MTV Breaks Obama's Climate Silence
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Oct 26, 2012
http://climatesilence.org/ 10/26/12: MTV's Sway Williams breaks the climate silence, asking President Barack Obama a tough question about global warming. Obama says he's "surprised it didn't come up in the debates."
When MTV Breaks The Climate Silence, Obamas Says 'We're Not Moving As Fast As We Need To,' Says He's 'Surprised' By Climate Silence, Portrays Climate Change As Threat For 'Future Generations' And 'It's Going To Have A Severe Effect.'
Q: Until this year global climate change has been discussed in every presidential debate since 1988. It was a big part of your previous campaign but pushed back on the back burner. Given the urgency of the threat, do you feel that we're moving quickly enough on this issue, number one, and Samantha from New Jersey wants to know what will you do to make it a priority?
OBAMA: The answer is number one, we're not moving as fast as we need to. And this is an issue that future generations, MTV viewers, are going to have to be dealing with even more than the older generation. So this is a critical issue. And there is a huge contrast in this campaign between myself and Governor Romney. I am surprised it didn't come up in one of the debates. Gov. Romney says he believes in climate change. That's different than a lot of members of his own party that deny it completely. But he's not sure that man-made causes are the reason. I believe scientists who say we are putting too much carbon emissions into the atmosphere and it's heating the planet and it's going to have a severe effect. There are a lot of things we have done a lot of things in the last four years. We have already doubled the fuel efficiency standards on cars and trucks. That's the first increase in 30 years in the fuel mileage standards. As a consequence we will be taking huge amounts of carbon out of the atmosphere, even as we're also saving folks money at the pump and reducing our dependence on foreign oil. We have doubled clean energy production -- wind, solar, biofuels -- and that means that increasingly people are getting electricity, companies are generating power, without the use of carbon-producing fuels. And that's helping as well. The next step is to deal with buildings and really ramp up our efficiency in buildings. If we had the same energy efficiency as Japan, we would cut our energy use by about 20 percent, and that means we'd be taking a whole lot of carbon out of our atmosphere. And if we do those things, we can meet the targets that I negotiated with other countries in Copenhagen, to bring our carbon emissions down by about 17 percent, even as we're creating good jobs in these industries. In order for us to solve the whole problem though, we're gonna have to have some technological breakthroughs. Because countries like China and India, they're building coal-power plants and they feel that they have to prioritize getting people out of poverty ahead of climate change. So what we have to do is help them and help ourselves by continuing to put money into research and technology about how do we really get the new sources of power that are going to make a difference.
Standard YouTube License
- 7:39 Ellen Meets President Obamaby TheEllenShow Featured 4,215,337
- 1:29:41 It's Too Late To Stop Climate Change, WE ARE DEAD, Guy McPherson 18Nov2013by Vincent Eastwood2,831 views
- 47:33 Head to Head - Climate change: Fact or fiction?by Al Jazeera English12,709 views
- 51:30 The Gulf Stream and the Next Ice Age - Future Focus Episode 2013by OccupyNWO53,662 views
- 45:08 (HD) Earth Under Water in Next 20 Years - National Geographic Documentaryby Prabhjeet Documentaries1,130,556 views
- 58:25 BBC THE TRUTH ABOUT CLIMATE CHANGE PART 1by Gabriele Mogni51,429 views
- 1:27:32 Discovery Channel - Global Warming, What You Need To Know, with Tom Brokawby ClimateState563,043 views
- 45:08 3D) Earth Under Water Worldwide Flooding Global Warming National Geographic Documentary SaidFuby SaidFull3D506 views
- 12:53 Climate Change in 12 Minutes - The Skeptic's Caseby Stefan Molyneux60,874 views
- 6:16 Kerry Washington Talks "Scandal" and Relationship with Michelle Obama on #SwayInTheMorningby SwaysUniverse17,603 views
- 48:47 Climate / Energy Policy: The Full Obama Speech from June 25, 2013 in HDby ClimateState1,874 views
- 1:22 Michael Jackson talks about his appearance and changing skin color!by TheMJDefenderz113,875 views
- 1:31:43 The Great Debate: CLIMATE CHANGE - Surviving The Future (OFFICIAL) - (Part 1/2)by ShirleyFilms20,339 views
- 5:16 Obama answers question on global warming actionsby LCVheatison17,228 views
- 1:17:04 Barack Obama Full Speech on Climate Change - Georgetown University - June 25, 2013by TheMrSirCharles515 views
- 54:51 Climate Change 2013: Greenland Ice Sheet & Northern Polar Jet Stream - Peter Sinclairby newculture18,424 views
- 12:51 Barack Obama Interview on Morning Joeby Lord Rothschild2,157 views
- 17:44 Climate change is simple: David Roberts at TEDxTheEvergreenStateCollegeby TEDxTalks95,655 views
- 5:07 Comedians Key & Peele Speak on Meeting Barack Obama on #SwayInTheMorningby SwaysUniverse22,061 views
- 21:25 Where is Obama's Climate Change Agenda?by TheRealNews2,774 views
- Loading more suggestions...