WEF - Protesters Ready Igloos to Occupy Davos
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jan 24, 2012
For more news and videos visit ➡ http://english.ntdtv.com
Follow us on Twitter ➡ http://twitter.com/NTDTelevision
Add us on Facebook ➡ http://on.fb.me/s5KV2C
Occupy Davos activists put the finishing touches to their "Igloo Camp." Their goal is try to disrupt the annual gathering of the rich and powerful in Switzerland.
The Occupy movement, which went global after protests against Wall Street last year, is camping in igloos to bring its argument with the super-rich "1 percent" to the World Economic Forum (WEF) in Davos, Switzerland.
It is a reminder to the leaders of finance and industry at the WEF of the resentment that is leading to questions about the future direction of capitalism.
The group has set up camp to "occupy" the WEF in a car park just outside the security cordon around the meeting.
Activists say the camp, which includes six igloos plus two heated tepees and a field kitchen, can house about 50 people.
[Ed Sutton, Occupy Protester]:
"...There's seven billion people on the planet who don't have any kind of a say in what they are doing. And we just find that its personification of the fact that free market capitalism and democracy don't really fit together and that's the fundamental thrust of the occupy movement in general."
The Igloo Camp organizer says he's in contact with WEF organizers to promote dialogue with delegates at the meeting but that the activists also plan to try and disrupt the meeting.
[David Roth, Igloo Camp Organizer]:
"Yeah of course we're not just here to make a Disney Land which looks nice for the media we're also here to probably disturb a little bit this WEF as much as possible. We have four thousand policemen, four thousand soldiers here so its not so easy but we're gonna try."
Few of the 2,000 visitors are likely to see the camp by the train station, as many arrive by private jet or helicopter from Zurich.
Standard YouTube License
- 6:32 Wall Street Frat Mocks Occupy Wall Streetby The Young Turks Featured 42,111
- 11:50 China News February 6, 2012by NTDTV2,106 views
- 2:41 Chinese Athletes Banned from Eating Porkby NTDTV1,611 views
- 1:59 Massive Sun Installation Lights up London's Trafalgar Squareby NTDTV2,166 views
- 1:47 India's Hero Subhas Chandra Bose Honoredby NTDTV1,079 views
- 1:48:29 Peter Schiff at Occupy Wall Street: Full Version, Almost 2 Hours Long!by ReasonTV154,333 views
- 13:19 27JAN12 THAILAND's NEWS ; PART4 ; 42nd World Economic Forum Meeting 2012, Davos, Switzerlandby mahhaudj5,389 views
- 2:14 Report on N. Koreas famous news reader Ri Chun Hui [English]by stimmekoreas73,863 views
- 48 videos Play all World Economic Forum | Davos 2012by ReutersTV
- 1:33 Los indignados ocupan Davosby teleSUR tv1,203 views
- 51:13 Davos 2013 - De-risking Africa (CNBC Africa Debate)by World Economic Forum3,166 views
- 1:19:10 Myanmar 2013 - Chasing the Next Big Ideaby World Economic Forum4,645 views
- 1:33:50 Davos 2012 - Global Economic Outlookby World Economic Forum36,975 views
- 1:01:15 Davos 2013 - (CNN) Emerging Economies at a Crossroadsby World Economic Forum25,132 views
- 56:20 Davos 2013 - The Global Development Outlookby World Economic Forum7,707 views
- 2:26 Predictions for the 2012 World Economic Forum in Davos - Decoderby Reuters TV1,270 views
- 1:08:29 Davos Annual Meeting 2009 - Gaza: The Case for Middle East Peaceby World Economic Forum685,592 views
- 21:21 Occupy Toronto - Jan 23 - Shanger Talks To CP24s Cam Woolleyby occupytorontotv300 views
- 4:43 Occupy Wall Street: the story behind seven months of protestby TheGuardian11,488 views
- 3:52 Dumb Liberal Hippies Don't Know Why They're Protestingby UFPnews582,888 views