Landlords & Tenants: Preserving Affordable Housing in New York | The New School for Public Engage
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Dec 19, 2011
Center for New York City Affairs | http://newschool.edu/milano/nycaffairs
The Center for New York City Affairs presents the second in a 2011/2012 series on the politics of housing and development in NYC.
Affordable housing is a hot topic in these difficult economic times, yet by some accounts, housing conditions for low-income New Yorkers are in decline. Many affordable apartment buildings, some purchased and rehabilitated using government subsidies, are in poor condition, and as apartments deteriorate and collect code violations, tenants fend for themselves. Many landlords say they are consumed by complicated regulation enforcement and Section 8 rent subsidy bureaucracy. Is the city doing all it can to maintain and preserve existing affordable housing in New York? Should we strengthen policy to better ensure stable, safe, clean and quality housing for years to come?
Milano School of International Affairs, Management, and Urban Policy | http://www.newschool.edu/milano
Opening Remarks from:
Bill de Blasio, New York City Public Advocate
Followed by a Conversation with:
Douglas Apple, First Deputy Commissioner, NYC Department of Housing Preservation and Development
Dina Levy, Director of Organizing and Policy, Urban Homesteading Assistance Board
Harold Shultz, Senior Fellow, Citizens Housing & Planning Council
Joseph Strasburg, President, Rent Stabilization Association
Gabriel Pendas, Community Organizer, Northwest Bronx Community and Clergy Coalition
Moderated by Daniel Massey, Reporter, Crain's New York Business
THE NEW SCHOOL FOR PUBLIC ENGAGEMENT | http://www.newschool.edu/public-engag...
This event is made possible thanks to the generous support of Edison Properties. Additional funding provided by the Sirus Fund and the Milano Foundation.
Location: Theresa Lang Community and Student Center, Arnhold Hall
12/13/2011 8:30 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.
Standard YouTube License
- 1:38:31 A Conversation about Comedy and Politics at The New Schoolby The New School1,730 views
- 1:59:45 Opposition to Paying for Capitalism's Crisis | The New Schoolby The New School21,892 views
- 1:32:10 Public Art Fund Talks at The New School: Roger Hiornsby The New School1,324 views
- 1:19:04 Jackson Pollock's Downtown Years | The New School for Public Engagementby The New School822 views
- 37:31 Building A Small Room Addition And A Deckby TheDreamCar30,855 views
- 10:51 Demonstration of Waffle-Crete affordable housing constructionby wafflecrete514 views
- 1:48:10 DREAM Activists and the Immigrant Rights Movement | The New School for Public Engagementby The New School680 views
- 1:50:12 Combating Youth Violence | The New School for Public Engagementby The New School686 views
- 9:56 Hydraform India: Green Building Technologyby Nitin Gaur14,696 views
- 5:57 Real Estate - China x4by clearasvodka403 views
- 1:30:15 NYS Comptroller: The Promise of Public Pensions | The New Schoolby The New School227 views
- 1:14 on Transformative potential of design and urbanism | Parsons the New School for Designby The New School649 views
- 1:42:06 Economics and Occupy Wall Street: Solutions from The Occupy Handbook | The New Schoolby The New School3,445 views
- 1:38:37 The 2011-2012 President Nestor Kirchner Fellowship | The New School for Public Engagementby The New School316 views
- 1:28:56 Joseph Stiglitz: The Price of Inequality | The New Schoolby The New School13,664 views
- 2:16:41 Discussion Panel on Children in an Urban World | The New School for Public Engagementby The New School301 views
- 1:24:06 Food History - Why Should We Care? | The New School for Public Engagementby The New School1,090 views
- 1:28:36 Transmissions: The Literature of AIDS | The New School for Public Engagementby The New School336 views
- 1:21:44 Roots and Character of the Egyptian Revolution Part 1 | The New Schoolby The New School3,263 views
- 1:55:35 The Human Face of Indefinite Detention | The New School for Public Engagementby The New School625 views
- Loading more suggestions...