Geoengineering Earth's Climate
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jan 8, 2008
Google Tech Talks
January, 7 2008
Emergency preparedness is generally considered to be a good thing, yet there is no plan regarding what we might do should we be faced with a climate emergency. Such an emergency could take the form of a rapid shift in precipitation patterns, a collapse of the great ice sheets, the imminent triggering of strong climate system feedbacks, or perhaps the loss of valuable ecosystems.
Over the past decade, we have used climate models to investigate the potential to reverse some of the effects of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere by deflecting some incoming sunlight back to space. This would probably be most cost-effectively achieved with the placement of small particles in or above the stratosphere. Our model simulations indicate that such geoengineering approaches could potentially bring our climate closer to the state is was in prior to the introduction of greenhouse gases.
This talk will present much of what is known about such geoengineering approaches, and raise a range of issues likely to stimulate lively discussion.
Speaker: Ken Caldeira
Ken Caldeira is a scientist at the Carnegie Institution Department of Global Ecology and a Professor (by courtesy) at the Stanford University Department of Environmental and Earth System Sciences. Previously, he worked for 12 years in the Energy and Environment Directorate at the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (Department of Energy). His research interests include the numerical simulation of Earth's climate, carbon, and biogeochemistry; ocean acidification; climate emergency response systems; evaluating approaches to supplying environmentally-friendly energy services; ocean carbon sequestration; long-term evolution of climate and geochemical cycles; and marine biogeochemical cycles. Caldeira has a B.A. in Philosophy from Rutgers College and an M.S. and Ph.D. in Atmospheric Sciences from New York University.
Standard YouTube License
- 1:14:56 Kim Stanley Robinson On Google and Climate Changeby GoogleTechTalks14,262 views
- 55:29 Windbelt Cheap Generator Alternativeby GoogleTechTalks73,847 views
- 59:39 The Truth About Biofuels in Americaby GoogleTechTalks45,384 views
- 1:02:28 The Business Case for Protecting the Climateby GoogleTechTalks7,340 views
- 1:26:52 Geoengineering: Destroying the Atmosphere - Rosalind Petersonby Dutch1947485340,266 views
- 46:26 Geo Engineering - The Silence of Engineered Genocideby Awakened2Truth4,274 views
- 1:07:14 Chemtrail Science Cover-Up Rosalind Peterson Full Interview - GeoEngineering Aerosol Crimesby whatsnextnow197912,698 views
- 65 videos Play all Chemtrails & GeoEngineeringby mecadam
- 1:29:41 It's Too Late To Stop Climate Change, WE ARE DEAD, Guy McPherson 18Nov2013by Vincent Eastwood2,831 views
- 49:46 Climate IV: What to Do? Geoengineering!by The Agenda with Steve Paikin1,649 views
- 51:30 The Gulf Stream and the Next Ice Age - Future Focus Episode 2013by OccupyNWO53,662 views
- 52:07 Climate II: The Media, the Scientists and the Planetby The Agenda with Steve Paikin1,723 views
- 23:53 Climate Change Debate "People Say They're In Complete Denial Because of The Oil Companies"by MOXNEWSd0tC0M3,797 views
- 57:17 Lord Christopher Monckton ends the Global Warming Debate and proves its a Hoaxby AlbertTuckersBlog673 views
- 9:37 Using Cloud-Seeding GeoEngineering to Solve Global Warmingby Sidewinder7777,173 views
- 14:03 Geoengineer confronted - admits he discussed poisoning in the sky.by Patrick Roddie6,021 views
- 6:58 Can Geoengineering Combat Climate Change?by energynownews1,303 views
- 1:00:31 Global Climate Change: Could Geoengineering Reverse It?by The University of Arizona2,096 views
- 1:03:24 Climate Science Debate : Global Warming Alarmist VS. Global Warming Skepticby CheckThrice223,767 views
- 21:58 True News: The Case Against Climate Changeby Stefan Molyneux16,864 views