Are Signing Statements an Abuse of Presidential Power? - Garry Wills
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Feb 17, 2010
Complete video at: http://fora.tv/2010/02/10/Garry_Wills...
Pulitzer Prize-winning historian Garry Wills expresses concern over how the modern executive branch uses signing statements to apply law according to a president's interpretation of the Constitution, a move that some believe jeopardizes the separation of powers. He accuses President Obama of using "stealth signing statements" on a number of occasions.
Pulitzer Prize-winning historian Garry Wills examines how the atomic bomb transformed our nation down to its deepest constitutional roots -- by dramatically increasing the power of the modern presidency and redefining the government as a national security state -- in ways still felt today. A masterful reckoning from one of America's preeminent historians, Bomb Power draws a direct line from the Manhattan Project to the usurpations of George W. Bush.
The invention of the atomic bomb was a triumph of official secrecy and military discipline -- the project was covertly funded at the behest of the president and, despite its massive scale, never discovered by Congress or the press. This concealment was perhaps to be expected in wartime, but Wills persuasively argues that the Manhattan Project then became a model for the covert operations and overt authority that have defined American government in the nuclear era. The wartime emergency put in place during World War II extended into the Cold War and finally the war on terror, leaving us in a state of continuous war alert for 68 years and counting.
The bomb forever changed the institution of the presidency since only the president controls "the button" and, by extension, the fate of the world. Wills underscores how radical a break this was from the division of powers established by our founding fathers and how it in turn has enfeebled Congress and the courts. The bomb also placed new emphasis on the president's military role, creating a cult around the commander in chief. The tendency of modern presidents to flaunt military airs, Wills points out, is entirely a postbomb phenomenon. Finally, the Manhattan Project inspired the vast secretive apparatus of the national security state, including intelligence agencies such as the CIA and NSA, which remain largely unaccountable to Congress and the American people.
Wills recounts how, following World War II, presidential power increased decade by decade until reaching its stunning apogee with the Bush administration. Both provocative and illuminating, Bomb Power casts the history of the postwar period in a new light and sounds an alarm about the continued threat to our Constitution.
Garry Wills (PhD Yale, 1961) is an adjunct professor and cultural historian whose many books include penetrating studies of George Washington, Richard Nixon, the Kennedy family, Ronald Reagan, and religion in America. His numerous prizes include the Merle Curti Award of the American Historical Association, the National Book Critics Award, the Pulitzer Prize, and an honorary doctorate from the College of the Holy Cross.
Standard YouTube License
- 4:06 From Bush to Obama: Presidential Power Out of Hand? - John Deanby ForaTv4,004 views
- 7:12 Garry Wills - Misconceptions about St. Paulby ForaTv7,069 views
- 4:52 Garry Wills - Was America Founded on Christianity?by ForaTv13,915 views
- 3:14 Dark Matter vs Dark Energy - Leonard Susskindby ForaTv113,898 views
- 6:11 Mike Malloy: Six other black presidents before Obama?by Andrew Pang3,410 views
- 4:31 President Obama Mourns the Death of Nelson Mandelaby WSJDigitalNetwork33,240 views
- 59:03 Executive Power and the War on Terrorby University of California Television (UCTV)4,009 views
- 1:00:33 Conversations with History - Garry Willsby UCBerkeleyEvents7,461 views
- 41:17 Air Force One & other PresIdential Travel [FULL VIDEO]by FakeProphetTV593,580 views
- 49:59 Los Secretos de la Historia: El auténtico George Washington.by CamiSnape11,277 views
- 1:03:11 Aleksander Hemon and Garry Willsby Chicago Humanities Festival1,680 views
- 45:58 The Real George Washingtonby National Geographic175,264 views
- 1:36:47 BBC Storyville: American Idol - Ronald Reagan Documentaryby Dinimess2k770,247 views
- 4:45 Bush & Presidential Powers (1 of 2)by Hauenstein Center547 views
- 1:05:44 Garry Wills (2/11/10)by Commonwealth Club2,050 views
- 6:55 NDAA 2012: Is This The Beginning Of Martial Law In The US. Obama Wont Detain Americans?by Conspirafied03,081 views
- 1:30 Faith & Reason: Garry Wills on St. Augustineby Faith Reason2,958 views
- 14:51 American Christianity - Garry Willsby Faith Reason916 views
- 52:03 Lincoln at Gettysburg: A faculty panelby CornellUniversity581 views
- 4:33 Nelson Mandela Death: Obama Remembers 'Profoundly Good' Manby The New York Times15,424 views
- Loading more suggestions...