- Startups - Naval Ravikant of AngelList - TWiST #244
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Mar 30, 2012
1:00-2:00 Hi everyone, we're excited to have Naval Ravikant, the co-founder of AngelList, with us on the program today.
2:00-3:00 How many people have raised money on AngelList?
3:00-4:45 When did the first A round get done on AngelList?
4:45-6:15 So you think moderate success is the hard part?
6:15-8:45 What's an actual, true overnight success?
8:45-11:45 What do you think when you hear a story of someone like OMGPOP?
11:45-12:15 Would AngelList have worked ten years ago? What were your prior attempts?
12:15-14:30 How do you respond to the critique that weak companies are getting funded and there are too many startups?
14:30-17:00 Thank you to LiquidWeb for supporting TWiST! Show you appreciate them backing independent media by tweeting thanks to @LiquidWeb!
17:00-19:15 So, when a lot of people follow a company but they don't close the round, how does the entrepreneur take that?
19:15-20:00 So people are raising money from folks like Dave McClure?
20:00-23:00 As an angel, what should I be doing? Should I join a VC firm?
23:00-25:00 There are people who call themselves broker and will help you make deals. Is this normal?
25:00-27:30 How do you respond to VCs who have tried to paint you in a negative light? What are the criticisms?
27:30-31:00 So Obama's jobs act passed this week. What impact do you think that will have?
31:00-34:30 I saw that Democrats were fighting this citing fears that people will get scammed. Is that a valid concern?
34:30-35:30 If you could raise a million dollars every year, you could essentially fund a Facebook-like company within a few years.
35:30-37:00 Is there a bubble in the angel space?
37:00-41:45 Thank you to Walker Corporate Law for their support! Thank them @ScottEdWalker!
41:45-43:30 So how does the stock market affect things?
43:30-43:45 Do you think you're creating more angel investors?
45:45-48:30 What do you think the impact of the Facebook IPO will be?
48:30-50:00 Do you think Kickstarter is going to start taking equity?
50:00-55:00 Aside from disrupting the space and helping entrepreneurs, what is AngelList in the business of?
55:00-56:00 If you force CEOs to take ownership of recruiting instead of outsourcing it, you get better results.
56:00-58:00 What's your advice for someone who wants to put a company on the site?
58:00-59:30 How big is your team now?
59:30-1:03:00 What's your goal in life now?
1:03:00-1:05:00 Is being a billionaire a goal for you?
1:05:00-1:06:45 Do you know what the SEC thinks of AngelList?
1:06:45-1:10:15 Have you had any bad experiences with VCs? What's the worst story you've ever heard about a VC interaction?
1:10:15-1:12:30 What do you think of the space we're in now? What does the future hold?
1:12:30-1:13:15 Naval, this conversation has been so amazing. Thank you so much for coming on the program. We'll see you all next time!
Support This Week in Startups and independent media by joining the TWiST Producer Program at TwistList.co!
Multilingual? Translate this episode of TWiST into another language and email the transcript to firstname.lastname@example.org
Keep up with the latest from our sister company, LAUNCH:
LAUNCH Education & Kids, June 12 and 13
LAUNCH Festival Wrap-up: Winners, Investments and More
Where Over $1M in LAUNCH Festival Prize Money is Going
LAUNCH Festival 2012 Winners
Who Launched at the 2012 LAUNCH Festival
FOLLOW ON TWITTER
Walker Corporate Law: @scottedwalker
Standard YouTube License
- 1:35:07 Steve Jurvetson never sells a share of a company he invests inby This Week In Startups5,363 views
- 44:42 Wikipedia's forgotten founder Larry Sangerby This Week In Startups1,800 views
- 36:28 Chamath on why the government shutdown is basically meaninglessby This Week In Startups6,320 views
- 55:27 HandUp wants to solve homelessness and make money doing itby This Week In Startups589 views
- 6:36 The 4 Steps to give up sugarby whatactuallyworkstv12,339 views
- 52:40 Sphero robotic balls might be the smartest and coolest toy ever (FIXED)by This Week In Startups1,303 views
- 50:43 Tinder & Lyft: homescreen for 20 somethingsby This Week In Startups2,249 views
- 1:22:37 Bill Warner on wins and misses in angel investingby This Week In Startups1,943 views
- 46:54 AdStage brings online ad spend into one placeby This Week In Startups2,309 views
- 43:24 Pebble & Misfit Wearables: redefining smart sensorsby This Week In Startups1,375 views
- 33:54 Aaron Levie on Box Notes and the future of the cloudby This Week In Startups2,958 views
- 44:45 QuizUp's Thor Fridriksson on his addictive appby This Week In Startups2,811 views
- 42:18 Flipboard and Pandora, gamechangers in mobileby This Week In Startups1,987 views
- 3:53 iWatch Rumoursby cnetuk89,529 views
- 39:57 Cloudability makes it simple to track your cloud spendingby This Week In Startups1,337 views
- 7:26 Into The Lair #9 Part 2/2 - Methods for Deep and Wide Mixesby This Week In Startups42,302 views
- 1:36 Apple iWatchby avstudioo73,513 views
- 14:40 Bing Launch of the Week: Motorola & Phonebloks, supersonic jet, 3D printer FORM1by This Week In Startups693 views
- 1:02:21 AngelList syndicates, gadgets on planes and Launch of the Week! TWiST News Roundtableby This Week In Startups2,266 views
- 1:10:36 Evernote's Rafe interviews Jason on what's next for startupsby This Week In Startups2,570 views
- Loading more suggestions...