Pac 12 and Rose Bowl Champs Oregon Ducks Football: 2013 Forecast: Oregon Reign
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Aug 10, 2012
Pac 12 Preview:
Courtesy Bleacher Report
Rich Brooks set the foundation. Mike Bellotti built on it nicely. Chip Kelly has topped it off with a penthouse suite and all the bells and whistles you could want. Well, all but one thing.
Kelly took over as the head coach and Mike Bellotti moved to AD for a year. This is his first head coaching job. In his three years he has an overall record of 34-6 and a conference record of 26-2. He has guided the Ducks to three straight conference titles and their first Rose Bowl win in 95 years.
The one thing that he does not have is a National Championship. They played for it but lost in 2010. Kelly flirted with the NFL this off season but said he still had unfinished business to take care of and I think this is what he meant.
Darren Thomas surprised everyone by declaring for the draft early. He led Oregon to an undefeated regular season and an appearance in the National Championship game and to a Rose Bowl win. A lot of Oregon fans think that both guys vying for the job are better.
Red shirt sophomore Bryan Bennett would appear to have the job based on experience as he played in a few games last season when Thomas was injured. He first came off the bench and held off Arizona State. He started the next week and led Oregon to a 45-2 stomping of Colorado. Thomas came back for Washington State but struggled and Bennett came in and closed it out.
The other guy fighting for the job is Marcus Mariota, a true freshman. Most people got their first real look at Mariota in the spring game and what a look it was. Mariota completed 18 of 26 passes for 202 yards and a touchdown, not to mention 99 yards rushing and two more scores.
Losing a schools all time leading rusher seems like it would really hurt. While I have no doubt that Oregon will miss LaMichael James, I think their running backs will step up nicely.
Kenjon Barner is no stranger to the offense and ran for just under 1000 yards while backing up James. He will split time with utility player DeAnthony Thomas who will line up anywhere you ask him to and make a play doing it. Unfortunately after those two, the depth of this position becomes a question.
Speaking of DeAnthony Thomas, he is listed as a running back but has been more valuable as a receiver. He led the team last year in receiving yards.
Oregon has led the conference in rushing the last six years and led the nation last year. Good running backs are one part of it the other is the offensive line. Oregon could make an argument for the best line in the conference. They replace two starters and wait on the status of starting guard Carson York. York was injured in the Rose Bowl. The early schedule should help with any cohesion problems.
The defensive line is one of the best in the conference as well, and that is with some uncertainty as to who will play. Highly recruited defensive end Arik Armstead is just a freshman. If he has a good fall camp he could start. Defensive end Dion Jordan could have a breakout season.
Due to a rotation of players on defense the linebackers graduate two and still look just as strong. Michael Clay was just a few tackles away from being the team leader. Kiko Alonso played off the bench and still managed to be named Rose Bowl defensive MVP.
The secondary will be led by free safety John Boyett who was the team's leading tackler and a four year starter. There was a high rotation of corners last season and that should pay off this year. Terence Mitchell started at one side and the other appears to be Ifo Ekpre-Olomu coming out of spring. Rover Eddie Pleasant is gone and it is uncertain who will take over.
Oregon is favored to win the North and got a few votes to win the conference. On top of that, there are some out there who even have Oregon playing for the National Championship. Oregon looks to be in a reloading phase at a few key positions but should be capable of meeting these expectations. Oregon should reach their fourth BCS bowl in a row.
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Amazing" on
- 6:57 NCAA Football 13 - Oregon Ducks Dynasty | Week 7 vs. Arizona St.by panoramicblue14 Featured 8,386
- 2:05:12 2013 Fiesta Bowl: Oregon Ducks vs. Kansas State Wildcats (FULL GAME)by FootballAtOregon127,390 views
- 1:33:34 2009 Rose Bowl #7 Oregon vs #8 Ohio Stateby thornsx27,182 views
- 1:35:42 2010 Rose Bowl #3 TCU vs #5 Wisconsin (read description)by thornsx12,933 views
- 1:27:27 1997 Rose Bowl #2 Arizona State vs #4 Ohio Stateby thornsx8,631 views
- 2:26:59 2012 Rose Bowl #5 Oregon vs #10 Wisconsinby thornsx25,750 views
- 14:56 1995 Rose Bowl Highlights Penn State vs. Oregonby palmeroids25,410 views
- 10:33 Top 25 Plays of the 2011-2012 Oregon Ducks Football Seasonby CFBLover359,870 views
- 9:57 Top Ten Trick Plays of College Footballby FifthQuarterCFB5,319,733 views
- 2:58:25 2013 Fiesta Bowl Oregon vs Kansas Stateby noonkick217,302 views
- 8:45 Oregon Ducks Highlights 2011by UniFootballFilms3,166 views
- 2:21:13 #1 USC vs #2 Texas 2005 National Championshipby thornsx107,577 views
- 10:26 Marcus Mariota, #8, Senior Football Highlights, Class of 2011, Saint Louis High Schoolby Hawaii Sports Productions82,222 views
- 2:11:07 2013 Rose Bowl Stanford vs Wisconsinby noonkick39,664 views
- 7:35 A Day In the Life: Fall Football Campby GoDucksdotcom43,013 views
- 24:37 Oregon vs Oregon State 2013 Ducks Highlights HDby PurpleAntenna783 views
- 6:07 De'anthony Thomas Freshman Highlightsby Alec Berger213,812 views
- 4:58 Oregon Offensive Lineman Darrion Weems 2012 Draft Preview Reelby James Pettigrew1,532 views
- 4:01 handball stars, goals, saves, airby oskars911,600,057 views
- 3:08 2013 Oregon Football Official Hype Videoby XOSSports276,325 views
- Loading more suggestions...