The Wonderful World of Chemistry - DuPont - 1964 New York World's Fair
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on May 19, 2010
I never saw this exhibit, but I found the record years later in a resale shop and fell in love with the lyrics:
"That's why we can tell you we are all enthusiastics about the very significant, truly magnificent Happy Plastics Family!"
"You know we all have a smile on that started with nylon and stretches across each happy face!"
"Every day that we are living is such a thrill that we can't stay nonchalant! Better Things For Better Living are coming still - that's the promise of DuPont!"
What could be better?
Written and produced by Michael Brown
Music and lyrics by Michael Brown
The Norman Paris Orchestra
The David Carter Singers
With Mark McCrary, Joyce Maret, Pat Stevens, Brent Hickman, and Ted Sprague
Download the entire show:
If you're curious about whatever happened to Corfam:
The Wonderful World of Chemistry was actually about all sorts of DuPont products. As smiley actors and actresses sang "The Happy Plastic Family," audience members sat in Antron-Fabrilite chairs on Nylon carpets, watching the performers in front of a Mylar curtain. But Corfam, a new synthetic leather, was the star of the show. Promoted as having the feel and durability of leather, Corfam shoes also were water-repellent and were supposed to never need shining - attributes that inspired DuPont to proclaim that soon 25 percent of America's footwear would be made of Corfam. But then the other shoe dropped: The plastic was so unyielding that you could never, ever, break in a pair of Corfam shoes. People hated 'em. After seven years, DuPont told its wonder shoe to take a walk, at a cost of $100 million.
Standard YouTube License
- 15 videos Play all YouTube Mix - The Wonderful World of Chemistry - DuPont - 1964 New York World's Fair
- 7:11 The 1965 New York World's Fairby KKD1247 Featured 13,347
- 43:17 Dupont History Documentaryby Mightycurt8,444 views
- 7:36 Flower Drum Song - A Hundred Million Miracles - Lea Salongaby Broadway Classics22,966 views
- 10:59 Damn Yankees - Fran Allison - Near To You - A Man Doesn't Know - Phil Silversby Broadway Classics5,234 views
- 10:20 Evalina - Right As The Rain - Bloomer Girl - Barbara Cook - Keith Andes - Harold Arlenby Broadway Classics6,092 views
- 9:41 Anyone Can Whistle - There Won't Be Trumpets - A Parade in Town - Everybody Says Don'tby Broadway Classics17,610 views
- 13:56 New York World's Fair: "Sinclair at the World's Fair" 1965 Sinclair Refining Company 14minby Jeff Quitney10,103 views
- 11:52 1964-65 NEW YORK WORLD'S FAIR - Ford Magic Skywayby MUSICOM PRODUCTIONS20,674 views
- 7 videos Play all Chemistry Experiments and Demonstrationsby oneleventyone
- 21:01 Mechanical Engineer Recruiting By Dupont - 1950's Educational Film - S88TV1by Tomorrow Always Comes321 views
- 6:45 1964 Worlds Fairby Mark197638,677 views
- 13:55 Century 21 Calling - 1962 Seattle World's Fair Educational Documentary - WDTVLIVE42by wdtvlive429,929 views
- 8:38 1939 New York World's Fair - Part 2 - A Home Movie Spectacularby Robert Martens9,811 views
- 25:45 Stock Footage - TO THE FAIR! 1964 World's Fair in New York Cityby MyFootage.com12,506 views
- 2:31 Building the New York World's Fair 1964by BobR19557,911 views
- 20:21 1939/40 The Aquacade Show at the NY World's Fairby UnknownWW2InColor8,517 views
- 9:57 (4/6) RARE 1964 NBC COLOR TV SPECIAL - "A World's Fair Diary" with Edwin Newmanby MUSICOM PRODUCTIONS9,221 views
- 9:58 (1/6) RARE 1964 NBC COLOR TV SPECIAL - "A World's Fair Diary" with Edwin Newmanby MUSICOM PRODUCTIONS32,571 views
- 6:40 3R3 Barecelona Red in DuPont Cromax Pro. From Ecoat to finished in 19 minutes.by Toolittle2l852,017 views
- 48:33 Disneyland Goes To The World's Fair (Complete)by DisneyVideoMagic255,296 views