Max Payne on Kinect Hack (FAAST) using a Wiimote (GlovePIE)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jan 11, 2011
This is one of the games I wanted to do from day one, I hope you agree that the control method genuinely enhances an already amazing game. I'm not sure if it comes across in the video but this is really fun and works pretty darn well.
After the SNES trials I turned straight to Max Payne, but due to FAAST not currently sending low level key presses I was stumped. I managed to find a solution in using the remapping feature of AutoHotKey which has allowed this to work. Future versions of FAAST will negate the need for running this extra script.
As you can see, the leaning left and right stuff is all there - and moving your body forward and backs moves you back and forwards. The reload and interact gestures are becoming pretty standard for me now, and pain killers are popped with an upward motion of the left hand. What makes this special though is the leg movements that activate bullet time. The result is bullet time diving for real! When this game hit just after the Matrix film came out it caused a big stir - with kinect augmentation it gets even better.
The GlovePie script has been improved to allow better aiming as you'll see and in conclusion I think I'm going to spend a few days actually playing through one of my favourite games of all time in a brand new way.
I actually forgot how hard this game was, with the serious scarcity of ammo, variance in weapon dynamics, your fragility and low movement speed combining into a high pressured shoot out. The augments don't make this worse though once you get the hang of using a brand new control method, this is down to the fact that the existing game mechanics in Max Payne are much more sympathetic to this type of setup as opposed to the likes of twitching COD. Think back on how long it took you to aim with a mouse, its taken about a week to get proficient using the wiimotes gyros - probably the biggest bug bear of this whole approach.
The one thing that needs fixing is weapon select, this will be handled by the +/- buttons on the mote in future I think. You'll notice that jumping is done using the A button on the mote as well, it was only really in the COD script to show it could be done ;)
As ever please give your support to the FAAST team who created the toolkit that makes this possible. Try not to bombard Evan with support requests just yet, a forum will be coming soon to handle questions and for people to post scripts he tells me. http://people.ict.usc.edu/~suma/faast/
Oh and the mirror is there to deter the trolls who probably haven't bothered (or been able) to read this far through the description. Go on, have a good laugh at them ;)
Standard YouTube License
- 7:29 Max the Hacker Documentaire (25 million hits!!!)by maxcornelisse Featured 186,330
- 5:03 Call of Duty FPS on Kinect Hack (FAAST) with Wiimote (GlovePIE)by Jack Schofield661,540 views
- 4:50 Nicks Homemade Fingerboard Parkby glyates876,831 views
- 7:34 Rainbow Six FPS on Kinect and Wiimote Using FAAST on OpenNI and GlovePIEby Jack Schofield31,537 views
- 3:42 Mass Effect 3 Shepards VA interviewby SoulFocuser233,642 views
- 9:27 Fahrenheit / Indigo Prophecy played on Kinect Hack (FAAST) with GlovePIEby Jack Schofield26,222 views
- 2:50 Transform yourself to Ultra Seven by Kinectby Tomoto409,531 views
- 3 videos Play all GlovePIE Wiimote Scriptsby SuperSonicPwns
- 10:00 Legend Of Zelda on Kinect Hackby Jack Schofield44,817 views
- 3:41 Xbox Kinect for Call of Duty: Black Opsby GivingAwayFreeStuff1,264,237 views
- 2:22 12 BEST Kinect HACKSby Vsauce1,972,247 views
- 18:19 Grand Theft Auto IV - Gameplay/Walkthrough - Part 1: Roman The Pathological Liarby Constipated Owl12,654 views
- 1:29 Xbox 360 Kinect on Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Black Ops Compatible)by Cherve E Fifteen236,698 views
- 9:01 I SACRIFICE MY GIRLFRIEND (Kinect Party)by PewDiePie5,115,673 views
- 3:39 Wii sensor bar trickby hitthelights9154624,006 views
- 8:20 Wipeout 2 Episode 2by XboxGamesGalore123,920 views
- 7:29 Wipeout in the Zone Episode 7 Walkthroughby XboxGamesGalore279,709 views
- 1:56 Kinect Controls Windows 7by Evoluce1,724,839 views
- 1:10 Kinect Projection mapping with box2D physicsby Michael Korostelev201,453 views
- 10:44 Wipeout in the Zone Episode 3 Walkthroughby XboxGamesGalore385,850 views