THE CHARTER FOR COMPASSION
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Nov 12, 2009
AFFIRM the Charter today: http://charterforcompassion.org
Video Produced by: Captain & The Fox (captainandthefox.com) in partnership with WORKSHOP (workshoplovesyou.com).
Video Music Composed by: Naturalistic (naturalistic.net)
The principle of compassion lies at the heart of all religious, ethical and spiritual traditions, calling us always to treat all others as we wish to be treated ourselves. Compassion impels us to work tirelessly to alleviate the suffering of our fellow creatures, to dethrone ourselves from the centre of our world and put another there, and to honour the inviolable sanctity of every single human being, treating everybody, without exception, with absolute justice, equity and respect.
It is also necessary in both public and private life to refrain consistently and empathically from inflicting pain. To act or speak violently out of spite, chauvinism, or self-interest, to impoverish, exploit or deny basic rights to anybody, and to incite hatred by denigrating others - even our enemies - is a denial of our common humanity. We acknowledge that we have failed to live compassionately and that some have even increased the sum of human misery in the name of religion.
We therefore call upon all men and women ~ to restore compassion to the centre of morality and religion ~ to return to the ancient principle that any interpretation of scripture that breeds violence, hatred or disdain is illegitimate ~ to ensure that youth are given accurate and respectful information about other traditions, religions and cultures ~ to encourage a positive appreciation of cultural and religious diversity ~ to cultivate an informed empathy with the suffering of all human beings, even those regarded as enemies.
We urgently need to make compassion a clear, luminous and dynamic force in our polarized world. Rooted in a principled determination to transcend selfishness, compassion can break down political, dogmatic, ideological and religious boundaries. Born of our deep interdependence, compassion is essential to human relationships and to a fulfilled humanity. It is the path to enlightenment, and indispensible to the creation of a just economy and a peaceful global community.
Standard YouTube License
- 3:32 Charter for Compassionby CharterforCompassion 97,064 views
- 1:52 Karen Armstrong unveils the charter for compassionby CharterforCompassion 10,042 views
- 1:36 Charter for Compassion - The 1st Assignment with Adrian Grenierby CharterforCompassion 8,421 views
- 10:01 Matthieu Ricard on Compassonby CharterforCompassion 10,121 views
- 8:33 Karen Armstrong on the End of Days Ideologyby Bill Hughes 34,688 views
- 5:13 U.S. Catholic's Five Questions with Karen Armstrongby USCatholic 14,508 views
- 21:28 Karen Armstrong: 2008 TED Prize wish: Charter for Compassionby TEDtalksDirector 101,593 views
- 2:38 Dalai Lama - Why compassion?by Buddha7575 25,185 views
- 33 videos Play all Love & Compassionby alidavision
- 1:29:32 Centrality of Compassion in Human Life and Societyby StanfordUniversity 52,845 views
- 3:18 Compassion-Buddhist Songby Khmer Buddhist Network 149,398 views
- 3:02 Charter for Compassion - One Year Anniversary ft. Rainn Wilsonby FetzerInstitute 18,875 views
- 1:33:45 His Holiness the XIV Dalai Lama: Peace Through Compassionby ucberkeleycampuslife 106,161 views
- 3:01 Great Compassion Mantraby DarkMind001 322,227 views
- 1:32:48 The Case for God: Karen Armstrong at St Paul's Cathedralby StPaulsLondon 6,930 views
- 8:02 Bishop Fulton Sheen on False Compassion(Part I)by wonderboy021082 50,188 views
- 13:19 Joan Halifax: Compassion and the true meaning of empathyby TEDtalksDirector 47,396 views
- 18:11 An Interview with Karen Armstrong - Part 1 of 3by CFCPak 1,598 views
- 9:59 Compassion - Dalai Lama, Muhammad Ali, Thomas Mertonby knewways 45,544 views
- 1:39 Sheena The Leopard Shows Compassion To a Mouse-Pay Attention World Leadersby humanswin 5,971 views
- 9:52 Karen Armstrong: Let's revive the Golden Ruleby TEDtalksDirector 37,733 views
- Loading more suggestions...