This video is unavailable.
Doing Well by Doing Good: A Conversation with Matthew Flannery and John Wood
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jun 25, 2012
[Recorded: June 12, 2012]
The man who dies rich, dies disgraced
Andrew Carnegie (1835-1919)
Andrew Carnegie made a fortune in steel. His net worth was roughly $300 billion in today's dollars. Then he gave it all away, mostly to build schools, universities, museums and libraries. When Carnegie died, his last $30 million went to charities, foundations and pensioners. Carnegie believed that philanthropy was the only reason to amass an enormous fortune.
Today, we're creating more wealth than at any time in history. Who are today's Carnegies? They're called social entrepreneurs. They combine a passion for inciting social change with the tough discipline of a global corporation. It's about creating innovative products and services to address desperate human needs -- and insisting on long-term, measurable results. Can social entrepreneurship reduce illiteracy, disease, malnutrition, environmental degradation and other pressing ills?
Matt Flannery and John Wood came to the Computer History Museum to share their first-hand experiences in using business tactics to do good works. Matt began developing Kiva in late 2004 as a side-project while working as a computer programmer at TiVo, Inc. Former Microsoft executive John Wood founded Room to Read, which publishes and supplies books, builds libraries and schools, and provides scholarships for girls to developing countries. It's a classic bottom-up strategy based on Woods' belief that world change starts with educated children. He told his story in a bestselling memoir, Leaving Microsoft to Change the World.
These two Revolutionaries share a background as successful technology entrepreneurs who made the transition to becoming successful social entrepreneurs. How and why did they do it? What traits and skills were transferable, which were not? Is there something endemic about the technology industry that generates so many of these 21st century philanthropists? What qualities do they think are crucial to bringing about social change? And, what advice would they give to the next generation -- of both technology and social entrepreneurs?
Join KQED's Dave Iverson for an inspiring, educational and thought-provoking conversation with two leading social entrepreneurs.
Standard YouTube License
- 23:21 A Conversation with Actor Max Gail ~ Part Twoby TruckerDesireeFeatured 518
- 1:26:12 Chroniclers of Technology: An Evening with David Kirkpatrick, Steven Levy & John Markoffby ComputerHistory 836 views
- 1:59:15 From Codebreaking to Computing: Remembrances of Bletchley Park 50 Years Laterby ComputerHistory 2,589 views
- 1:18:23 An Evening with IBM Research's Dr. John Kellyby ComputerHistory 649 views
- 53:14 Paul Allen:Idea Manby ComputerHistory 1,689 views
- 1:22:57 John Wood of Room to Read at NYU Reynolds, 10/12/11by NYUReynoldsProgram 302 views
- 1:12:51 What's Next? Plenary Conversation - CGI America 2012by CGIVideos 1,740 views
- 4:10 CGI Stories: John Wood (2010)by CGIVideos 1,609 views
- 1:02:48 In Conversation with Daniel Kahnemanby lsewebsite 6,077 views
- 1:12:32 Matt Flannery, Co-Founder of Kiva.org, on Microfinance and Entrepreneurshipby SantaClaraCSTS 410 views
- 12:36 Power Turbines and Thermocouplesby AgentJayZ 5,957 views
- 1:06:19 John Smart on Singularity 1 on 1: Accelerating Change Isn't Slowing Downby Nikola Danaylov 1,445 views
- 6:29 John Wood speaking at The Power Withinby speakerchannel 12,422 views
- 1:14:22 John Wood, Christy Chin, and Anne Marie Burgoyne at NYU Reynolds 10/22/12by NYUReynoldsProgram 47 views
- 2:01 Why Be Happy When You Could Be Interesting?by Big Think 334,667 views
- 1:20:15 "Room to Read: Globalizing Carnegie's Vision for Libraries" with John Woodby HarvardEducation 1,387 views
- 8:42 How to Strip Stain From Wood : Furniture Repair Tipsby ehowathomechannel 47,566 views
- 3:55 Five Solid Startup Lessons by Aaron Levieby mbainavideo 1,925 views
- 16:06 Geeks of Action: Balancing the Mat and the Worldby buddhistgeeks 827 views
- 8:56 R-Squared Energy TV Ep.6: What is Energy Return on Energy Invested (EROEI)by ConsumerEnergyReport 678 views
- Loading more suggestions...