TEDxWestlake - Greg McEvilly - "The motivation for everything"
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Aug 18, 2012
TEDxWestlake - July 12, 2012
Our first TEDxWestlake explored the accelerating change in the world around us. This change is largely driven by the power of the digital infrastructure built over the last few decades. William Gibson has remarked: "The future is already here -- it's just unevenly distributed." While we can't predict the future, we tried to uncover and mine some of these veins.
We were lucky to have speakers from a wide array of disciplines, from kinetic art to philosophy to hybrid social ventures, to come share their stories with our audience of business students and innovators, and help us wonder about what might lie ahead.
Greg McEvilly is the driving force behind Kammok®, a new adventure brand that is revolutionizing the "products for social good" landscape. After learning about the pervasiveness of malaria and other vector-borne diseases in Africa, Greg was moved to take action. Connecting his desire to help with his love of the outdoors, he developed the concept of a lightweight portable hammock with integrated mosquito netting that could serve as alternative bedding in malaria-ridden countries. That idea evolved into a comfortable, portable hammock that was just as useful for campers and adventurers as it was for those living in Africa. But as that vision gained momentum in the adventure market, Greg never lost sight of where it began. Thus, Kammok was born, and has evolved to become a vehicle for sustainable giving and broad social impact.
In the spirit of ideas worth spreading, TEDx is a program of local, self-organized events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience. At a TEDx event, TEDTalks video and live speakers combine to spark deep discussion and connection in a small group. These local, self-organized events are branded TEDx, where x = independently organized TED event. The TED Conference provides general guidance for the TEDx program, but individual TEDx events are self-organized.
- 19:10 TEDxHuntsville - Daniel Crosby - You're Not That Great: A Motivational Speechby TEDxTalks 21,027 views
- 13:21 TEDxRyersonU - Dr. Ivan Joseph - The Skill of Self Confidenceby TEDxTalks 129,652 views
- 19:20 TEDxAsheville - Adam Baker - Sell your crap. Pay your debt. Do what you love.by TEDxTalks 239,401 views
- 14:06 Promoting Motivation, Health, and Excellence: Ed Deci at TEDxFlourCityby TEDxTalks 7,579 views
- 13:30 The Importance of Learning. Learning What Exactly?: Daniels Pavļuts at TEDxRigaby TEDxTalks 19,339 views
- 22:08 Live the Life of Your Dreams: Sanjeev Lamba at TEDxASBby TEDxTalks 18,311 views
- 12:29 TEDxBloomington - Shawn Achor - "The Happiness Advantage: Linking Positive Brains to Performance"by TEDxTalks 331,299 views
- 14:54 TEDxOakville - Scott Stratten - Keep Going Until We Stopby TEDxTalks 58,978 views
- 17:55 TEDxWestlake - John Hagel - "From push to passion"by TEDxTalks 1,062 views
- 10:35 TEDxRainier - Patti Dobrowolski - Draw Your Futureby TEDxTalks 26,711 views
- 18:12 TEDxEast - Nancy Duarte uncovers common structure of greatest communicators 11/11/2010by TEDxTalks 75,295 views
- 19:10 TEDxOrangeCoast - Daniel Amen - Change Your Brain, Change Your Lifeby TEDxTalks 133,202 views
- 18:55 TEDxStCharles - Aly and Andrea - Motivate You-Motivate Othersby TEDxTalks 1,081 views
- 17:56 Growing A Talent Hotbed: Dan Coyle at TEDxSitkaby TEDxTalks 2,263 views
- 15:11 TEDxAdelaide - Byron Sharp - The Science of Marketingby TEDxTalks 7,863 views
- 15:56 What Can We Learn From Expert Gamblers?: Dylan Evans at TEDxWestlakeby TEDxTalks 637 views
- 15:00 Why you will fail to have a great career: Larry Smith at TEDxUWby TEDxTalks 699,196 views
- 12:57 Biomimicry: Business Innovations Inspired by Nature: Jakki Mohr at TEDxBozemanby TEDxTalks 3,010 views
- 12:18 TEDxWestlake - Seryn - "SERYN: Sounds Worth Spreading"by TEDxTalks 372 views
- 20:57 TEDxUWI Caribbean Story-Errol Fabien- Learning How to Learningby TEDxTalks 987 views