Flaming Bacon Lance of Death, from Theo Gray's book "Mad Science"
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Apr 14, 2009
Blog post with more links and photos: http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2009/04...
A homemade device that cuts steel with bacon. It's a FLAMING BACON LANCE OF DEATH.
This video documents an experiment like the ones you'll find in PopSci columnist Theo Gray's new MAD SCIENCE book.
Yes, that's right, using nothing but bacon -- okay, prosciutto -- and an air hose, Mr. Gray constructs a high performance thermic lance that seriously cuts sheet metal.
In this video, you'll also see a purely VEGAN THERMIC LANCE built from one cucumber and several dozen thin vegetable-oil coated breadsticks. (Tip: the performance is all about the oil). This hotrod burns fast and furious, but does not last long enough to initiate a cut in steel sheet. The flame front travels towards the back of the cucumber and endangers the operator when it reaches the rubber connector.
And finally in today's video, the CUCUMBER-BEEFSTICK LANCE. A high-performance thermic lance constructed from seven beefsticks and a cucumber. Later versions used Pup-Peroni brand dog treats, which are exactly like beef sticks only cheaper.
In some ways this device out-performs the Bacon Lance, and it's much easier to build.
But it's not made of bacon.
Theo tells Boing Boing, "Cucumber is an *excellent* base for these things because it's air-tight, moist (to resist fire), easy to core, and has a rubbery skin that makes an air tight seal. About the only thing wrong with cucumbers is that they are not made of bacon. (I have a thing called a "fruit coring tool" which is like a very small round cookie cutter on a stick. You drill it down the middle of the cucumber until it comes out the other end, then stuff the cucumber with the chosen fuel.)"
Here are Theo's columns at PopSci.com. And more on the flaming bacon of death at PopSci.com.
These devices were created by Theodore Gray. Videography in this BB Video episode by Nick Mann. Photos by Mike Walker (http://mikewalkerphoto.com)
Standard YouTube License
- 2:46 Thermic Lanceby hilariousmotorsportFeatured 52,303
- 3:18 Carve Steel with Saltwater, Electricity and a Tin Earring (BB Video + Theo Gray + Popsci.com)by boingboingvideo 56,806 views
- 3:38 Sculpting in Solid Mercury, with Liquid Nitrogen (Popsci.com + BB Video)by boingboingvideo 321,135 views
- 6:35 Les Claypool on Oddity Faire Tour + "Fungi or Foe" (BB Video)by Boing Boing Video 363,944 views
- 6:07 Ninja Assassin Effects Tech: John Gaeta Interview (Boing Boing Video)by Boing Boing Video 7,552,021 views
- 0:35 Using a thermic lance to crack a safeby stemcomputerssuck 240,493 views
- 5:26 Best Action Scenes from ONG BAKby KalSatFilms's channel 2,234,456 views
- 3:34 Hand vs. Liquid Nitrogen and the Leidenfrost Effectby NurdRage Science Experiments 2,203,935 views
- 1:28 Thermic Lancingby tomrotterdam1979 27,326 views
- 5:45 NINJA : SILENT ASSASSIN * Final Battleby zerabubus 739,751 views
- 2:55 Undisputed 3 - Russia vs. Brazilby KhiLuuu 2,142,562 views
- 0:40 Mercury attacks Aluminumby Theodore Gray 2,687,521 views
- 2:08 Thermic lance, Klokhuis, NPS, 9/15/2008by 11septembervideos 7,189 views
- 4:04 Chicken Fried Bacon (Texas Country Reporter)by Texas Country Reporter 670,783 views
- 1:53 How to Turn a Cigarette into a Knifeby wired 733,673 views
- 2:25 How to make Hot Ice!!! Crazyby monkeyfunky 23,475,262 views
- 0:52 Transformerby TheHomeMadeFilms 3,336,738 views
- 0:41 thermal lance - nastiest tool ever!(cookie monster in action)by allistairc123 131,866 views
- 33:13 Theodore Gray, Wolfram Research - Learning Without Frontiersby lwf 2,779 views
- 1:29 Flow...water magic trickby BalloonMagicGuy Channel 3,495,333 views
- Loading more suggestions...