Large Rogue Wave Accident at Mavericks Surf Contest 02/13/10 Feb 13, 2010
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Feb 13, 2010
Waves slammed into the beach at the Mavericks Surf Contest this morning, injuring at least 15 people and prompting organizers and local officials to block any more spectators from entering the area.
Coastside Fire Protection District Battalion Chief Ari Delay said two or three people were taken to hospitals with injuries, the worst of which was a fracture. About 70 paramedics, law enforcement officers and fire officials remain at Mavericks Beach to manage the estimated crowd of 20,000 people.
Organizers decided to close the Half Moon Bay Airport parking lot to new arrivals at about 10 a.m., when the tide was at its highest, said Mavericks Surf Contest spokeswoman Katherine Clark. No more
Share your photos, video * Upload your photos, video * Email photos to email@example.com * View breaking news photos, video
people are being allowed into the viewing area at Mavericks Beach, and those who leave will not be permitted to return. The most exposed area of the beach has been closed to the public with police barricades.
The structure on which the awards ceremony was going to be held was broken up by waves, so workers dismantled it. The winners will now be announced around 4 p.m. at the Oceana Hotel and Spa in Princeton.
A series of powerful waves surprised a large number of spectators on the beach early this morning around 9 and knocked over tents set up by contest organizers for the surfers and medical personnel.
Paramedics took a man in his 60s away with an ankle injury. He was bloodied, having been trampled by the crowd after he was knocked over by a surge of water.
The waves also took down Mavericks volunteer Renee Sorenson, of Redwood City.
"I got knocked over by one of those dumb waves," she said. "It also took my camera away. I tried to brace myself but it tripped me and another wave washed over me."
Sorenson's daughter, Amanda, said the sight of the wave surging up the beach was "the scariest thing I've ever seen."
"We're here ever year and we get rogue waves but nothing like this," said Renee Sorenson. She was treated by paramedics and sent to a hospital with a likely broken wrist.
Every wave that crashed onto the beach claimed a couple more victims. Two small children were seen crying in their father's arms, covered in sand and salt water.
People climbed the bluffs above the beach to escape the waves, even though the area is supposed to be off-limits. There was a rush away from the beach with each big wave, but when the tide receded spectators returned to the water's edge.
While those on the beach scrambled for safety, many others continued to watch the contest on a large viewing screen, safely removed from the surging waves.
Standard YouTube License
- 3:47 Rogue waves and ship wrecks.by Luke KahlFeatured 835,509
- 6:31 The Death Of Mark Foo (1958-1994)by Liffey986 1,229,000 views
- 0:39 Huge Wave hits cruise shipby shorex71 5,614,741 views
- 2:46 Rogue Wave Pulls Onlookers Into Atlanticby ABCNews 144,038 views
- 1:15 massive waves pummel touristsby Ch1nchi11a 832,235 views
- 72 videos Play all marby casiga58
- 2:55 cruise ship almost tips overby CrystalBeast123 9,073,724 views
- 4:29 Epic Mavericks Big Wave Surfing 11/30/2008by ArtifactProductions 5,813,291 views
- 2:22 Dangerous Surf Leads to Death and Beach Closuresby ksbwtv 20,385 views
- 4:53 Mavericks 2010-01-10 as experienced by Bart WIllemsby Bart Willems 88,187 views
- 3:02 Epic Day at Maverick's - Billabong XXL Big Wave Awardsby BillabongUSA 577,229 views
- 9:53 Mavericks Surf Contest - K38 Big Wave Surfing Rescuesby K38rescue 62,330 views
- 3:10 Mavericks Wave Slams Spectators pt2by AllExitsPro 172,431 views
- 3:11 Mavericks Surf Contest 2010by NBAdraftRoomcom 47,149 views
- 2:02 Rogue Wavesby Paul Csige 503,107 views
- 0:27 Super Waveby Terminalvelocity16 6,473,898 views
- 2:16 Mavericks contest 2010 - waves take out people and scaffoldingby Zack Hill 43,909 views
- 2:21 2006 - Biggest Wipeoutsby Maverickssurf 159,888 views
- 3:41 News clip on rogue waves slammed crowd at Maverick competition on Feb 13, 2010by cplai 216,136 views
- GoPro® 455 videos829K
- 2:03 2010 mavericks surf competition - Crowd getting taken out by a waveby schultav 67,677 views
- 2:00 Mavericks Wave Slams Spectators pt1by AllExitsPro 44,304 views
- Loading more suggestions...