Obama signs 858 Billion Dollar tax deal Friday December 2010
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Dec 17, 2010
President Barack Obama plans to sign an $858 billion tax deal into law on Friday afternoon.
The House of Representatives gave final approval late Thursday night to the deal, negotiated by the White House and top Senate Republicans. The final vote of 277-148 had almost equal numbers of Democrats and Republicans in support.
The package includes a two-year extension of the Bush-era tax cuts set to expire December 31. It also would extend unemployment benefits for 13 months, cut the payroll tax by 2 percentage points for a year, restore the estate tax at a lower level and continue a series of other tax breaks.
The bill, which cleared the Senate 81-19 on Wednesday, passed despite objections from both the left and the right. However, the pending expiration of the lower tax rates dating back to 2001 created a deadline that forced both sides to accept provisions they had long opposed.
Obama and congressional Democrats yielded in their opposition to extending the lower tax rates to wealthy Americans and also agreed to a lower estate tax than had been scheduled to take effect. In return, Republicans led by Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell agreed to extending unemployment benefits along with the payroll tax cut and other tax breaks that conservatives generally oppose as government stimulus measures.
Senate Republicans insisted on all taxpayers getting the same treatment. They used filibusters to block Democratic measures that would have limited the extended tax cuts to individuals earning less than $200,000 a year and families earning less than $250,000 a year, and then those earning less than $1 million a year.
Standard YouTube License
- 2:02 Obama signs tax cut package; what this means for you.by WOOD TV8937 views
- 12:30 Rush Limbaugh - Unemployment and Bush era Tax Cutsby Fent12311,003 views
- 1:47 Gabrielle Gifford shot in a Grocery Storeby TheMindlessGarbage296 views
- 27:01 Basic Income Tax Course - Part 1by JCCCvideo80,911 views
- 29:03 Unemployment Extensions: Congress (House) Passes Tax Bill H.R. 4853 - Unemployment TUTORIAL - 99er'sby TRK3873,332 views
- 10:05 Ron Paul - C-Span Newsmakers December 19, 2010 Part 1by 3rdEchel0n1,015 views
- 12:58 60 Minutes - The 99'ersby Randy, The Lazy Comic3,146 views
- 1:55 Obama: Tax deal could end presidencyby nakor667194 views
- 5:12 Excerpt from Home Loans From Hell (December 14, 2010)by Dan Rather Reports682 views
- 3:37 Reid: Obama Wants To "Steal Power" From Us--"I'm Going To Fight As Hard As I Can Against Him"by Greg Hengler13,931 views
- 1:06 Vieira to Michele Bachmann Why Won't You 'Mean Spirited' Republicans Extend Unemployment Benefitsby Mcbogsters2,036 views
- 14:12 Floridas Hair Hatted Queen Of Tax & Welfare Fraud Gets 21 Years In Jail From Her White Daddy!by TNN Raw Uncut116,357 views
- 1:00:59 Free Lunch: How the Wealthiest Americans Enrich Themselves at Government Expense, part 2by MSLawdotedu8,865 views
- 1:16 ET/UFO Disclosure | The Official Deadline | December 31, 2010by ETDisclosure22,807 views
- 17:30 Deferred Tax Asset & Deferred Tax Liability (Basic Understanding, Tax Vs Financial Accounting)by Allen Mursau11,063 views
- 12:38 Obama's Tax Cut Deal: Will Democrats Support?by CBS195 views
- 8:03 Steve Gill on This Week with Bob Mueller, 12/19/10by stevegillshow126 views
- 7:50 Tax the Rich: An animated fairy taleby Fred Glass467,877 views
- 15:09 Unemployment Extensions News: Black Democratic Caucus Introduces H.R.6556 (99er's 14 weeks)by TRK3871,384 views
- 7:12 Joe's Econ Unemployment Video!by josephANDtara160 views
- Loading more suggestions...