New York City - Video Tour of SoHo, Manhattan
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jun 19, 2009
Welcome to another New York Habitat ( http://www.nyhabitat.com ) video! Today, we are going to get a little taste of one of New York's most famous neighborhoods, SoHo.
The others video tours of New York Habitat are available, so feel free to discover other areas of NYC such as Times Square http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWFhe3... or Greenwich Village http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFa9pp...
You'll find SoHo in southern Manhattan just to the south of Greenwich Village. The boundaries of the heart of SoHo are roughly Houston Street to the north, Canal Street to the south, Crosby Street to the east and 6th Ave to the west. SoHo is a famous neighborhood to be the most fashionable areas in New York with its loft-style apartments, art galleries, and its diverse shopping.
SoHo's Architecture and landmarks:
Before we get into the modern day delights of SoHo, let's step back in history a bit. What is fascinating about this neighborhood is that it is the largest surviving cast-iron building district in the world. Many commercial buildings along Broadway and Spring Street feature this type of construction. Cast-iron's fire-resistant properties and strength made it possible to construct large building façades at less cost than comparable stone fronts.
A great example of SoHo's cast-iron buildings is 28-30 Greene Street. Built in 1872, it's known as the "Queen of Greene Street".
As you might know, SoHo is also well known for its loft style apartments. In the late 1800s, SoHo became an industrial district where workers toiled in dangerous conditions. Eventually, in the 1960s, as most of the commercial and manufacturing buildings were abandoned, SoHo was almost destroyed.
As artists moved in, the district became populated with galleries and eventually SoHo became the center of the lower Manhattan art scene. Today, the area remains full of art galleries.
Some of our favorite SoHo area lofts include:
This one-bedroom loft apartment centrally located in SoHo on Prince Street (NY-9572) http://www.nyhabitat.com/new-york-apa...
This amazing 3-bedroom vacation rental loft in neighboring Tribeca (NY-5278) http://www.nyhabitat.com/new-york-apa...
New York Habitat provides a lot of apartments http://www.nyhabitat.com/new-york-apa... all over New York. You can choose among several apartments types like vacations rentals http://www.nyhabitat.com/new-york-apa... , furnished apartments http://www.nyhabitat.com/new-york-apa... , and more.
Speaking of SoHo art galleries, be sure to check out Franklin Bowles Galleries (431 West Broadway) specialized in valuable works such as Rembrandt and Matisse, Chagall, Dali and Miro. Also, the Louis K. Meisel Gallery at 141 Prince Street is worth a visit. It claims to have the largest collection and available inventory of pin-up art in the world.
If you'd like to get a taste of artsy loft living, take a look at New York Habitat apartments to find a great selection of furnished lofts that you can call home during your next trip to New York.
The New York Fire Museum - 278 Spring St.:
An often-overlooked attraction in SoHo is the New York Fire Museum. You'll see an amazing collection of ladders, fire gear and fire trucks - including one of the oldest known fire engines in America, built in 1790.
SoHo Piers along the Hudson River:
If you're looking for some relaxation, head over to the SoHo Piers along the Hudson River. You'll find everything from golf and rollerblading to baseball and rock climbing. When the weather is nice, you can lounge on the grass of the park. Relax, you're in New York!
Restaurants and nightlife:
While you're out shopping, make sure to buy some fancy eveningwear because you're going to want to go out for some of SoHo's fantastic nightlife. Some of my favorites SoHo hot spots are:
Balthazar -- 80 Spring St.
S.O.B - 204 Varick St
SoHo Park - 62 Prince St
Bar 89 (be sure to check out the bathroom door!) - 89 Mercer St.
Mercer Kitchen - 99 Prince St
Raoul's - 180 Prince St
If I've missed any of you're favorite SoHo activities, be sure to share them with us in the comments below. Well, I hope you've enjoyed our tour of SoHo. Of course, there's a lot more to see and do here.
Be sure to check out New York Habitat's blog http://www.nyhabitat.com/blog/2009/06... where you'll find more information about Soho.
Standard YouTube License
- 2:32 Travel New York: SoHoby soniastravels Featured 20,245
- 4:47 Harlem, New York City - Video Tour of West Harlem, Central Harlem & Apollo Theaterby New York Habitat48,826 views
- 5:59 New York City, Lower East Side of Manhattan Video Tour - Part 1by New York Habitat43,235 views
- 3:36 New York City - Video Tour of Greenwich Village, Manhattanby New York Habitat66,609 views
- 6:43 New York City : Video Tour of the East Village (Manhattan, NY)by New York Habitat31,377 views
- 5:47 Harlem, New York: Video Tour of East Harlem, Uptown Manhattanby New York Habitat51,133 views
- 5:03 Chinatown, New York City - Video tour of Chatham Square, MOCA & Columbus Parkby New York Habitat97,212 views
- 7:00 New York City - Video tour of Chelsea, Manhattan (Part 2)by New York Habitat10,235 views
- 4:08 New York - 10 places you must visit in the Big Appleby Vidtur150,748 views
- 7:39 New York City - Video tour of Brooklyn Heights, Brooklyn (Part 2)by New York Habitat14,101 views
- 5:49 New York City - Video tour of Brooklyn Heights, Brooklyn (Part 1)by New York Habitat28,459 views
- 5:42 New York City - Video tour of Chelsea, Manhattan (Part 1)by New York Habitat13,056 views
- 5:12 New York City - Video tour of the Meatpacking District, Manhattan (Part 1)by New York Habitat8,924 views
- 11:00 New York City Helicopter Tourby Hoosier Tim's Travel Videos309,574 views
- 5:29 "All Along Broadway", Manhattan, New York City: Touring the Booming Financial Districtby New York Habitat11,439 views
- 5:24 New York City - Central Park Video Tour Part 2by New York Habitat30,727 views
- 5:12 Columbus Circle, New York City - Video tour "Along Broadway" - Lincoln center, Time Warner Centerby New York Habitat13,541 views
- 2:35 Free things to do in New York City Part 4 - Free Guided Toursby New York Habitat14,432 views
- 6:51 Broadway, New York City - Video tour of Madison Square, Herald Square, Macy's and Flatiron Buildingby New York Habitat25,878 views
- 9:25 New York City Tourby Sophaupair31,174 views
- Loading more suggestions...