Controlled Bleeding "Bees (Parts 1 - 6)" Video
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jan 9, 2009
Visit the Controlled Bleeding website at http://www.controlledbleeding.com or on MySpace at
Check out Winged Disk Records at http://www.wingeddiskrecords.com
Controlled Bleeding is an experimental group that was originally formed in Boston around 1978 by Paul Lemos, Jack Salerno and Dave Southerland. Later, returning to Massapequa, New York, Lemos joined forces with old school chums, Gary Pecorino and Tony Meola in the first recorded version of the band, creating instrumental music that has been described as a collision between The Ramones and Mahavishnu Orchestra.
Pecorino and Lemos would soon part ways due to musical differences over the presence of the three hundred pound scat singing eccentric that is Joe Papa. (Papa answered an ad for a singer in a local music paper, since the group was getting frustrated by the lack of response to their instrumental exercises). With the addition of Chris Moriarty on drums and a few other players, the band continued briefly, but soon imploded after their first disastrous show with the new expanded line up.
Frustrated working with others, Lemos soon started venting his inner poisons through solo experiments in pure screaming cacophony, first documented on the SWALLOWING SCRAP METAL cassette compilation issued in 1982. After receiving encouraging response to these first noise experiments, Lemos recruited Moriarty and Papa once more and soon embarked on a violent creative course that resulted in cassette releases on early noise labels like Broken Flag, XXX, and Swinging Axe. The band's classic first album, KNEES AND BONES which now stands as one of the earliest documents of American power electronics, was issued in 1983.
Through the course of the next few years, the group would issue a number of varied releases, moving away from pure noise into more textural areas. Albums like BODY SAMPLES, CURD, SONGS FROM THE DRAIN, and BETWEEN TIDES capture the group's raw, increasingly sophisticated aesthetic, blending elements of noise, prog rock, sacred music and musique concrete into something that was very much their own.
Although most of their music has been fiercely experimental, Controlled Bleeding did work with Wax Trax! and Road Runner Records, issuing a handful of very visible, intensely rhythmic records. Recordings like TRUDGE and PENETRATION document this period and have dated surprisingly well.
Unfortunately, these more commercial endeavors never sat well with Lemos, and he soon moved away from the commercial marketplace almost entirely, issuing dark sonic experiments like those found on the group's best works, THE DROWNING, INANITION, DUB SONGS FROM A SHALLOW GRAVE, GILDED SHADOWS and THE POISONER CDs. Moriarty would soon leave the fold to pursue his own music in Body Clock, while Lemos and Papa would continue developing music of mournful, spiritual depth (MUSIC FOR STOLEN ICONS ll, GOLGOTHA CDs).
Although various side projects came and went through the years (Joined at the Head, Fat Hacker, In Blind Embrace, Breastfed Yak and Skin Chamber), Controlled Bleeding still exists.
The band's sound is confusingly varied from album to album and has contained elements of dub, free jazz, noise, prog, sacred music, dark ambient, classical and music concrete. "Bees (Parts 1 - 6)," is a collection of six short pieces combining spastic, experimental jazz with head-splitting noise.
Paul Lemos: Bass, Vocals, Guitar
Joe Papa: Vocals
With assistance from Jay d'Nofrio on drums.
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Water Song" on
The Breast Fed Yak
- 39:40 Luis Miguel Mis Romances CD Completo (2001)by Adrian Raya Alcala81,280 views
- 50:38 Controlled Bleeding - Headcrackby Virgil Pink2,189 views
- 33:40 Controlled Bleeding - The Poisoner (Part One)by blackpanda321,404 views
- 5 videos Play all Controlled Bleedingby AmonMortis
- 24:55 Controlled Bleeding - Knees And Bones LP part1.by ThomasFastforward1,262 views
- 8:52 Controlled Bleeding - Knees (Excerpt)by postmortemjunkie5,664 views
- 4:41 Controlled Bleeding Live Improv at Tonic, NYC Part 1 of 2by Winged Disk3,592 views
- 6:25 Controlled Bleeding - The Drowningby InsaneJericho662,197 views
- 6:47 Controlled Bleeding | NYC @ Silent Barn | 14 Jan 2011by unARTigNYC1,253 views
- 5:22 Controlled Bleeding - Buried Blessingby kollaps4,728 views
- 6:45 Controlled Bleeding - Red Hands Waitingby aXisfon8,648 views
- 6:36 Paul Lemos of Controlled Bleeding Discusses Skin Chamberby Winged Disk3,780 views
- 17:07 Controlled Bleeding - A Nation's Nightmareby AdobemanAZ22,770 views
- 9:30 Controlled Bleeding - Another Brick In The Wallby Virgil Pink3,063 views
- 3:43 Controlled Bleeding - Now is the Timeby oldschoolrivethead3,292 views
- 6:33 Controlled Bleeding - Words [Of The Dying]by DaemonDescent696 views
- 0:36 Beekeeping,Virgin Queen Bee Piping On Honey Comb by John Pluta,Beekeeperby johnpluta43,528 views
- 7:13 Controlled Bleeding | NYC @ The Acheron | 27 Nov 2010by unARTigNYC3,092 views
- 6:29 Controlled Bleeding - Words of the Dyingby EnochLight1,997 views
- 5:13 Controlled Bleeding - Rhythm For A Body Bagby WeHaveExplosive2,789 views