Upload

Loading icon Loading...

This video is unavailable.

Sean Hoare - NoW Whistle-Blower Found Dead - Speaking About Hacking In March 2011

Sign in to YouTube

Sign in with your Google Account (YouTube, Google+, Gmail, Orkut, Picasa, or Chrome) to like NOTWPhoneHacking's video.

Sign in to YouTube

Sign in with your Google Account (YouTube, Google+, Gmail, Orkut, Picasa, or Chrome) to dislike NOTWPhoneHacking's video.

Sign in to YouTube

Sign in with your Google Account (YouTube, Google+, Gmail, Orkut, Picasa, or Chrome) to add NOTWPhoneHacking's video to your playlist.

Uploaded on Jul 18, 2011

Sean Hoare, was first named journalist to allege Andy Coulson knew of hacking.

Click the link below to SUBSCRIBE to the 'News of the World Phone Hacking' YouTube channel @ http://www.youtube.com/subscription_c...

For upto date news on the hacking scandal, follow me on Twitter @ http://twitter.com/#!/NOTW_Hack_News

First broadcast, BBC One, 14th March 2011.

Sean Hoare, the former News of the World showbiz reporter who was the first named journalist to allege Andy Coulson was aware of phone hacking by his staff, has been found dead.

Hoare, who worked on the Sun and the News of the World with Coulson before being dismissed for drink and drugs problems, is said to have been found dead at his Watford home.

Hertfordshire police would not confirm his identity, but the force said in a statement:

"At 10.40am today [Monday 18 July] police were called to Langley Road, Watford, following the concerns for the welfare of a man who lives at an address on the street. Upon police and ambulance arrival at a property, the body of a man was found. The man was pronounced dead at the scene shortly after. The death is currently being treated as unexplained, but not thought to be suspicious. Police investigations into this incident are ongoing."

Hoare first made his claims in a New York Times investigation into the phone-hacking allegations at the News of the World.

Mr Hoare said, not only did Coulson know of the phone hacking, but that he actively encouraged his staff to intercept the phone calls of celebrities in the pursuit of exclusives.

In this interview with the BBC he alleges that he was personally asked by his then-editor, Coulson, to tap into phones.

In the interview he said Coulson's insistence that he didn't know about the practice was "a lie, it is simply a lie".

Sean Hoare, a one-time close friend of Coulson's, told the New York Times the two men first worked together at the Sun, where, Hoare said, he played tape recordings of hacked messages for Coulson.

At the News of the World, Hoare said he continued to inform Coulson of his activities.

Hoare said:

"Coulson 'actively encouraged me to do it."

Hoare returned to the spotlight last week, after he told the New York Times that reporters at the News of the World were able to use police technology to locate people using their mobile phone signals in exchange for payments to police officers.

He said journalists were able to use a technique called "pinging" which measured the distance between mobile handsets and a number of phone masts to pinpoint its location.

Hoare gave further details about the use of "pinging" to the Guardian last week. He described how reporters would ask a news desk executive to obtain the location of a target:

He said:

"Within 15 to 30 minutes someone on the news desk would come back and say 'right that's where they are. You'd just go to the news desk and they'd just come back to you. You don't ask any questions. You'd consider it a job done. The chain of command is one of absolute discipline and that's why I never bought into it, like with Andy saying he wasn't aware of it and all that. That's bollocks."

He said he would stand by everything he had told the New York Times about "pinging".

"I don't know how often it happened. That would be wrong of me. But if I had access as a humble reporter. "

He admitted he had had problems with drink and drugs and had been in rehab.

He said:

"But that's irrelevant."

Hoare named a private investigator who he said had links with the News of the World, adding:

"He may want to talk now because I think what you'll find now is a lot of people are going to want to cover their arse."

Speaking last week, Hoare repeatedly expressed the hope that the hacking scandal would lead to journalism in general being cleaned up and said he had decided to blow the whistle on the activities of some of his former News of the World colleagues with that aim in mind.

Mr. Hoare emphasised that he was not making any money from telling his story. Hoare, who has been treated for drug and alcohol problems, reminisced about partying with former pop stars and said he missed the days when he was able to go out on the town.

Mr. Hoare ended by saying:

"There's more to come. This is not going to go away."

Well tonight, it was revealed that Mr. Hoare had been found dead at his home.

Go figure.

Loading icon Loading...

Loading icon Loading...

Loading icon Loading...

The interactive transcript could not be loaded.

Loading icon Loading...

Loading icon Loading...

Ratings have been disabled for this video.
Rating is available when the video has been rented.
This feature is not available right now. Please try again later.

Loading icon Loading...

Suggestions

Loading...
Working...
to add this to Watch Later

Add to