Geoengineering Earth's Climate
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jan 8, 2008
Google Tech Talks
January, 7 2008
Emergency preparedness is generally considered to be a good thing, yet there is no plan regarding what we might do should we be faced with a climate emergency. Such an emergency could take the form of a rapid shift in precipitation patterns, a collapse of the great ice sheets, the imminent triggering of strong climate system feedbacks, or perhaps the loss of valuable ecosystems.
Over the past decade, we have used climate models to investigate the potential to reverse some of the effects of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere by deflecting some incoming sunlight back to space. This would probably be most cost-effectively achieved with the placement of small particles in or above the stratosphere. Our model simulations indicate that such geoengineering approaches could potentially bring our climate closer to the state is was in prior to the introduction of greenhouse gases.
This talk will present much of what is known about such geoengineering approaches, and raise a range of issues likely to stimulate lively discussion.
Speaker: Ken Caldeira
Ken Caldeira is a scientist at the Carnegie Institution Department of Global Ecology and a Professor (by courtesy) at the Stanford University Department of Environmental and Earth System Sciences. Previously, he worked for 12 years in the Energy and Environment Directorate at the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (Department of Energy). His research interests include the numerical simulation of Earth's climate, carbon, and biogeochemistry; ocean acidification; climate emergency response systems; evaluating approaches to supplying environmentally-friendly energy services; ocean carbon sequestration; long-term evolution of climate and geochemical cycles; and marine biogeochemical cycles. Caldeira has a B.A. in Philosophy from Rutgers College and an M.S. and Ph.D. in Atmospheric Sciences from New York University.
Standard YouTube License
- 49:05 BBC Global Dimming Documentary About Geoengineering & Global Warmingby GlobalClimateNewsFeatured 19,527
- 59:39 The Truth About Biofuels in Americaby GoogleTechTalks 44,324 views
- 1:00:02 Imaging the Antikythera Mechanismby GoogleTechTalks 25,339 views
- 1:02:28 The Business Case for Protecting the Climateby GoogleTechTalks 7,234 views
- 51:17 Dramatic Changes in Polar Ice: Are We Waking Sleeping Giantsby GoogleTechTalks 5,891 views
- 1:26:52 Geoengineering: Destroying the Atmosphere - Rosalind Petersonby Dutch19474853 34,922 views
- 1:17:31 Geoengineering-Chemtrailsby HotBurmees 33,476 views
- 9:10 BREAKING NEWS THIS YEAR! MA Doctor Speaks about Geoengineering & Chemtrailsby UniBrowStudioVision 3,546 views
- 15:01 'LOOK UP' -- New Documentary. Part 2. Chemtrails, Geo-Engineering, SRM, & Weather MOD. #skyderalertby In2thevast1975 1,202 views
- 1:37:45 What in the World Are They Spraying? (Full Length)by Justin Wallis 1,117,556 views
- 55:14 Virtual Volcanology - Exploring volcanoes in Google Earthby GoogleTechTalks 12,802 views
- 1:14:56 Kim Stanley Robinson On Google and Climate Changeby GoogleTechTalks 14,032 views
- 49:24 NASA and Global Changeby GoogleTechTalks 32,129 views
- 1:02:15 Solar Geoengineering to Manage Climateby StanfordUniversity 4,623 views
- 1:03:24 Boardgame Designby GoogleTechTalks 16,799 views
- 14:11 Obvious Live Geoengineering in Action- Covert Scientific Manipulation Governments LIEby MrMaxBliss 325 views
- 59:23 The Next Generation of Neural Networksby GoogleTechTalks 275,881 views
- 55:29 Windbelt Cheap Generator Alternativeby GoogleTechTalks 72,282 views
- 1:23:55 Pilots Learn about Geoengineering & Chemtrails, presentation by David Lim, UK March 2013by MrMaxBliss 960 views
- 1:23:55 Geoengineering & Chemtrails - a presentation by David Lim (UK) March 2013by David Lim 5,048 views
- Loading more suggestions...