Naomi Sommers and Phil Rosenthal - Fly Around My Pretty Little Miss
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Nov 21, 2009
Naomi Sommers and Phil Rosenthal perform a bluegrass classic, "Fly Around, My Pretty Little Miss" in May 2009. Visit http://www.myspace.com/naomisommers for more information about Naomi Sommers, and http://www.myspace.com/philrosenthalm... for more information about Phil Rosenthal.
With roots in bluegrass, the blues, jazz, traditional folk, and old-time country, singer/songwriter Naomi Sommers yet brings a unique and compelling voice to the music scene. She grew up in New England, in a home full of music and instruments, and still performs regularly with her parents and brother in the Sommers Rosenthal Family Band. Since 2002, Naomi has released three CDs of original songs on her father's (bluegrass musician and and record producer Phil Rosenthal) independent label, American Melody Records. In 2004 she was the New Folk songwriting finalist at the Kerrville Folk Festival in Texas. In 2006 she released a mesmerizing CD, Gray Sky Girls, with old-time, organic slowgrass duo partner, Lisa Bastoni. Now in 2008 Naomi has just released an album called Gentle As The Sun, recorded in Nashville, and produced by the acclaimed musician/producer Jim Rooney (John Prine, Iris Dement, Nanci Griffith, Bonnie Raitt). She is thrilled to present this collection of songs, accompanied by some of Nashville's finest, and by her family and friends as well. Based currently in both Germany and New England, Naomi will keep busy touring in Europe and the U.S.
Phil Rosenthal is a nationally renowned singer, songwriter, recording artist and record producer. For many years the lead singer and guitarist in the popular bluegrass group The Seldom Scene, he is also highly respected for his instrumental skills on banjo and mandolin.
A native of Guilford, CT, Phil began his professional career in the 1970's as mandolin player and singer in the New England-based bluegrass bands Apple Country and Old Dog. In 1977, he joined The Seldom Scene, travelling widely with the group throughout the U.S., Europe, and Japan, including appearances at the Grand Old Opry and the White House. He recorded seven albums with the band, receiving a Grammy nomination for his work on Scene 20 . In 1986, he left the group in order to run American Melody, a recording company founded with wife Beth Sommers, devoted to producing bluegrass and folk music for children and families. The label's 22 releases thus far feature Phil and a variety of other noted performers, and have won many awards from the Parents' Choice Foundation, the American Library Association, and other organizations.
Phil is also a successful songwriter whose original compositions have been recorded by many leading bluegrass and country music performers, including Johnny Cash and Bill Monroe. In 1994, the Connecticut Commission on the Arts appointed him the official Connecticut State Troubadour.
The Sommers Rosenthal Family features Phil and Beth and their children Naomi and Daniel, performing a mixture of classic and original bluegrass, folk and country songs. Naomi is an acclaimed singer and songwriter, featured on four solo albums, and Daniel tours internationally as trumpet player in the Either Orchestra and the Daniel Rosenthal Quartet. "The flair that accompanies a performance by the Sommers Rosenthal Family is not to be missed. They bring Tennessee north of the Mason-Dixon line, with melodies that make the heart sing and the feet move." (Yale University Art Gallery)
Standard YouTube License
- 3:56 Sissel - Shenandoahby sisselfan Featured 788,541
- 23:10 Everybody Loves Raymond 01x14 Who's Handsomeby Everybody Loves Raymond Fan7,084 views
- 22:59 Everybody Loves Raymond 01x09 Win, Lose Or Drawby Everybody Loves Raymond Fan7,649 views
- 23:13 Everybody Loves Raymond 01x07 Your Place Or Mineby Everybody Loves Raymond Fan8,812 views
- 23:03 Everybody Loves Raymond 01x05 Look Don't Touchby Everybody Loves Raymond Fan8,071 views
- 23:10 Everybody Loves Raymond 01x10 Turkey Or Fishby Everybody Loves Raymond Fan19,034 views
- 23:08 Everybody Loves Raymond 01x06 Frank The Writerby Everybody Loves Raymond Fan8,062 views
- 23:11 Everybody Loves Raymond 01x13 Debra's Sickby Everybody Loves Raymond Fan8,042 views
- 22:33 Everybody Loves Raymond 01x08 In Lawsby Everybody Loves Raymond Fan8,545 views
- 11:45 Creator Phil Rosenthal discusses the series finale of "Everybody Loves Raymond" - EMMYTVLEGENDS.ORGby TVLEGENDS3,207 views
- 3:39 LAST TRAIN FROM POOR VALLEY, SELDOM SCENEby M567772,886 views
- 4:21 Seldom Scene - Lay Down Sallyby Ted Lehmann1,503 views
- 3:24 The Seldom Scene play "Through the Bottom of the Glass"by SmithsonianFolkways6,421 views
- 48:08 Phil Rosenthal, Creator/Writer/Exec. Producer of "Everybody Loves Raymond"by This Week In Startups2,044 views
- 3:26 The Seldom Scene - Its All Over Now, Baby Blue - 03/01/73 D.C.by johnny57637532,248 views
- 9:13 Lesson: The uke strum, part 1by BanjoMeetsWorld18,379 views
- 7:56 A short oral history of The Seldom Sceneby jialmen23,601 views
- 33:07 DP/30: Exporting Raymond, documentarian Phil Rosenthalby DP/303,231 views
- 7:07 The Seldom Scene-Live at The Joe Val Bluegrass Festivalby Markndannsue447 views
- 4:35 workin on a building - seldom sceneby blueshoundrn13,803 views
- Loading more suggestions...