Alex Ferguson reacts angrily to Vieira criticism of Paul Scholes signing | Premier League
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Mar 23, 2012
Man Utd boss Sir Alex Ferguson dismisses Man City criticism
Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has dismissed criticism from Manchester City over his decision to bring Paul Scholes out of retirement.
Ex-City midfielder Patrick Vieira said the move showed "weakness".
But Ferguson warned he "had plenty of ammunition" if United's title rivals wanted to engage in mind games.
"If it's desperation bringing back the best midfielder in Britain for the last 20 years then I think we can accept that," said Ferguson.
Vieira, City's football development executive, told the Daily Telegraph on Wednesday: "For him [Scholes] to come back just shows a little bit of weakness in United, because they had to bring a player back who was 37."
United have won nine Premier League games and drawn one with Scholes in the team, and Ferguson responded in the week when City boss Roberto Mancini controversially recalled striker Carlos Tevez.
"I think he [Vieira] was programmed for that," said Ferguson.
"Roberto had a wee dig a couple of weeks back. We're all going to play our hand that way. There will be plenty of ammunition for that.
"If you talk about desperation, they played a player the other night who refused to go on the pitch. The manager said he'd never play again and he takes a five-month holiday in Argentina. What is that? Could that come under the description of desperation?"
Tevez denied that he refused to come on as a substitute in a Champions League game against Bayern Munich in September, blaming "confusion on the bench" for the "misunderstanding" which led to a major falling-out with Mancini.
The Argentine returned for the first time in six months in Wednesday's 2-1 victory over Chelsea which leaves City one point behind leaders United with nine games of the season remaining.
Ferguson also rejected Vieira's assertion that a further sign of United struggling was their inability to keep Ravel Morrison, who joined West Ham during the January transfer window, and their ongoing fight to retain fellow midfielder Paul Pogba.
"The point he made about Ravel Morrison and losing our young players - we wanted to sell him (Morrison) let's be clear about that, for obvious reasons," said Ferguson.
"But we want Pogba to stay because we think he's going to be a fantastic Manchester United player and hopefully that's the case."
Since moving to London, Morrison has been fined £7,000 by the FA and warned about his future conduct after a homophobic post on social networking site Twitter.
Ferguson's comments come after United defender Rio Ferdinand suggested City fans are only more visible now the club is tasting success.
"Walking around in town, you see more and more blue shirts than you probably ever would have seen over the last 10 years," the defender told BBC Sport.
"Success sometimes brings people out of the woodwork."
Standard YouTube License
- 4:49 David Moyes Storms Out of Press Conference | English Premier Leagueby footballFeatured 35,631
- 3:43 Paul Scholes - Man United ex star discusses Tevez, Manchester United and life after footballby football 31,071 views
- 1:17 Paul Scholes on Manchester United 1-6 Manchester City | English Premier League 2011-12by football 45,366 views
- 4:10 Sir Alex Ferguson holds press conference for Shinji Kagawa and Nick Powellby football 65,038 views
- 13:47 Sir Alex Ferguson 25 Years- Manchester Unitedby meermufc 371,373 views
- 43:24 Manchester Uniteds Sir Alex Ferguson Documentaryby deathclock2690 85,311 views
- 4:53 Fergie attacks journalists over Rooney sagaby IndySportsNewsTV 212,928 views
- 3:22 Kenny Dalglish loses it on Sky Sports live [FULL INTERVIEW]by thedaddy2010 329,220 views
- 15:39 Paul Scholes - The Full Gary Neville Interview (Sir Alex Ferguson, David Moyes & His Retirement)by TheBeanyman62 43,556 views
- 2:15 Angry Manchester United manager Sir Alex Fergusonby Song Gahui 149,961 views
- 0:34 Alex ferguson Reaction to Zalabeta's Goal (Man City 3-2 QPR)by crazyanjana 118,997 views
- Alex Ferguson 7,838 videos582
- 0:32 José Mourinho At His Best Funny Interviewby FootballDanB 105,180 views
- 0:39 Mark Cavendish not happy with BBC reporterby mrmiruk 45,102 views
- 6:06 Paul Scholes Tribute (Manchester United #18)by Julius Kapiainen 217,915 views
- 7:23 Hitler reacts to Man Utd's 6-1 defeat to Manchester Cityby quiggzify 216,580 views
- 2:13 Manchester United Goal Challenge Chicharito vs Rooney vs Nani vsVan Der Sarby OMGihaveaniphone 1,683,328 views
- 48:02 Manchester United's Premier League victory Parade - Part1by Oscars2013 45,828 views
- 1:57 Man United dressing room after Champions League final in 1999by bartobest1 474,647 views
- 5:37 Roy Keane, Gareth Southgate & Lee Dixon's Reaction To Sir Alex Ferguson Retiringby TheBeanyman62 28,985 views
- 0:38 Jose Mourinho funny "eggs" press conferenceby TheFootballDaily 93,044 views
- Loading more suggestions...