The Adagio in G minor for violin, strings and organ continuo, is a neo-Baroque composition popularly attributed to the 18th century Venetian master Tomaso Albinoni, but in fact composed almost entirely by the 20th century musicologist and Albinoni biographer Remo Giazotto.
Although the composition is usually referred to as "Albinoni's Adagio," or "Adagio in G minor by Albinoni, arranged by Giazotto," the attribution is inverted. Albinoni's contribution to it rests upon Giazotto's purported discovery of a tiny manuscript fragment (consisting of a few measures of the melody line and basso continuo portion) from a slow second movement of an Albinoni trio sonata. According to Giazotto's account, he obtained the document shortly after the end of World War II from the Saxon State Library in Dresden, which − though its buildings were destroyed in the bombing raids of February and March 1945 by the British and American Air Forces − had evacuated and preserved most of its collection. Giazotto concluded the manuscript fragment was a portion of a church sonata (sonata da chiesa, one of two standard forms of the trio sonata) in G minor composed by Albinoni, possibly as part of his Op. 4 set, around 1708. Giazotto himself then constructed the balance of the complete single-movement work around the fragmentary theme he ascribed to Albinoni, copyrighted it, and published it in 1958. It has thus been established as a entirely original work by Giazotto.
Giazotto never produced the manuscript fragment, however, and since his death in 1998 no record of its ever having been among the collection of the Saxon State Library has been found. Based on this evidence (or lack of it), it has been concluded that the piece is entirely Giazotto's own composition.