Why is California Jailing Landscapers? Don't Cops Have Better Things to Do?!
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Sep 16, 2013
California suffers from one of the highest unemployment rates in the nation and the state is under court order to release 10,000 inmates, yet state agents are jailing people who manage to find home-improvement work. After placing ads on Craigslist, California State License Board investigators go undercover posing as homeowners, when landscapers, painters, and other contractors show up, the agents give them the "To Catch a Predator" treatment.
CSLB recently announced that agents from the Statewide Investigative Fraud Team (otherwise known by the tough-sounding acronym SWIFT) had completed operation "California Blitz." SWIFTers busted 79 perps for contracting without a license, and if convicted, they could face $5,000 in fines and up to six months in jail. Fifty-two face additional fines for illegal advertising, and thirteen may be charged with requesting an excessive down payment, which can result in 60 days in jail and/or up to $10,000 in fines. SWIFT routinely conducts large-scale sting operations and proudly posts footage of the busts online. And since California is the nation's second-most extensively and onerously licensed state (as noted by an Institute for Justice report), agents always have plenty of targets.
"CSLB and its partners in law enforcement are serious about enforcing California's consumer protection laws," says says CSLB Registrar Steve Sands. "Unlicensed, illegal activity that puts homeowners at risk and legitimate contractors at a competitive disadvantage will not be tolerated."
1 minute and 45 seconds long.
Follow the show on Twitter (@DontCops) and submit your nominees for next episode. To watch previous episodes, go here: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=...
Scroll down for downloadable versions and subscribe to ReasonTV's YouTube Channel to receive notification when new material goes live.
"Don't Cops Have Better Things to Do?" is written and directed by Ted Balaker (@tedbalaker). Producer is Matt Edwards (@MattChrisEd). Opening motion graphics by Meredith Bragg. Camera by Zach Weissmueller. Music by audionautix.com and "The Contessa" is by Maurice and the Beejays (Magnatune Records). Special thanks to Sal Rodriguez.
Standard YouTube License
- 1:00:12 George Will's Libertarian Evolution: Q&A on Obama, Syria, & the Power of Choiceby ReasonTV38,181 views
- 48:17 Libertarians Are the New Communists - Rebutted!by Stefan Molyneux20,598 views
- 19:37 October 2013 California DMV Written Test - 6 question collectionby tamilar desam18,790 views
- 5:15 Corrupt Cops Caught by Their Own Cruiser Camera!!!by SHARK819,361 views
- 14:29 Milton Friedman - Why Tax Reform Is Impossibleby LibertyPen28,406 views
- 50:55 PZ Myers - The Inescapable Conflict Between Science and Religionby AtheistFoundation57,366 views
- 6:04 Why America Should Default and You Should Live Abroad: Q&A with Doug Caseyby ReasonTV32,945 views
- 57 videos Play all News Desk with Kristin Feledy - Julyby siliconangle
- 10:51 Geopolitics of Greeceby CaspianReport5,135 views
- 46:44 Highlights: America's Cup Finals Races 6 & 7by America's Cup104,552 views
- 3:30 Ted Williams 2 years laterby Drew Parker911,162 views
- 1:18:18 Conspiracy UK Present - I Am Fishead - Documentary Film (2011)by ukconspiracy73,594 views
- 5:13 Are We Rome? Ben Powell Compares the U.S. with the Roman Empireby ReasonTV14,126 views
- 3:33 Katt Williams on Dave Chappelle Getting Blacklistedby djvlad501,677 views
- 6:31 On Toxic Women and Stupid Menby manwomanmyth63,889 views
- 5:08 Simple life Manhattan: a 90-square-foot microstudioby Kirsten Dirksen5,663,582 views
- 7:09 Riverside Cop Tricks Autistic Teen into Buying Potby ReasonTV149,085 views
- 4:10 ASK A SLAVE Ep 3: You Can't Make This Stuff Upby Ask A Slave: The Web Series128,704 views
- 10:04 Keynesian Economics vs. Austrian Economicsby NicosMind77,925 views