THE QUEST FOR CHANGE & RENEWAL - THE IDEOLOGY GAP from the Centre for Policy Studies
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jun 7, 2012
Video based on the Centre for Policy Studies report 'The Quest for Change & Renewal' by Tim Morgan. Read it online at http://CPSne.ws/L80fAX
Follow the CPS on Twitter & be the first to see our next video http://twitter.com/CPSThinkTank
Like us on Facebook: http://facebook.com/CentreforPolicySt...
Animation & direction by Leo: http://www.leon.cat - email@example.com
(Kinetic typography made with Adobe After Effects and Flash)
THE QUEST FOR CHANGE & RENEWAL - THE IDEOLOGY GAP
by Tim Morgan
Rescue capitalism and re-empower the individual to build a winning centre right ideology.
There is much more to government than management, writes Tim Morgan in The quest for change and renewal: how to fill the centre-right ideology gap , published on Friday 8 June by the Centre for Policy Studies. An ideological vision, largely accepted by the electorate, is essential if public support is to be secured for the major reforms needed for economic revival.
Tim Morgan, Global Head of Research at Tullett Prebon, shows that the two post-War administrations which achieved long-lasting reforms -- the Attlee and Thatcher Governments -- both changed the tide of public thought. It was their success in winning the battle of ideas that made possible the fundamental reforms that characterise their governments.
Both these Governments started in adversity, Attlee inheriting an indebted, war-weary state and Thatcher inheriting a failing, near-bankrupt exchequer. But in statistical terms, Gordon Brown's economic legacy is more dire: Thatcher inherited a deficit of 4.9% of GDP, the Coalition inherited a deficit of 11%.
Tim Morgan writes that with flat-lining economy, an unsustainable deficit and escalating debt, Britain stands in extreme need of the radical reforms that only a popular, inspirational administration can deliver. Yet:
"The current Coalition, far from winning the battle for ideas, seems not even to be trying to do so. There is, as yet, no sense of a cohesive ideological alternative to the facile, superficial and now-discredited agenda of New Labour."
He argues that:
"The problem for the centre-right is that Blair and Brown's subjective concept of 'fairness' still dominates the British political landscape, at least in the form of the politics of envy. Unless this New Labour legacy is challenged, the implementation of enterprise-based reforms is likely to prove all but impossible. Enterprise, after all, requires winners and losers, an outcome to which the politics of envy are antithetical."
In place of New Labour's synthetic ideology, the centrepiece of a new ideology needs to be a mission to restore capitalism to first principles, and to undertake thoroughgoing reforms so that the system benefits everyone, and does not, as now, overly favour a privileged minority. Capitalism needs to be reformed in ways which will align rewards with success and not with failure; strengthen the role of shareholders; and, above all, provide a fairer deal for individuals, be they citizens, customers or employees.
In addition, the centre-right must champion the individual over the collective and the corporate. This requires promoting freedom, and empowering the individual in relation both to the state and to corporate interests.
Morgan concludes that, without such a programme, Britain will remain on course for economic and social decline.
© Centre for Policy Studies, June 2012
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Cotton Pickers' Congregation" on
- 2:32 Ron Paul - Imagine - Kinetic Typographyby RonPaulCC2012 Featured 2,340
- 1:17:12 Slavoj Zizek - Ideology of Violenceby EducateKnowledge13,052 views
- 1:59:32 SLAVOJ ŽIŽEK | Master Class | Higher Learningby TIFF75,610 views
- 2:17 SMALL IS BEST from the Centre for Policy Studiesby CPSThinkTank11,395 views
- 59:02 Slavoj Žižek: "To Begin from The Beginning, or, How to get rid of Ghosts of the XXth Century"by mahrandomness3,058 views
- 1:27:56 Slavoj Žižek. Object a and The Function of Ideology. 2012by egsvideo15,202 views
- 59:02 Slavoj Zizek "To Begin from The Beginning"by Slavoj Zizek1,599 views
- 3:19 The Beauty of Capitalism: Why Communism is wrongby Dhorpatan7,237 views
- 24 videos Play all Other economics cartoonsby flashecon
- 0:57 Centre for Policy Studies Think Tankby CPSThinkTank3,367 views
- 28:01 Julian Assange's The World Tomorrow: Slavoj Zizek & David Horowitz (E2)by RT276,430 views
- 2:31 Difference between debt and deficit by the Centre for Policy Studiesby CPSThinkTank6,807 views
- 29:34 margaret thatcher on her path to powerby thatcheritescot14,398 views
- 31:41 Jin Liquin lecture to the Centre for Policy Studiesby CPSThinkTank340 views
- 21:32 Jacob Rees-Mogg MP - CPS Whig lecture, 10/05/2012by CPSThinkTank1,349 views
- 1:30:45 Great Minds: Slavoj Žižekby iqsquared135,597 views
- 11:28 LeBron James @ David Letterman - Late Show [Sub ITA] 27-06-2012by Mattiraga9647,400 views
- 6:42 60 Second Adventures in Economics (combined)by OUlearn179,845 views
- 1:42:23 Slavoj Žižek - Maybe We Just Need a Different Chicken ...by pdxjustice49,217 views
- 10:00 British Airways 747-436 2010/5/9 Landing (HQ)by ric51612,508 views