Mike Love - Incredibly touching tribute to The Beach Boys (with California Saga) - Grammy Museum
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jul 11, 2012
This is, in all honesty, a video that every Beach Boys fan should watch. For as long as we've known the trials and tribulations of this band, no one has been more misunderstood and misproperly labeled as "the villian" as Mike Love has. The band's history is far too complicated to be summed up in one sentence or a quick overview. The truth is, none of us were there. We don't know what really went on. But these guys were. Mike was there. He saw it from the inside.
While taking a few moments to say a few words about California Saga, Mike let's us all in and allows us inside to share some of the feelings that he's so carefully put away all these years. The emotions are raw and without filter. The entire evening was a product of the music healing old scars. That's what Beach Boys music does--it soothes and heals. Cal Saga came together to create a special moment by bringing their parent's obscurer songs back to life and in the process were able to bring in the late Carl and Dennis Wilson to join them in spirit. Everyone in the room felt their presence, no doubt. And this included Mike, as you can see here.
After the show, a friend and I tried to articulate exactly why the evening moved us as much as it did. I think it was sort of a weird collection of confused emotions that we as fans kept locked away much in the same way that Mike Love seems to have done. As Mike started to get choked up, we all went there with him too. He needed to get through those feelings and so did we, apparently (and all of you who saw the video too). So it was very much an emotional cleanse for everyone there. That's what made it so surreal. We weren't expecting it nor thought we NEEDED it. But when it happened, it was like "wow, where did this come from??" as I would also wipe away a tear.
My hope for posting this video is that it somehow acts as a step forward in trying to heal the wounds that we, the fans, may have against Mike Love. It may be hard for him to shed that image that he's accidentally built along the years but this moment right here proves that there is another side to the guy that was always there--we just never got to see it.
In the end, we are reminded that even through all the arguments, fist-fights, legal issues and tumultuous times they've had in the past, The Beach Boys were first and foremost: a family. The music was just an amazing byproduct of that simple fact.
October 4, 2012: "Mike Love Sets The Record Straight" ...Mike's explanation about the end of the 50th Anniversary tour:
Standard YouTube License
- 34:55 Mike Love on The Howard Stern Show 10/6/92by steel78668,295 views
- 12:20 The Beach Boys - 60 Minutesby ShowbizIntl49,039 views
- 27:14 Beach Boys Monument Dedication Part 1by MegaKnappster6,866 views
- 1:35:51 Deadman's Curve: The Jan and Dean Story (1978)by musiclover196615,143 views
- 4:11 "Fun, Fun, Fun" (Live) - The Beach Boys - Berkeley, Greek Theatre - June 1, 2012by concertkid250,741 views
- 4:56 Brian Wilson Surf's upby AACZZC133,198 views
- 3:40 The Beach Boys - Carl and Dennis Wilsonby TheBeachBoysVEVO35,414 views
- 1:08:24 The Beach Boys Live in Concert 50th Anniversary.by Alex Christensen120,372 views
- 9:57 The Beach Boys on ABC News 20/20 in 1981by traderfiles19,366 views
- 4:01 "Friends" - California Saga - Hollywood Bowl 6/2/12by Justin Sosa8,996 views
- 4:18 The Beach Boys - Good Vibrations - Rare Studio Recording Film Footageby Thermos67346,438 views
- 2:29 Beach Boys live '64 Little Deuce Coupeby EjZakic363,252 views
- 1:52:29 The T.A.M.I. Show 1964 [FULL LENGTH]by TheSirius911131,229 views
- 59:23 THE BEACH BOYS - DOCUMENTARYby LooseMintsAndTobacco18,013 views
- 25:58 California Saga - Full Live Performance - Los Angeles, CAby Justin Sosa12,774 views
- 7:01 Behind The Sounds: Sloop John B.by BehindTheSounds165,093 views
- 4:23 "All This Is That" - The Beach Boys and California Saga - Hollywood Bowl 6/2/12by Justin Sosa8,025 views
- 4:38 The Beach Boys Mike Love is John Stamos' Daddy!by LBPP (now LB Independent.com)24,964 views
- 2:39 The Beach Boys & Annette Funicello - The Monkey's Uncleby j peoplemover180,293 views
- 5:14 Isn't It Time Beach Boys Phoenix 7-7-12by utubey1002,982 views
- Loading more suggestions...