Sen. Feinstein's Husband Cashes In on Crisis, Thanks To Her?
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Apr 21, 2009
Airing Date April.15, 2009
California senator sought $25 billion for a government agency that had awarded her husband's real estate firm a lucrative contract to sell foreclosed properties.
On the day the new Congress convened this year, Sen. Dianne Feinstein introduced legislation to route $25 billion in taxpayer money to a government agency that had just awarded her husband's real estate firm a lucrative contract to sell foreclosed properties at compensation rates higher than the industry norms, the Washington Times reported on Tuesday.
Mrs. Feinstein's intervention on behalf of the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. was unusual: the California Democrat isn't a member of the Senate Committee on Banking, Housing and Urban Affairs with jurisdiction over FDIC; and the agency is supposed to operate from money it raises from bank-paid insurance payments - not direct federal dollars.
Documents reviewed by The Washington Times show Mrs. Feinstein first offered Oct. 30 to help the FDIC secure money for its effort to stem the rise of home foreclosures. Her letter was sent just days before the agency determined that CB Richard Ellis Group (CBRE) - the commercial real estate firm that her husband Richard Blum heads as board chairman - had won the competitive bidding for a contract to sell foreclosed properties that FDIC had inherited from failed banks.
About the same time of the contract award, Mr. Blum's private investment firm reported to the Securities and Exchange Commission that it and related affiliates had purchased more than 10 million new shares in CBRE. The shares were purchased for the going price of $3.77; CBRE's stock closed Monday at $5.14.
Spokesmen for the FDIC, Mrs. Feinstein and Mr. Blum's firm told The Times that there was no connection between the legislation and the contract signed Nov. 13, and that the couple didn't even know about CBRE's business with FDIC until after it was awarded.
Senate ethics rules state that members must avoid conflicts of interest as well as "even the appearance of a conflict of interest." Some ethics analysts question whether Mrs. Feinstein ran afoul of the latter provision, creating the appearance that she was rewarding the agency that had just hired her husband's firm.
Standard YouTube License
- 0:55 Dianne Feinstein caught in a lieby hooleyboyFeatured 260,453
- 6:17 BLOWOUT! Ted Cruz vs. Dianne Feinstein ᴴᴰby djgabrielpresents 22,099 views
- 2:54 State Troopers Suspended after Extreme Cavity Searchesby djgabrielpresents 101,224 views
- 9:51 Mark Levin reax to Ted Cruz vs. Dianne Feinsteinby andrew yezen 13,237 views
- 8:21 Senator Ted Cruz Talks About Clash With Feinstein on Gun Ban - Neil Cavuto - 3/15/13by MichaelSavage4Prez 2,674 views
- 5:59 Ann Coulter Destroys Feinstein Over Cruz Debate: 'Liberal Women Should Not Be Able To Hold Office'by MichaelSavage4Prez 143,610 views
- 3:24 Gun battle: Dianne Feinstein And Ted Cruz Debate Assault Weapons Banby FightForAmericaBack 5,490 views
- 1:17 Scripted or Not?by DingbatPrissy 279,134 views
- 1:11 Bill Maher boo'd on The Tonight Show with Jay Lenoby smartzootv 1,106,382 views
- 6:11 Explosive Exchange at Gun Hearing Between Ted Cruz and Dianne Feinsteinby politicalturkey 361,338 views
- 6:11 Dianne Feinstein Battles Ted Cruz in Heated Senateby newsstation11 3,688 views
- 5:07 Miss USA molested by TSAby RTAmerica 528,860 views
- 10:11 Piers Morgan Vs Ted Nugent On Gun Controlby BelligerentPolitics 512,999 views
- 10:24 Leonor is a Frequent Visitor to Libya - She Tells Allby 108morris108 4,574 views
- 3:02:28 Chris Everard - Truth Frequency Interview 07-23-11 - Satanism In The Music Industryby PrometheanReachXVI 6,463 views
- 4:11 "Fairness Doctrine" -- Feinstein Outlawing Talk Radioby TylerNull 24,302 views
- 6:50 Piers Morgan gets angry after losing Gun Control debate and throws his notes towards his guest !by nycresistance 1,731,874 views
- 13:32 TED CRUZ vs DIANNE FEINSTEIN "It's Fine You Want To Lecture Me On The Constitution"by MOXNEWSd0tC0M 25,255 views
- 6:11 Ted Cruz takes on Dianne Feinstein About gun control 3/14/13by NovaVideos4u 76,039 views
- 10:08 Senator Ted Cruz not only Swept the floor on the Gun Control Hearings..he took out the trashby newsninja2012 744,304 views
- Loading more suggestions...