Connecting The Dots: Words Matter...Especially in Sales (The Dotted Line)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Feb 22, 2011
Years ago my first real sales mentor taught me about, what he called non-fluencies.
We recorded an actual sales call with the intent of breaking it down and critiquing it. Then the goal was simple, continue with the good, eliminate the bad and alter the neutral or something like that. After the sales call was over, the boss told me he had been waiting for the right time to help me understand non-fluencies and the time was now!
He asked me if I was aware that I used and inserted the words "ya know" into my speech. I said "yea, I guess so". He asked me how often I thought I did this. I said "a few times...is it a problem?" He replied I'll let you judge for yourself.
He then played the tape and asked me to count. I was in the twenties within just a few minutes. I was shocked!
Thankfully he didn't make me count for the entire 45 minute call...it would have been hundreds.
I couldn't believe it and I wondered what I must have sounded like to my potential client. My boss answered that question and it wasn't good.
This problem in speech is very (VERY) common. We all do it! It actually has an official name: embolalia and it is defined as the insertion of meaningless words and sounds into speech.
The bad news is we've all done it and do it...the good news is it can be eliminated by simply becoming aware of it.
Pay attention today to other's speech and especially your own. Embolalia (non-fluencies) are most likely to occur when we feel the need to insert something into speech in order to gain little thinking time.
Slow down, think and let a small space of silence happen. You'll sound better. They won't be distracted by your valueless fillers and communication will be enhanced.
Coach your team and give them permission to coach you. This is an easy improvement to make in our communication skills.
Standard YouTube License
- 44:02 BECOME A MASTER DOOR TO DOOR HVAC SALES REPby Robert Mudenge2,952 views
- 56:45 Inspirational Must Watch by Business Expert Grant Cardone - Real Estateby Grant Cardone14,420 views
- 50:39 How to Start from Nothing in New Economy - Cardone Zoneby Grant Cardone6,965 views
- 50:18 Zig Ziglar - The Complete Sales Closing Seminar.by Paul Barrs24,725 views
- 1:03:20 How to Get 10x Success with Grant Cardoneby Ali Amirrezvani21,675 views
- 30:12 - Sales - Why Salespeople Should NEVER Cold Callby This Week In Startups9,204 views
- 58:27 How to Work a Car Deal - Automotive Sales Training - Jim Zieglerby Sean Bradley70,880 views
- 14:16 Deric Lipski vs a Really tough Expired Listing Cold Call LIVE!!!by Deric Lipski70,171 views
- 13:34 Eliminate The Fear of Rejection, Cold Calling, & Approach Anxietyby Cesar L. Rodriguez38,864 views
- 22:32 Door To Door Sales Training 1 of 2by Paul Shakuri18,069 views
- 5:20 Call Plan - EIM - Sean Frontz - Playbookby Ninety FiveFive125 views
- 6:31 Closing the Sale: 9 Common Objectionsby Brian Tracy79,426 views
- 1:18:00 Grant Cardone speaking at The Huizenga Sales Instituteby Grant Cardone20,788 views
- 5:46 "5 BAD Words You Should NEVER Say (in sales copy)!"...by Jim Edwards33,793 views
- 54:54 ग्राहक की ना को हाँ में कैसे बदलें Part 1 Closing Sales Technique Life Insurance (Hindi)by Ts Madaan42,059 views
- 9:42 Interview with authorial-Selfby gldek3,032 views
- 8:06 Sales Secrets to fast conversions - the one fear that has been holding you backby Suzanne Evans399 views
- 7:13 Sold One Of The Best Door-To-Door Salesman Ever!by gadavou184,453 views
- 40:33 Grant Cardone - Selling and Closing - The Mojo Showby mojovideomarketing46,628 views
- 7:44 Zig Ziglar - Secrets for Closing the Sale - "The Shame Close"by Saša Đurić256,736 views
- Loading more suggestions...