Nazi Experiment Survivor Eva Mozes Kor Speaks at Clarkson University
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Oct 9, 2012
Auschwitz survivor Eva Mozes Kor delivered a powerful message of forgiveness on October 8 at Clarkson University, while speaking before a large audience of students, faculty, staff and community members.
When she was about 10 years old, Kor and her family were taken by the Nazis to the Auschwitz slave labor and extermination camp, where her parents and two older sisters were quickly sent to the gas chambers.
Kor and her sister, Miriam, were twins, so they were of chilling interest to Dr. Josef Mengele, who subjected them to a series of heinous human experiments.
Her talk, "The Journey from Auschwitz & Mengele to Forgiveness," told the amazing story of what she endured and how she eventually came to forgive Mengele and the Nazis.
Sheila Faith Weiss, professor of history in the Department of Humanities and Social Sciences at Clarkson, arranged for Kor to share her story.
"I received a $277,000 National Science Foundation grant to write a biography of Dr. Mengele's mentor, the German human geneticist Baron Otmar von Verschuer, and I had been in contact with Eva Mozes Kor," Weiss says. "Because I am teaching a seminar on the Holocaust this semester, I asked Eva whether she might be willing to give a lecture at Clarkson. Normally, she would have charged more for her talk, but generously agreed to accept significantly less so we could bring her here. Her message is especially important for our students to hear."
Trained in German history and the history of biology, Weiss has written a book which explores the background that led to the kind of bestial human experimentation Kor was subjected to in Auschwitz. The Nazi Symbiosis, Human Genetics and Politics in the Third Reich (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2010) raises compelling questions about medicine and ethics.
Eva and Miriam Kor were among the 200 children -- mostly surviving twins -- liberated from Auschwitz by Soviet soldiers in January 1945. After returning to her homeland, Romania, following a stay in a Displaced Persons' Camp, Eva Kor moved to Israel. It was here where she met her future husband.
The couple settled in Terre Haute, Ind., and in 1984, she and her now deceased twin sister Miriam, established the C.A.N.D.L.E.S. (Children of Auschwitz Nazi Deadly Lab Experiment Survivors) Museum. Dedicated to education about the Holocaust, its mission is to "eliminate hatred and prejudice from our world."
Kor's lecture was sponsored by the Department of Humanities and Social Sciences, the David A. Walsh '67 Arts & Sciences Seminar Series, the Department of Biology, the Office of Student Life & Engagement, and the Dean of Students Office.
For more information, please contact Weiss at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Standard YouTube License
- 3:51 Auschwitz survivor tells her storyby WorldNewsAustraliaFeatured 4,094
- 1:28 The New Moore House at Clarkson Universityby clarksonweb 1,084 views
- 3:25 Clarkson University Golden Knights Women's Basketball 2011-12 seasonby clarksonweb 137 views
- 1:49 Museums Without Walls: Clarkson University and Potsdam Communityby clarksonweb 126 views
- 2:29 How to Build a Future: Clarkson Universityby clarksonweb 135 views
- 9:51 Former Nazi Explains How The Holocaust Happened - Part 1by Linda Evans Shepherd 257,875 views
- 7:07 Holocaust survivor Israel Arbeiter returns to Auschwitz-Birkenau with the WWII Foundationby World War II Foundation 3,906 views
- 3:57 BREAKING NEWS- Leaked Document - U.S. Concentration Camps NOWby David Vose 12,125 views
- 10:09 Eminem 60 Minutes Good Qualityby John Perry 2,776 views
- 5:48 Not a single Jew died in a gas chamber [Holocaust revisionism] The Tighe2001 vs MSM4U2POM Showby Lionheart80s 470,585 views
- 28:05 Human Experimentation in WWIIby Heather Wokusch 4,682 views
- 9:56 Eva Kor's Story.by Dyllan Bethel-Brown 541 views
- 1:37 Irena Sendler Remembers Janusz Korczakby Irena Sendler 7,949 views
- 6:11 FLOSSENBERG Concentration Camp WWIIby TheUSAHEC 3,811 views
- 5:33 Tova Friedman, Auschwitz survivor, Part 1by Caesar Darias 326 views
- 3:06 Eva Mozes Kor Eventby msuunivcomm 886 views
- 43:58 Ancient Aliens S02E05 - Aliens and the Third Reichby Siatris DeCoursey 50,737 views
- 9:45 Eva Mozes Kor zu Besuch in Wetzlar: Eine Überlebende von Auschwitz berichtet - Teil 2 -by jugendnetzwetzlar 2,630 views
- 3:02 Holocaust Survivor Testimony: Ovadia Baruchby YadVashem 2,547 views
- 13:25 FORMER NAZI WARNS US NAZI'S .flvby lezlow111 273 views
- Loading more suggestions...