Obama signs 858 Billion Dollar tax deal Friday December 2010
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Dec 17, 2010
President Barack Obama plans to sign an $858 billion tax deal into law on Friday afternoon.
The House of Representatives gave final approval late Thursday night to the deal, negotiated by the White House and top Senate Republicans. The final vote of 277-148 had almost equal numbers of Democrats and Republicans in support.
The package includes a two-year extension of the Bush-era tax cuts set to expire December 31. It also would extend unemployment benefits for 13 months, cut the payroll tax by 2 percentage points for a year, restore the estate tax at a lower level and continue a series of other tax breaks.
The bill, which cleared the Senate 81-19 on Wednesday, passed despite objections from both the left and the right. However, the pending expiration of the lower tax rates dating back to 2001 created a deadline that forced both sides to accept provisions they had long opposed.
Obama and congressional Democrats yielded in their opposition to extending the lower tax rates to wealthy Americans and also agreed to a lower estate tax than had been scheduled to take effect. In return, Republicans led by Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell agreed to extending unemployment benefits along with the payroll tax cut and other tax breaks that conservatives generally oppose as government stimulus measures.
Senate Republicans insisted on all taxpayers getting the same treatment. They used filibusters to block Democratic measures that would have limited the extended tax cuts to individuals earning less than $200,000 a year and families earning less than $250,000 a year, and then those earning less than $1 million a year.
Standard YouTube License
- 2:22 Al Qaeda Christmas Attack 2010 with link in descriptionby TheMindlessGarbage 90 views
- 1:47 Gabrielle Gifford shot in a Grocery Storeby TheMindlessGarbage 294 views
- 1:55 Obama: Tax deal could end presidencyby nakor667 178 views
- 1:06 Vieira to Michele Bachmann Why Won't You 'Mean Spirited' Republicans Extend Unemployment Benefitsby Mcbogsters 1,930 views
- 7:50 Tax the Rich: An animated fairy taleby Fred Glass 396,863 views
- 200 videos Play all TWT Playlestby DragonLance79
- 29:03 Unemployment Extensions: Congress (House) Passes Tax Bill H.R. 4853 - Unemployment TUTORIAL - 99er'sby TRK387 3,310 views
- 12:05 Michael Savage on Barack Obama and Bill Clinton Playing Tag as President - (December 10, 2010)by imitator777 9,624 views
- 7:12 Joe's Econ Unemployment Video!by josephANDtara 157 views
- 2:36 Done Deal House passes TAX and Unemployment bill 12/16 @ 11:45pm EST..by 916edward 276 views
- 3:37 Reid: Obama Wants To "Steal Power" From Us--"I'm Going To Fight As Hard As I Can Against Him"by Greg Hengler 13,918 views
- 3:06 2 Million to lose unemployment benefits December 01 2010by Steven St.Amand 615 views
- 6:02 Run Tell That: Religious Hyprocrites and Babies on Facebook.by AgalopeUnitron 198 views
- 12:38 Obama's Tax Cut Deal: Will Democrats Support?by CBS 195 views
- 15:09 Unemployment Extensions News: Black Democratic Caucus Introduces H.R.6556 (99er's 14 weeks)by TRK387 1,374 views
- 32:25 President Obama at Michigan Commencementby whitehouse 451,908 views
- 18:55 President Obama on the Green Fleet Initiativeby whitehouse 18,874 views
- 12:30 Rush Limbaugh - Unemployment and Bush era Tax Cutsby Fent1231 891 views
- 0:21 Chris Matthews Hopes 'SOB' McConnell Gets 'Stung Hard' On Gunsby yazchat 3,052 views
- 13:22 Obama Sells Politics of Austerityby TheRealNews 4,322 views
- 3:46 Peter Schiff 'Investor' Is 'Over The Moon' After Taking 56% Hit To Portfolioby SchittReport 1,199 views
- Loading more suggestions...