TEDxWestlake - Greg McEvilly - "The motivation for everything"
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Aug 18, 2012
TEDxWestlake - July 12, 2012
Our first TEDxWestlake explored the accelerating change in the world around us. This change is largely driven by the power of the digital infrastructure built over the last few decades. William Gibson has remarked: "The future is already here -- it's just unevenly distributed." While we can't predict the future, we tried to uncover and mine some of these veins.
We were lucky to have speakers from a wide array of disciplines, from kinetic art to philosophy to hybrid social ventures, to come share their stories with our audience of business students and innovators, and help us wonder about what might lie ahead.
Greg McEvilly is the driving force behind Kammok®, a new adventure brand that is revolutionizing the "products for social good" landscape. After learning about the pervasiveness of malaria and other vector-borne diseases in Africa, Greg was moved to take action. Connecting his desire to help with his love of the outdoors, he developed the concept of a lightweight portable hammock with integrated mosquito netting that could serve as alternative bedding in malaria-ridden countries. That idea evolved into a comfortable, portable hammock that was just as useful for campers and adventurers as it was for those living in Africa. But as that vision gained momentum in the adventure market, Greg never lost sight of where it began. Thus, Kammok was born, and has evolved to become a vehicle for sustainable giving and broad social impact.
In the spirit of ideas worth spreading, TEDx is a program of local, self-organized events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience. At a TEDx event, TEDTalks video and live speakers combine to spark deep discussion and connection in a small group. These local, self-organized events are branded TEDx, where x = independently organized TED event. The TED Conference provides general guidance for the TEDx program, but individual TEDx events are self-organized.
- 19:10 TEDxHuntsville - Daniel Crosby - You're Not That Great: A Motivational Speechby TEDxTalks43,602 views
- 19:27 The first 20 hours -- how to learn anything: Josh Kaufman at TEDxCSUby TEDxTalks597,186 views
- 18:44 Predictably Irrational - basic human motivations: Dan Ariely at TEDxMidwestby TEDxTalks34,189 views
- 13:57 The Woman Who Changed Her Brain: Barbara Arrowsmith-Young at TEDxTorontoby TEDxTalks141,360 views
- 13:21 The Skill of Self Confidence: Dr. Ivan Joseph at TEDxRyersonUby TEDxTalks739,210 views
- 20:52 TEDxKarachi - Asad Rezzvi - Motivating People into Actionby TEDxTalks35,458 views
- 12:48 The power of seduction in our everyday lives: Chen Lizra at TEDxVancouverby TEDxTalks885,210 views
- 14:54 TEDxOakville - Scott Stratten - Keep Going Until We Stopby TEDxTalks62,036 views
- 12:02 Sport Psychology - Inside the Mind of Champion Athletes: Martin Hagger at TEDxPerthby TEDxTalks38,259 views
- 15:42 Achieving Greatness Is A Choice: Byron Reese at TEDxAustinby TEDxTalks33,018 views
- 12:05 The mindset to succeed: Prof Tim Noakes at TEDxCapeTownEDby TEDxTalks27,848 views
- 10:53 The Power of Belief - Mindset and Success: Eduardo Briceno at TEDxManhattanBeachby TEDxTalks218,003 views
- 10:34 How to Know Your Life Purpose in 5 Minutes: Adam Leipzig at TEDxMalibuby TEDxTalks661,885 views
- 7:05 A workout for your self-control: Jordan Silberman at TEDxFlourCityby TEDxTalks22,131 views
- 14:38 The Art of Seduction: Seema Anand by TEDxEalingby TEDxTalks211,598 views
- 17:52 Don't Just Follow Your Passion: A Talk for Generation Y: Eunice Hii at TEDxTerryTalks 2012by TEDxTalks143,856 views
- 19:10 TEDxOrangeCoast - Daniel Amen - Change Your Brain, Change Your Lifeby TEDxTalks264,048 views
- 17:57 Turning Fear Into Fuel: Jonathan Fields at TEDxCMU 2010by TEDxTalks191,719 views
- 22:08 Live the Life of Your Dreams: Sanjeev Lamba at TEDxASBby TEDxTalks33,814 views