Tom Perkins - The Greatest Sailboat Ever - Maltese Falcon
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jul 6, 2007
Tom Perkins, the venture capitalist behind such companies as Google, Genentech, Amazon, and AOL, doesn't do things halfway. When he collected vintage cars, for instance, he had the world's largest collection of Bugatti automobiles. And when he decided to pursue a lifelong dream and build a sailing yacht, he went the whole nine yards: He decided it would be the world's largest yacht--big enough to fit Noah's Ark on its deck. He wanted it to sail at a record 26 knots, under unprecedented physical forces. And, he thought, having built this marine wonder, why not use it to try to smash the 155--year--old world sailing record from New York to San Francisco around Cape Horn?
Thus the Maltese Falcon--the largest private sailing vessel ever constructed--was born.
Perkins is a sailor as well as a dreamer, and he loves the romantic idea of sailing--and the magnificent ships of yore with names like Cutty Sark and Sea Witch that conjured up images of speed and danger. So Perkins set out to build "the perfect yacht"--as long as a football field, 42 feet wide, and with three masts so tall they will just fit under the great suspension bridges of the world. The Maltese Falcon, as he's dubbed his ship (since its home berth will be Malta), will use technology no clipper skipper ever imagined--a rig with no sheets, no stays, no halyards--just free--standing, rotating carbon fiber masts with 18 sails surging freely in the wind. At $87 million, it will be a technological marvel--as complex as the man himself. The famed Perini Navi yard in Turkey put the Falcon in the water in 2006, ready for sea trials.
There is some competition to the title of the grandest yacht of all--the Athena (being built by Netscape founder Jim Clark) and the Mirabella V (being built by Avis Car Rental magnate Joe Vittoria). Athena will be the largest sloop, and Mirabella V the largest schooner. But the Maltese Falcon will be a marvel of mechanics, engineering, and techonology, married with the romance of the age of sail, dressed out in the finest accommodations money can buy and the human mind can imagine. More than just the story of the boat, The Falcon is a broader profile of the combination of ambition, recklessness, bravado, and achievements of a 21st century entrepreneur and his time.
Standard YouTube License
- 1:58 Maltese Falcon sails under San Francisco Golden Gate Bridgeby TibTV: tiburon, californiaFeatured 178,998
- 2:05 Hydrofoil Speed recordby ptoleme 2,078,147 views
- 10:31 maltese falconby Ben Jacobsen 96,458 views
- 0:35 sailboat troubleby oemagnus 394,128 views
- 71 videos Play all schoonersby jssoul
- 8:31 Hydroptere - Fastest Sailboat in the Worldby yachtpals 412,553 views
- 1:21 Point Panic! Rogue wave nearly takes out sailboat in Waikiki Harborby fo20net 1,013,819 views
- 1:54 Sailing Mega Yachtby yachtpals 23,823 views
- 1:04 Helicopter flies over Maltese Falcon at Golden Gate Bridgeby TibTV 15,321 views
- 0:45 Stormy weatherby Chris Ri 1,852,074 views
- 7:23 Mirabella V on Travel Channelby justanother7 99,823 views
- 16:53 MythBusters' Adam Savage - Dodos, Maltese Falcons, and the Art of Obsessionby ForaTv 203,395 views
- 1:51 Sailboat struggling against fast current in Deception Passby Earl Doan 81,084 views
- 3:00 Balboa 26 Sailboat For Sale!by Marianne Cook 23,558 views
- 1:33 Perini naviby Alessandro Stefani 37,543 views
- 6:23 How to Sail a Sailboat : How to Sail a Boat Downwindby expertvillage 83,718 views
- 2:55 Mast stepping on a sailboatby gilligan2112 101,542 views
- 2:48 Largest Racing Trimaran Sailboat in the World - Sailingby yachtpals 110,578 views
- 8:14 Mirabella Vby justanother7 74,708 views
- 1:44 Dubai - The 2nd largest private yacht in the worldby Russell Magdytch 621,691 views
- 9:47 50" Gulfstar Tour of Sabbaticalby Alhnelson 57,894 views
- Loading more suggestions...