Flaming Bacon Lance of Death, from Theo Gray's book "Mad Science"
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Apr 14, 2009
Blog post with more links and photos: http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2009/04...
A homemade device that cuts steel with bacon. It's a FLAMING BACON LANCE OF DEATH.
This video documents an experiment like the ones you'll find in PopSci columnist Theo Gray's new MAD SCIENCE book.
Yes, that's right, using nothing but bacon -- okay, prosciutto -- and an air hose, Mr. Gray constructs a high performance thermic lance that seriously cuts sheet metal.
In this video, you'll also see a purely VEGAN THERMIC LANCE built from one cucumber and several dozen thin vegetable-oil coated breadsticks. (Tip: the performance is all about the oil). This hotrod burns fast and furious, but does not last long enough to initiate a cut in steel sheet. The flame front travels towards the back of the cucumber and endangers the operator when it reaches the rubber connector.
And finally in today's video, the CUCUMBER-BEEFSTICK LANCE. A high-performance thermic lance constructed from seven beefsticks and a cucumber. Later versions used Pup-Peroni brand dog treats, which are exactly like beef sticks only cheaper.
In some ways this device out-performs the Bacon Lance, and it's much easier to build.
But it's not made of bacon.
Theo tells Boing Boing, "Cucumber is an *excellent* base for these things because it's air-tight, moist (to resist fire), easy to core, and has a rubbery skin that makes an air tight seal. About the only thing wrong with cucumbers is that they are not made of bacon. (I have a thing called a "fruit coring tool" which is like a very small round cookie cutter on a stick. You drill it down the middle of the cucumber until it comes out the other end, then stuff the cucumber with the chosen fuel.)"
Here are Theo's columns at PopSci.com. And more on the flaming bacon of death at PopSci.com.
These devices were created by Theodore Gray. Videography in this BB Video episode by Nick Mann. Photos by Mike Walker (http://mikewalkerphoto.com)
Standard YouTube License
- 3:51 Mad Science with Dr. Horrible (Hank)by vlogbrothers Featured 131,079
- 6:35 Les Claypool on Oddity Faire Tour + "Fungi or Foe" (BB Video)by Boing Boing Video404,637 views
- 6:07 Ninja Assassin Effects Tech: John Gaeta Interview (Boing Boing Video)by Boing Boing Video7,623,835 views
- 3:18 Carve Steel with Saltwater, Electricity and a Tin Earring (BB Video + Theo Gray + Popsci.com)by Boing Boing Video57,823 views
- 3:38 Sculpting in Solid Mercury, with Liquid Nitrogen (Popsci.com + BB Video)by Boing Boing Video329,003 views
- 1:53 How to Turn a Cigarette into a Knifeby WIRED764,560 views
- 119 videos Play all metal shopby jas42shear
- 0:42 One in a million shot with nail gunby BalaiBuilders930,547 views
- 3:34 Hand vs. Liquid Nitrogen and the Leidenfrost Effectby NurdRage2,918,144 views
- 1:46 Penn & Teller Tell A Lie - Laser Pointer Listener?by Discovery912,472 views
- 1:05 worlds scariest power toolby allistairc12354,920 views
- 5:01 How It's Made Baconby TRR562,127,981 views
- 8:19 THE BACON BOMB - VIDEO RECIPEby Nicko's Kitchen1,126,496 views
- 4:08 A Thermic Lance made out of Spaghettiby latexiron53,251 views
- 2:46 Thermic Lanceby DJ EzyAz53,967 views
- 33:13 Theodore Gray, Wolfram Research - Learning Without Frontiersby lwf3,328 views
- 5:20 The Periodic Table Table Featuring Theo Grayby BytesizeScience151,871 views
- 1:58 MythBusters - Rubens' Flaming Tubeby Discovery716,177 views
- 0:40 Mercury attacks Aluminumby Theodore Gray3,607,307 views
- 2:00 Bacon explosion: where's the beef?by cookinSF644,356 views