THE CHARTER FOR COMPASSION
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Nov 12, 2009
AFFIRM the Charter today: http://charterforcompassion.org
Video Produced by: Captain & The Fox (captainandthefox.com) in partnership with WORKSHOP (workshoplovesyou.com).
Video Music Composed by: Naturalistic (naturalistic.net)
The principle of compassion lies at the heart of all religious, ethical and spiritual traditions, calling us always to treat all others as we wish to be treated ourselves. Compassion impels us to work tirelessly to alleviate the suffering of our fellow creatures, to dethrone ourselves from the centre of our world and put another there, and to honour the inviolable sanctity of every single human being, treating everybody, without exception, with absolute justice, equity and respect.
It is also necessary in both public and private life to refrain consistently and empathically from inflicting pain. To act or speak violently out of spite, chauvinism, or self-interest, to impoverish, exploit or deny basic rights to anybody, and to incite hatred by denigrating others - even our enemies - is a denial of our common humanity. We acknowledge that we have failed to live compassionately and that some have even increased the sum of human misery in the name of religion.
We therefore call upon all men and women ~ to restore compassion to the centre of morality and religion ~ to return to the ancient principle that any interpretation of scripture that breeds violence, hatred or disdain is illegitimate ~ to ensure that youth are given accurate and respectful information about other traditions, religions and cultures ~ to encourage a positive appreciation of cultural and religious diversity ~ to cultivate an informed empathy with the suffering of all human beings, even those regarded as enemies.
We urgently need to make compassion a clear, luminous and dynamic force in our polarized world. Rooted in a principled determination to transcend selfishness, compassion can break down political, dogmatic, ideological and religious boundaries. Born of our deep interdependence, compassion is essential to human relationships and to a fulfilled humanity. It is the path to enlightenment, and indispensible to the creation of a just economy and a peaceful global community.
Standard YouTube License
- 9:26 Releasing the Human Egoby PatriciaCotaRobles Featured 362,958
- Compassion International 321 videos2K
- 3:32 Charter for Compassionby CharterforCompassion98,917 views
- 10:01 Matthieu Ricard on Compassonby CharterforCompassion11,079 views
- 1:36 Charter for Compassion - The 1st Assignment with Adrian Grenierby CharterforCompassion8,878 views
- 1:52 Karen Armstrong unveils the charter for compassionby CharterforCompassion10,200 views
- 1:35:37 (HD) Conversations on Compassion with James Doty, MD, and Thich Nhat Hanhby CCARE at Stanford University12,526 views
- 21 videos Play all ABA0 GREAT COMPASSION MANTRAby youngyoungfrancis
- 1:21:03 Muhammad: A Prophet for Our Timeby Zarar Bajwa14,214 views
- 1:32:48 The Case for God: Karen Armstrong at St Paul's Cathedralby StPaulsLondon12,324 views
- 18:11 An Interview with Karen Armstrong - Part 1 of 3by CFCPak1,868 views
- 12:24 Comparative Religion Scholar Karen Armstrong on the Roots of Religionby AllanGregg19,731 views
- 55:51 An Evening with Karen Armstrongby University of California Television (UCTV)24,654 views
- 9:52 The Story of Human Rightsby ultralized476,575 views
- 1:29:32 Centrality of Compassion in Human Life and Societyby StanfordUniversity61,676 views
- 5:13 U.S. Catholic's Five Questions with Karen Armstrongby USCatholic15,420 views
- 27:01 Redes TV-La ciencia de la Compasión.Completa.flvby samsaraexit47,318 views
- 14:49 TEDx Hayward May 2013 Emma Seppalaby CCARE at Stanford University7,855 views
- 10:15 OSHO: Compassion - The Ultimate Flowering of Loveby OSHOInternational255,808 views
- 1:33:45 His Holiness the XIV Dalai Lama: Peace Through Compassionby ucberkeleycampuslife107,536 views