), depending on the weight of the body, and was calculated to deliver a force of 1,260 lbf (5,600 newtons or 572 kgf), which fractured the neck at either the 2nd and 3rd or 4th and 5th cervical vertebrae. However, this force resulted in some decapitations, such as the famous case of "Black Jack" Tom Ketchum in New Mexico Territory in 1901. Between 1892 and 1913, the length of the drop was shortened to avoid decapitation. After 1913, other factors were also taken into account, and the force delivered was reduced to about 1,000 lbf (4,400 N or 450 kgf). The decapitation of Eva Dugan during a botched hanging in 1930 led the state of Arizona to switch to the gas chamber as its primary execution method, on the grounds that it was believed more humane. One of the more recent decapitations as a result of the long drop occurred when Barzan Ibrahim al-Tikriti was hanged in Iraq in 2007.
Standard YouTube License
- 1:55 Iran Infuriated By Film Of Woman's Stoningby goffnettFeatured 1,248,880
- 0:28 Chinese Executionby mesmoland 89,057 views
- 0:44 American Executionby mesmoland 40,936 views
- 0:23 Execution of Christieby mesmoland 35,025 views
- 0:16 man being hungby erinboth 432,657 views
- 4:16 Guillotine Footageby Xanatos147 1,066,549 views
- 91 videos Play all executionsby FastHeinz
- 9:05 WWII Nazi Trials and Executionsby WarStories 627,515 views
- 7:16 The Beasts of Belsen.by chatham43 180,861 views
- 1:42 Rudolf Hoess, former Auschwitz commandant, testifying at the Nuremberg trial, April 15, 1946by RobertHJacksonCenter 202,944 views
- 3:24 The Executions of Benito Mussolini and Clara Petacciby charlottecorday1793 1,371,510 views
- 0:31 Chilling WWII Footageby HaldorMaximius 184,580 views
- 3:43 Irma Greseby Dabbiee 71,516 views
- 5:58 ELECTRIC CHAIR EXECUTIONby hursti05 2,377,799 views
- 5:34 wanttolive50sby CollapsedCrockery 502,096 views
- 0:35 Executionby smitenjansen 757,371 views
- 2:19 Garrote vil " Ejecucion publica " ! Ay Manuela ! Patxi Andionby Adolfo Mayo 663,997 views
- 1:14 SADDAM EXECUTION REAL VIDEO NOT FAKEby SADDAM0EXECUTION 6,353,686 views
- 1:11 Ruth Ellisby CaitlynSkyeHirst 2,237,254 views
- 9:01 Pt 4 Charles Campbell execution by hanging King 5 live news coverageby bartempira 41,586 views