Hadiya Pendleton - Another Quiet Riot
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Feb 12, 2013
More Gun Control is NOT the answer. Negroes valuing the lives of their children is.
CHICAGO — Two Chicago gang members charged Monday in the death of a 15-year-old honor student mistook her and her friends for members of a rival gang and attacked the group in retaliation for a shooting that injured one of the men over the summer, according to police.
Hadiya Pendleton died after being shot in a park near the Chicago home of President Barack Obama on Jan. 29, just days after she performed during his inauguration festivities in Washington. Her death was among dozens of homicides in Chicago last month, but her background and ties to Obama thrust her death into the national headlines and helped put Chicago at the center of a national debate over gun control.
Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy said first-degree murder charges were filed against Michael Ward, 18, and Kenneth Williams, 20.
Pendleton, a popular high school majorette, was with a group of friends who took cover during a rainstorm under a canopy in a park about a mile from the Obama home on the city's South Side. Police said a man hopped a fence, ran toward them and opened fire with a handgun before fleeing in a waiting car. Pendleton was struck in the back and died later that day. Two others were injured.
McCarthy said the shooting was meant as retaliation for Williams being shot in the arm by a rival gang in July, though neither Pendleton nor her friends were affiliated with gangs.
"Ward confessed and indicated Hadiya was not the intended target. They got it all wrong," McCarthy said.
Ward told investigators he was the gunman, and Williams, who refused to cooperate with authorities after the July shooting, was driving the getaway car, McCarthy said.
He added that both men were arrested while on their way to a strip club late Saturday -- the same day first lady Michelle Obama and other dignitaries attended Pendleton's funeral. The men also are charged with two counts of attempted murder and aggravated battery with a firearm.
Pendleton's death was one of more than 40 homicides in Chicago in January, a total that made it the deadliest January in the city in more than a decade. But her murder attracted national attention and helped put Chicago at the center of a national debate over gun control.
Not only did the first lady attend the teen's funeral, but the girl's parents were set to sit with Michelle Obama during the president's State of the Union address on Tuesday night. Obama is scheduled to return to Chicago three days later to discuss gun violence.
Homicides in Chicago topped 500 last year for the first time since 2008, stoking residents' concerns about gun violence and leading the police department to put more officers on the street and to focus more on combatting gangs.
McCarthy, who is pushing for tougher gun laws that would increase minimum sentences for gun crimes, noted that Ward was arrested in January 2011 on a gun charge but he received probation after pleading guilty to unlawful use of a weapon. If Chicago had laws like those in New York City, McCarthy said, Ward wouldn't have been on the streets.
"This has to stop. Gun offenders have to do significant jail time," he said.
McCarthy said the arrests occurred after police figured out that the description of the car in which the shooter fled matched the description of a vehicle in which Williams had been pulled over a day before the shootings. The police superintendent noted it didn't come from a tip from the community.
"I'm sad to point out we did not get our target audience to step up," he said.
Just as the December killing of 20 children and six adults at an elementary school in Newtown, Conn., brought renewed scrutiny of the nation's gun laws, the death of the popular Chicago teen has cast Chicago's gun violence problem in a new light.
Earlier Monday, Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel seemed to make just that point.
"The only time when the gun issue ever gets affected is when Newtown happens," he said. "What happens in urban areas around the country too often ... gets put to the side."
He said that while it's not wrong that massacres stir such debate, what happens on the streets of Chicago and in other urban areas "gets put in a different value system."
"These are our kids," he said, his voice rising. "These are our children."
Emanuel joined McCarthy and Cook County State's Attorney Anita Alvarez at an afternoon news conference to announce they would push for tougher gun laws that would increase the minimum sentences and require offenders to serve at least 85 percent of their sentences.
They say the law now allows offenders to be released after serving no more than half their sentences and sometimes obtain their release after a matter of weeks.
Emanuel said he has been busy talking to state lawmakers about sponsoring the legislation.
Standard YouTube License
- 9:44 Damn The Tithe...Pay Your Mortgageby Derrick Grayson28,171 views
- 8:40 Big O: Too Little, Too Late Obamaby Derrick Grayson2,791 views
- 7:15 Dekalb County Tried To Jack Meby Derrick Grayson1,756 views
- 8:20 White People: Victim To Leadership Lieby Derrick Grayson2,413 views
- 7:17 SINGLE MOMS AND THE MANIACS THEY ARE RAISING!by BIGBKELtheGREAT2,640 views
- 2:38 Paul Walker Funeral Memorial Serviceby TheMradolfhitler48,590 views
- 35:34 Chicago police beat me and thought they wasnt caughtby Allizon Brooks8,848 views
- 6:24 You & Me Talks to the Parents of Hadiya Pendletonby YouAndMeThisMorning1,269 views
- 9:45 God Damn it Assault Rifles are NOT for hunting!by helias314655 views
- 2:35 Bill Cosby Comments on Obama's Broken Promisesby MicEvHill939,213 views
- 5:58 Hadiya Pendleton Funeral Hadiya's Mother Cleo Pendleton Remarksby viralvideosgonewild15,457 views
- 4:21 Hadiya Pendleton RIP Tributeby Terry Swoope14,676 views
- 7:35 Chicago: Murder Capital Of America! - Williams: 40 Something People Killed In A Night, A 6yr oldby Mass Tea Party4,799 views
- 1:10:44 Hitler in Colourby l0rnz0r2,812,815 views
- 44:35 Gangland S.1 Ep.7 - Stone to the Bone [HD]by GanglandTVTube37,659 views
- 8:22 From Ex-Convict To Self-Made Millionaire - Meet South African Gayton Mckenzieby mycomeup15,002 views
- 17:11 Dr. Claud Anderson Marketing to the Black Consumer 3by TheSunOfTheSun2,510 views
- 10:07 JHMS: We talked to Cleopatra and Nate Pendleton about their Daughter Hadiyaby JHMS13904,181 views
- 2:57:00 Chicago and Earth, Wind & Fire - live at greek theatreby InCreeper162,366 views
- 2:25 Hadiya Pendleton's Killer Arrested - Feb 12, 2013by manybuddies18,190 views
- Loading more suggestions...