Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jan 2, 2008
Advice For New Muslims by Mona
Given that I have been having major problems with my parents regarding my reversion, the following advice is particularly suitable for other new Muslims having problems with their non-Muslim family members:
(1) It is very helpful and comforting to have a few Muslim friends nearby in whom you can confide, ask questions of, and spend time with during the formative and often tumultuous initial period as a new Muslim. Born Muslims are generally honored and pleased to help you improve your faith by showing you the details that help you become a better Muslim.
(2) Before you decide to announce your reversion to loved ones who are non-Muslim, make sure you are ready for their response, whether it is pleasant or horrible. Being ready means many things: understanding the basics of practicing your faith, understanding the reasons behind actions demanded of you by Islam, and being able to reconcile unfortunate world events that are attributed to Muslims with your own understanding of Islam and its inherent goodness, logic, and beauty.
(3) As hypocritical as it may be, many open-minded people cease to be open-minded when difficult issues such as religious conversion "hit home." People who are ordinarily rational, educated, and worldly unfortunately can swing 180 degrees when a person they love converts to a religion they do not appreciate or understand. It may be in your best interest, and in theirs, to not discuss your reversion to Islam until a year or two has passed and you feel comfortable in your faith. At that point, it would be obvious to them that Islam has not made you a worse or lesser person, and has in fact (hopefully!) noticeably improved you!
(4) Most importantly, remember that the best teaching is by example. If you want to help others overcome the stereotypes bound to Islam and lessen discrimination against muslims, be a model muslim! Remember to be tolerant, patient, giving, helpful, and peaceful with those around you, be they muslim or not. Be open to questions regarding your new faith, but do not feel compelled to answer questions to which you do not (yet) know the answers. Get involved in your ummah, mind your prayer, and with time, everything will become easier for you.
Standard YouTube License
- 29:28 I committed fornication(Zina) and I'm so ashamed of myselfby khalifahklothing173,369 views
- 9:06 New Muslims Non-Muslim Parentsby Islam Truth24,785 views
- 7:34 She's a Thoroughly Modern Muslim; part 4by goodyblue18,508 views
- 7:21 She's a Throughly Modern Muslim; part 3by goodyblue22,702 views
- 11:32 Islam in America: Islamic Stars & Stripes - 26 Oct 08 - Pt 1by Al Jazeera English374,312 views
- 31:26 How can a Muslim be more patient? The Deen Show with Sh. Ibrahim Zidanby khalifahklothing23,186 views
- 28:01 Are you new to Islam? A program for new muslims TheDeenShowby khalifahklothing25,689 views
- 9:08 Ready Interview Part 2 - Bollywood Superstar Salman Khan at his Candid Bestby BollywoodHungama.com20,178 views
- 2:55 CAIR-Chicago: Teacher Insults Muslim Studentby CAIRtv252,467 views
- 8:55 Practical Advice For Sisters (2 of 4)by livinghalal7,588 views
- 1:21 NEW MUSLIM COOL: Pardon Me, Are These Hot Dogs Halal?by NewMuslimCool29,502 views
- 7:45 "That's not Hijab" - Ummah Films Season 2 Premiereby ummahfilms719,760 views
- 8:42 Understanding the Proper Way of the Hijabby Straightdawah17,290 views
- 2:08 Wide Shawl Tutorial by Medinaa HIjab #2by Medinaa Hijab2,209 views
- 6:11 Why Hijab?by SalaamTV351,229 views
- 2:29 CAIR Video: McDonald's Accused of Hijab Discriminationby CAIRtv11,359 views
- 3:26 Fatwa: Relationship with non-Muslims friendsby FatwaChannel767 views
- 10:11 How To Wear A Pashmina - 10 Stylist Suggestionsby VeryPashmina49,680 views
- 2:41 Our way to Islam - Muslims in Australia since the 1600s - Video clipby Islam Australia48,667 views
- 10:42 The Secret To Happiness (2010 Film)by Jude Chehab2,966 views
- Loading more suggestions...