Gambian Women Make Purses from Plastic Bags
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Oct 12, 2007
The women of Mandinaba, The Gambia, in west Africa generate income by crocheting coin purses from strips of recycled plastic bags (read on to find out where to buy). To a soundtrack of Baaba Maal from the CD Missing You (Mi Yeewnii), track: Jamma Jenngii; if you like it, please buy it.
Want to buy a purse? Check out GambiaHELP, which sells purses from the women of Njau (the place where this project began) at http://www.gambiahelp.org/purses_buy....
For more info on the founder of these projects, See a short video of interview with Isatou Ceesay on this channel.
The Mandinaba Womens' Recycling Group is a 14-member associationin the small West African village of Mandinaba located in the Western Region of The Gambia. The village has an estimated population of 2,500. There are eight different ethnic groups, the majority being the Mandinka, Jola and Fula tribes.
Farming is the most common occupation for the village residents. Farmers cultivate crops including groundnuts (peanuts), millet, bananas, mangos and oranges. The village women also do gardening and produce vegetable crops including cabbage, onions, peppers and okra. These crops are then sold at local market and are the main source of income for the women. Employment opportunities for women go little beyond this with the exception of small-scale business endeavors such as soap making, fish pie, and tie/dye making. It was under these circumstances that the recycling group was formed.
A Peace Corp volunteer Health and Community extension agent learned that several of the women in the community knew how to crochet but used it to no economic advantage. She then contacted Isatou Ceesay, Project coordinator of the Njau Women Recycling Group working for the Swedish NGO Future in Our Hands. She arranged a meeting and a training for the women of Mandinaba. Concerned with the overwhelming presence of plastic bags in the environment this group decided to use crochet to recycle plastic bags into purses and wallets. Isatou came to Mandinaba for two days and instructed the group of women on how to collect the bags from the environment, wash and dry them and cut them appropriately, and then crochet them into the purses and wallets. The group consists of both young and older women, predominately housewives, each required to pay a membership fee which is put towards a group fund. Meetings occur on the first and last Monday of each month, with every Friday being "clean-up" day where the group chooses a place in the village or surrounding area (i.e. the village market, police station, etc.) to do trash pick-up.
The group hopes to grow stronger through improvement of their skills and the training of other women. There is currently a waiting list for new members. They plan to resister and become recognized as an official association in The Gambia. They are currently trying to raise money to build a Mandinaba Womens' Recycling Group Skills Center, a place to meet, work and train others. Currently they meet in the village nursery school. Marketing is currently done informally, but as their group grows, they will seek outlets overseas.
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Jamma - Jenngii" on
- 22:05 Tutorial Tuesday 15! Granny Bottom Bag! Part 1by onevirtuouswoman Featured 62,121
- 1:59:37 Baba Maal Au Grand théatre 28 ans de Musique!by Neega Mass24,712 views
- 1:06:18 Abou Djouba avec Baaba Maal à La Soirée anniversaire 28 ans Danndé Lennolby Pulaagu TV7,291 views
- 1:18:16 Soirée Anniversaire Baaba Maal 28 de Danndé Legnnol (Partie 1)by Pulaagu TV2,795 views
- 21:41 Baba Maal étale tout son talent au Grand Théâtreby 2STV Sénégal10,763 views
- 1:07:27 Soirée Anniversaire Baaba Maal 28 de Danndé Legnnol (Partie 2)by Pulaagu TV4,272 views
- 2:04 recycle I am not a plastic bagby sofia hayat107,819 views
- 59 videos Play all Jewelry and Crafts...recycled and otherwiseby goddessthoughts
- 1:01:42 Españoles en el mundo - Gambiaby Roberto San Miguel Calzado11,983 views
- 1:00:40 BOLONDAALA in Babylon by force ( Partie 1)by abdou khadre kallo30,286 views
- 25:36 Film Project Gambia - Kajay Kurangoby downsideupfilm40,219 views
- 1:16:13 gambia jolas danceby BUBA25CENT36,688 views
- 10:24 Recycle plastic shopping bags and make another bag!by TarotLadyLissa345,439 views
- 58:18 Baaba maal - anniversaire de daande lenol (28 ans) - Partie 3by Pulaagu TV8,158 views
- 44:30 Film Project Gambia - Mariama La Tarikoby downsideupfilm35,777 views
- 29:52 The Problem in " Gambia - No Problem"by matarrs122,426 views
- 11:48 How to Make a Bag Out of Plastic Trash Bags: Part 1by Sarah Beth20,841 views
- 9:28 How to Recycle Plastic Bags into Purses: Isatou Ceesay - Njau, Gambiaby Miranda Paul189,783 views
- 1:46 Plastic bags made usefulby MLive.com Staff193,810 views
- 16:49 Plastic bag mats for homeless tutorialby nosehair51558,007 views