Sean Hoare - NoW Whistle-Blower Found Dead - Speaking About Hacking In March 2011
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jul 18, 2011
Sean Hoare, was first named journalist to allege Andy Coulson knew of hacking.
Click the link below to SUBSCRIBE to the 'News of the World Phone Hacking' YouTube channel @ http://www.youtube.com/subscription_c...
For upto date news on the hacking scandal, follow me on Twitter @ http://twitter.com/#!/NOTW_Hack_News
First broadcast, BBC One, 14th March 2011.
Sean Hoare, the former News of the World showbiz reporter who was the first named journalist to allege Andy Coulson was aware of phone hacking by his staff, has been found dead.
Hoare, who worked on the Sun and the News of the World with Coulson before being dismissed for drink and drugs problems, is said to have been found dead at his Watford home.
Hertfordshire police would not confirm his identity, but the force said in a statement:
"At 10.40am today [Monday 18 July] police were called to Langley Road, Watford, following the concerns for the welfare of a man who lives at an address on the street. Upon police and ambulance arrival at a property, the body of a man was found. The man was pronounced dead at the scene shortly after. The death is currently being treated as unexplained, but not thought to be suspicious. Police investigations into this incident are ongoing."
Hoare first made his claims in a New York Times investigation into the phone-hacking allegations at the News of the World.
Mr Hoare said, not only did Coulson know of the phone hacking, but that he actively encouraged his staff to intercept the phone calls of celebrities in the pursuit of exclusives.
In this interview with the BBC he alleges that he was personally asked by his then-editor, Coulson, to tap into phones.
In the interview he said Coulson's insistence that he didn't know about the practice was "a lie, it is simply a lie".
Sean Hoare, a one-time close friend of Coulson's, told the New York Times the two men first worked together at the Sun, where, Hoare said, he played tape recordings of hacked messages for Coulson.
At the News of the World, Hoare said he continued to inform Coulson of his activities.
"Coulson 'actively encouraged me to do it."
Hoare returned to the spotlight last week, after he told the New York Times that reporters at the News of the World were able to use police technology to locate people using their mobile phone signals in exchange for payments to police officers.
He said journalists were able to use a technique called "pinging" which measured the distance between mobile handsets and a number of phone masts to pinpoint its location.
Hoare gave further details about the use of "pinging" to the Guardian last week. He described how reporters would ask a news desk executive to obtain the location of a target:
"Within 15 to 30 minutes someone on the news desk would come back and say 'right that's where they are. You'd just go to the news desk and they'd just come back to you. You don't ask any questions. You'd consider it a job done. The chain of command is one of absolute discipline and that's why I never bought into it, like with Andy saying he wasn't aware of it and all that. That's bollocks."
He said he would stand by everything he had told the New York Times about "pinging".
"I don't know how often it happened. That would be wrong of me. But if I had access as a humble reporter. "
He admitted he had had problems with drink and drugs and had been in rehab.
"But that's irrelevant."
Hoare named a private investigator who he said had links with the News of the World, adding:
"He may want to talk now because I think what you'll find now is a lot of people are going to want to cover their arse."
Speaking last week, Hoare repeatedly expressed the hope that the hacking scandal would lead to journalism in general being cleaned up and said he had decided to blow the whistle on the activities of some of his former News of the World colleagues with that aim in mind.
Mr. Hoare emphasised that he was not making any money from telling his story. Hoare, who has been treated for drug and alcohol problems, reminisced about partying with former pop stars and said he missed the days when he was able to go out on the town.
Mr. Hoare ended by saying:
"There's more to come. This is not going to go away."
Well tonight, it was revealed that Mr. Hoare had been found dead at his home.
Standard YouTube License
Next in  2011: News of the World Phone Hacking Scandal
- 49:11 GE Nuclear Plant Inspector/Whistleblower Kei Sugaoko Speaks About Fukushima, GE & Obamaby laborvideo7,893 views
- 8:14 FOX NEWS DEBATE: Why Are FOX Avoiding The Phone Hacking Scandal?by NOTWPhoneHacking6,285 views
- 14:59 PANORAMA: TABLOID HACKS EXPOSED PART 1 (Phone Hacking Special)by NOTWPhoneHacking8,986 views
- 1:21 Sean Hoare Found Dead - NOTW Phone Hacking *NEW*by NOTWPhoneHacking3,142 views
- 1:02:47 BBC Panorama: Real Spooks (operation crevice, 7/7, junaid babar)by 77Archive46,129 views
- 3:52 Ex News of the World journalist admits 'destroying' suicide victim he wrote about & paying policeby GriefTourist37,011 views
- 0:30 Dodgy Dave Needs To Resign - MP Dennis Skinner - NOTW Phone Hacking *NEW*by NOTWPhoneHacking30,567 views
- 5:01 Panorama: Murdoch - Breaking the Spell [Part 1] Monday 18th July 2011by NOTWPhoneHacking4,837 views
- 2:56 Kelvin MacKenzie v Chris Bryant Row About Phone Hacking - NOTW Phone Hacking *NEW*by NOTWPhoneHacking3,848 views
- 7:25 Steve Coogan v Paul McMullan Row on Newsnight - NOTW Phone Hacking *MUST WATCH*by NOTWPhoneHacking52,023 views
- 10:00 FOX News Whistle blowers. UNBELIEVABLE!!!by kidwave1976,779 views
- 5:01 Panorama: Murdoch - Breaking the Spell [Part 2] Monday 18th July 2011by NOTWPhoneHacking2,603 views
- 42:10 Tony Farrell: British Whistle Blower Fired for Exposing 9/11 as "State Sponsored Terror" - FULLby Martin Hill3,543 views
- 6:37 Alastair Campbell & Paul McMullan Hacking Debate on Newsnight - NOTW Phone Hackingby NOTWPhoneHacking17,414 views
- 4:34 Panorama: Murdoch - Breaking the Spell [Part 4] Monday 18th July 2011by NOTWPhoneHacking2,069 views
- 1:43 How Easy It Is To Hack A Mobile Phone? - NOTW Phone Hackingby NOTWPhoneHacking59,263 views
- 32:55 Whistle Blower Threatened with 35 Years in Prison, Warns of Developing Tyrannyby TheRealNews40,941 views
- 14:12 Inside Obama's "Orwellian World" Where Whistleblowing Has Become Espionage: The Case of Thomas Drakeby mediagrrl918,273 views
- 9:58 News Of The World Phone Hacking Part 1by selfdeluded9,590 views