This video is unavailable.
MTV Breaks Obama's Climate Silence
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Oct 26, 2012
http://climatesilence.org/ 10/26/12: MTV's Sway Williams breaks the climate silence, asking President Barack Obama a tough question about global warming. Obama says he's "surprised it didn't come up in the debates."
When MTV Breaks The Climate Silence, Obamas Says 'We're Not Moving As Fast As We Need To,' Says He's 'Surprised' By Climate Silence, Portrays Climate Change As Threat For 'Future Generations' And 'It's Going To Have A Severe Effect.'
Q: Until this year global climate change has been discussed in every presidential debate since 1988. It was a big part of your previous campaign but pushed back on the back burner. Given the urgency of the threat, do you feel that we're moving quickly enough on this issue, number one, and Samantha from New Jersey wants to know what will you do to make it a priority?
OBAMA: The answer is number one, we're not moving as fast as we need to. And this is an issue that future generations, MTV viewers, are going to have to be dealing with even more than the older generation. So this is a critical issue. And there is a huge contrast in this campaign between myself and Governor Romney. I am surprised it didn't come up in one of the debates. Gov. Romney says he believes in climate change. That's different than a lot of members of his own party that deny it completely. But he's not sure that man-made causes are the reason. I believe scientists who say we are putting too much carbon emissions into the atmosphere and it's heating the planet and it's going to have a severe effect. There are a lot of things we have done a lot of things in the last four years. We have already doubled the fuel efficiency standards on cars and trucks. That's the first increase in 30 years in the fuel mileage standards. As a consequence we will be taking huge amounts of carbon out of the atmosphere, even as we're also saving folks money at the pump and reducing our dependence on foreign oil. We have doubled clean energy production -- wind, solar, biofuels -- and that means that increasingly people are getting electricity, companies are generating power, without the use of carbon-producing fuels. And that's helping as well. The next step is to deal with buildings and really ramp up our efficiency in buildings. If we had the same energy efficiency as Japan, we would cut our energy use by about 20 percent, and that means we'd be taking a whole lot of carbon out of our atmosphere. And if we do those things, we can meet the targets that I negotiated with other countries in Copenhagen, to bring our carbon emissions down by about 17 percent, even as we're creating good jobs in these industries. In order for us to solve the whole problem though, we're gonna have to have some technological breakthroughs. Because countries like China and India, they're building coal-power plants and they feel that they have to prioritize getting people out of poverty ahead of climate change. So what we have to do is help them and help ourselves by continuing to put money into research and technology about how do we really get the new sources of power that are going to make a difference.
Standard YouTube License
- 7:39 George Carlin on Global Warmingby thenewhosser10580Featured 550,285
- 58:59 Earth The Climate Wars - Episode 1by maan100283 32,722 views
- 10:46 Climate Realist Marc Morano Debates Bill Nye the Science Guy on Global Warmingby OnlyWaxing 68,130 views
- 58:08 Guy McPherson, Climate Collapse talk at Age of Limits 2013by paulineprojectlove 2,229 views
- 2:35 Chris Rock: "Obama Doesn't Sell His Accomplishments" with Sway on Shade45by sirius 5,097 views
- 4:28 David Letterman President Barack Obama Zings Romney's 47% Remarkby ThePopularFeed 39,836 views
- 2:45 Chris Rock Rates Barack Obama's Presidency on #SwayInTheMorningby SwaysUniverse 8,368 views
- 21:02 Climate Change Essentials by Peter Sinclairby newculture 16,928 views
- 3:08 President Obama debuts 'Romnesia' attackby Charlie Spiering 7,428 views
- 12:51 Barack Obama Interview on Morning Joe 10/29/12by Lord Rothschild 1,909 views
- 6:55 Ben Swann interviews President Obama (NDAA, Kill List, Syria, Afghanistan)by Eduardo89rp 39,643 views
- 5:53 TODAY Interview Savannah Guthrie with Obama : "Obama Gun control has 'a good chance' of passing"by Helmut Zermin 1,341 views
- 14:14 Jon Stewart on Crossfireby Alex Felker 5,814,108 views
- 1:36:21 Third Presidential Debate: Obama vs. Romney (Complete - Closed Caption)by TheDailyConversation 151,546 views
- 1:18 Romney vs. Sandyby ForecastTheFacts 854,511 views
- 21:25 Where is Obama's Climate Change Agenda?by TheRealNews 2,695 views
- 6:59 Donald Trump Goes After 'Grandstander' NSA Leaker Edward Snowden On Foxby martysoffice 1,684 views
- 1:31 Boy touched Obama's hair!! Funny Momentby ArmMOVIE 78,917 views
- 17:36 President Barack Obama at the 2012 White House Correspondents' Dinnerby JimmyKimmelLive 1,124,034 views
- 6:10 Obama on Climate Changeby TheYoungTurks 39,383 views
- Loading more suggestions...