Audi Piloted Parking (Audi's self-parking car)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Feb 18, 2013
Audi's self-parking car
Audi recently demonstrated a car that can park itself without the need for a driver.For Audi, one technology with which it hopes to leap ahead is a local Wi-Fi hotspot and integrated 3G/4G for internet access for passengers while on the road.
But the most impressive technology-led iniative for the company is still a way off: a self-parking car, or, as Audi calls it, Piloted Parking.
The idea behind it is rather simple: you exit your vehicle, pull out your smartphone, click a button and the car drives itself off to a parking spot at a nearby garage.
The car uses an array of internal and external sensors to get its position: Audi claims they can be as accurate up to 10cm, but only if they have access to special laser sensors inside the parking structure (four of those scanners had been set up in the parking structure to support the demo). These might be redundant in the future, as the car maker is working on a laser sensor that will be integrated in the car itself (think the sensor tower on top of Google's self-driving car, but completely integrated in the chassis).
The self-parking system also needs access to the car park's management system, in order to find and allocate a free parking space and transmit the route to the car. Since most modern car parks have more than one level or are underground, GPS-based positioning is not really an option, so instead the management system uses Wi-Fi to transmit the route.
The technologies that Audi is developing for its future piloted driving system have been highly acclaimed by US experts. The "Popular Science" magazine has named the Audi system for piloted parking in parking garages "Product Of The Future." The editorial team is thus recognizing the most significant developments presented by Audi at the Consumer Electronics Show 2013 (CES) in Las Vegas.
The new Audi system was also commended as "Best Automotive Technology" at this year's CES by specialized media network "The Verge." Ricky Hudi, Head of Electrics/Electronics Development at Audi: "The awards acknowledge our development work and show that we are on the right track."
Standard YouTube License
- 2:58 Volvo's self-driving cars take to public roads for first timeby Sebastian Blanco111,151 views
- 2:27 ► Audi's automatic driving in traffic jamsby YouCar201,468 views
- 5:46 Parallel parking lessonby ParkingTutorial785,942 views
- 4:41 inside it! Mercedes Driverless Cars | drive it!by DW (English)21,389 views
- 14:39 2014 Nissan GT-R Track Pack vs 2014 Audi R8 V-10 Plus! - Head 2 Head Episode 33by Motor Trend Channel2,082,402 views
- 3:44 Audi Piloted parking traffic jamby AutoBlog.gr36,461 views
- 6:52 Google's self-driving car test drive in Washington, D.C. (May 17, 2012)by AbsolutelyDefinite16,795 views
- 6:22 6 Peoples Reactions to the CRAZY 900hp 3Dx Evoby 1320video14,459,855 views
- 3:34 ► Volvo Automatic Driving for Parkingby YouCar37,196 views
- 4:46 2013 Ford Escape: Man vs Machine Self-Parking Challenge & Tech Reviewby The Fast Lane Car29,282 views
- 4:29 Audi Pre Senseby AudiofAmerica148,154 views
- 1:07 The best parallel parking ever!by Condividissimo23,469,277 views
- 33:32 H2O 2013 Official After Movie | Stance Nationby AutoStormCP138,400 views
- 4:21 This Audi Parks Itself, and Comes When You Callby Jim Motavalli12,366 views
- 2:44 Teen Invents Affordable Self-Driving Carby DNews20,358 views
- 1:21 How to Parallel Park (Easy 4-Step Tutorial).by Morozov Automotive303,814 views
- 24:27 Embedded Linux Conference 2013 - KEYNOTE Google's Self Driving Carsby TheLinuxFoundation33,118 views
- 9:43 Google Carby HurgenJurgen100,191 views
- 3:39 Volkswagen People's car project, Hover Car, the flying two-seaterby TechnologicVehicles2,349,131 views
- 1:31 Perpindicular Parking: Valeo Autonomous Parking Self Parking Car no Driver Needed Remote Parkingby Sam Azuz27,407 views
- Loading more suggestions...