Marriage and Men
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Apr 26, 2010
Jesus is the only perfect man to ever live. Because most men fail to look to Him as our example, there exists 2 extremes in men: chauvinism and cowardice. Pastor Mark Driscoll preaches to men about being real men who love God and serve their family well in this sermon from Trial.
After addressing women last week, this week Pastor Mark preached specifically to men.
1.Your father: Adam (Genesis 1 3)
Marriage is a covenant (Prov. 2:16; Mal. 2:14).
Men are the covenant head, responsible for their wife and family (Gen. 2:18; 5:2; 1 Cor. 11:2 16, 14:33 34; Eph. 5:21 33; Col. 3:18; Titus 2:3 5; 1 Pet. 3:1).
Adam and Eve both sinned, both are at fault, and both are cursed, but God held Adam responsible (Gen. 3:9).
Marriage is cursed (Gen. 3:16). Work is cursed (Gen. 3:17 19). Jesus is the only hope (Gen. 3:15).
Like Adam, the sins of men fall into two general categories: sins of commission (doing what youre not supposed to do) and sins of omission (not doing what youre supposed to do). This leads chauvinistic or cowardly tendencies:
No Sissy Stuff Sam: whatever women do, do the opposite
Success and Status Stewart: masculinity = material success
Giveem Hell Hank: angry and abusive
Im the Boss Bob: domineering and controlling; in authority, not under authority
Little Boy Larry: never grew up, disorganized, lives with his mother, etc.
Sturdy Oak Owen: absolutely dependable but emotionally absent
Hyper-Spiritual Henry: Hides behind religious behavior and God talk. Talks at you but not to you.
*Good Time Gary: *irresponsible life of the party
h3. 3. Your Savior: Jesus Christ (the Last Adam, 1 Cor. 15:45)
Ephesians 5:25 calls men to love their wives as Christ loves the Church. Men are not ready to be good husbands until they are a part of the Church and understand how Christ loves the Church by taking responsibility for her and sacrificing himself for her.
The essence of true masculinity is taking responsibility.
Understand that a wifes fears (1 Pet. 3:6) are legitimate; men dominate the lives of women and children, for good or for evil. Honor your wife:
Honor her maritally. Take a wife honorably. Establish right priorities, and be a one woman man—absolutely faithful to your wife.
Honor her physically. Be strong for your wife, not against her. Be protective of her and present with her.
Honor her emotionally. Be emotionally present and intimate. Take her on dates.
Honor her verbally. Speak honorably to her. Speak honorably of her, when she is present and absent.
Honor her financially. Provide for the financial needs of your family, organize your budget, and be generous towards your wife.
Honor her practically. Consider her needs and how you can serve her.
Honor her parentally. Be Pastor Dad by shepherding your children (praying with them, teaching them about Jesus, reading the Bible with them, etc.).
Honor her spiritually. You initiate and lead prayer, Bible, chats, church attendance, etc. Take responsibility for your church.
What happens when you fail to honor your wife? God ignores you (1 Pet. 3:7). Repent.
Recovering Biblical Manhood and Womanhood, by Wayne Grudem and John Piper
God, Marriage, and the Family, by Andreas Kostenberger
New Men, Soft Patriarchs: How Christianity Shapes Fathers and Husbands, by W. Bradford Wilcox
This clip is taken from the sermon "Trial: Marriage and Men ," preached by Pastor Mark Driscoll at the Mars Hill Church Ballard campus in Seattle, Washington, on March 22, 2009. It is the 9th sermon in our sermon series, "Trial: 8 Witnesses from 1 & 2 Peter."
To watch the full sermon, visit: http://www.marshillchurch.org/media/t...
Standard YouTube License
- 24:09 Men not marrying? How deep does "the problem" go?by karen straughan Featured 267,978
- 1:03:31 Marriage and Womenby Mars Hill Church155,176 views
- 5:05 Should women pursue men?by Mars Hill Church253,196 views
- 6:30 Husbands As Stay-At-Home Dadsby Mars Hill Church215,946 views
- 1:22:33 Are You Ready for a Relationship? by Paul Washerby SermonIndex.net93,276 views
- 57:19 Real Marriage: The Respectful Wife - Mark Driscollby religionphilosophy29,498 views
- 25:44 HOW TO RECOGNIZE FALSE TEACHING - Francis Chanby venetable97,923 views
- 96 videos Play all Mars Hill Pastor Mark Driscoll Sermonsby aimezmoi13
- 4:48 Masturbation is not a sin but lust is | Mark Driscollby AgapeGospel Grace86,937 views
- 13:51 Mark Driscoll on Twilightby harothomas294,184 views
- 3:23 Mark Driscoll defends his use of offensive and inappropriate language during his sermonby AgapeGospel Grace58,348 views
- 1:06:54 Dating - Mark Driscollby religionphilosophy4,593 views
- 57:03 Real Marriage: Can We ________? - Mark Driscollby religionphilosophy15,093 views
- 1:20:19 A29 Boot camp | Mark Driscoll on Marriage, Ministry & Mistakesby Mars Hill Church48,872 views
- 1:11:13 Make Your Marriage A Success [Full Sermon] ❃Myles Munroe❃by MarriageSermons Others23,332 views
- 57:14 Real Marriage: Selfish Lovers and Servant Lovers - Mark Driscollby religionphilosophy8,897 views
- 1:04:10 Real Marriage: New Marriage, Same Spouse - Mark Driscollby religionphilosophy5,348 views
- 1:01:54 Real Marriage: Taking Out the Trash - Mark Driscollby religionphilosophy6,137 views
- 1:07:27 Real Marriage: Friend with Benefits - Mark Driscollby religionphilosophy7,869 views
- 7:32 What is the one thing God won't forgive?by Mars Hill Church126,751 views