The Great Debate: Women's Rights & Roles in Islam ( Q & A Session - 3 of 3 )
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Dec 12, 2011
What is the status of women in Islam?
How do the Qur'an view women?
Are Muslim Women Oppressed?
In a jam packed auditorium at the University of Milwaukee, WI. organized by MSA on Nov. 7, 1992, Aminah Assilmi responds to a series of nationally syndicated anti-Islamic articles "Women of the Veil" by Deborah Scroggins.
Sr. Aminah Assilmi spoke on the topic of women's rights and roles in Islam. She described how Islam have given the rights to women 1400 years ago. Muslim history is full with women scholars, educationalist, property owners and business women, all these rights are granted by Islam. She also explained how Hijab is the badge of honor for Muslim women not the symbol of oppression.
Representing the Muslim perspective was Sister Aminah Assilmi; Sister Assilmi was a renowned female scholar of Islam she traveled around the United States to give lectures , her personal story had admired hundreds of individuals , she was also President of International Union of Muslim Women, the organization that has many achievements under its belt.
She used to be a Southern Baptist, a radical feminist and a broadcast journalist. then she became an ambassador of Islam.
Sister Aminah traveled the country speaking on college campuses, increasing public awareness and understanding of the faith.
She passed away on the 5th of March 2010 in a tragic automobile accident.. May Allah grant her firdaus, ameen
Representing the Christian side was Deborah Scroggins; Deborah is an American journalist and author. A graduate of Tulane University and Columbia University, she was a reporter and editor for the Atlanta Journal-Constitution from 1987 to 1998,
Her book Emma's War: An Aid Worker, Radical Islam and the Politics of Oil - A True Story of Love and Death in the Sudan is about Emma McCune, a British aid worker who married Sudanese warlord Riek Machar.
It won the 2003 Ron Ridenhour Award for Truth-Telling. Tony Scott plans to direct a film based on the book and initial reports indicated that Nicole Kidman would star as McCune
The Topic of Debate: Women's Rights & Roles in Islam
Aminah Assilmi (ra)
(University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, USA, November 7th, 1992)
Standard YouTube License
- 53:55 Islam: Empire of Faith. Part 1: Prophet Muhammad and rise of Islam (full; PBS Documentary)by fazzamin Featured 1,809,043
- 1:31:49 The Late Sister Aminah Assilmi (former Southern Baptist)by tobygeral31,095 views
- 1:12:17 The Jesus Debate: Who is Jesus? Metaphor, Prophet or Son of God? ( Q & A Session - 3 of 3 )by MuslimByChoice3,922 views
- 47:16 Islam - The True Liberator of Women ( Q & A Session - 2 of 2 )by MuslimByChoice1,660 views
- 56:13 Islam - The True Liberator of Women ( 1 of 2 )by MuslimByChoice5,267 views
- 21:15 The Great Debate: Women's Rights & Roles in Islam ( Crossfire Session - 2 of 3 )by MuslimByChoice4,044 views
- 3:15 David Wood's Awkward Moment During Debateby MuslimByChoice7,266 views
- 36:59 The Great Debate: Women's Rights & Roles in Islam ( Opening Statements - 1 of 3 )by MuslimByChoice7,459 views
- 52:05 Does Science Really Lead to Atheism? ( Q & A Session - 4 of 4 )by MuslimByChoice1,039 views
- 2:40:12 Christianity vs. Islam debate - Dave Hunt vs Shabir Allyby IslamAlive21,287 views
- 57:34 Why Islam? An Audience with Paul Williams ( Q & A Session - 2 of 2 )by MuslimByChoice822 views
- 1:45:34 Christian Muslim Debates - Jamal Badawi, Hussain Morsi V.S. Gleason Archer, Anis Shorroshby shakirshuvo6,786 views
- 22:59 Questions and Answers - Jeffrey Lang and Aminah Assilmiby Islam On Demand6,858 views
- 58:01 Why a Former Buddhist Christian accepted Islam? TheDeenShowby khalifahklothing304,250 views
- 39:52 Women In Islam: Through Western Eyes - By Lisa Killingerby Islam On Demand44,297 views
- 10:25 Women Are Nothing In Islamby HijabiBengaliSisters .39,439 views
- 2:05:47 Muslim-Christian Debate: Women & Marriage in the Quran and Bibleby Muslim Debate Initiative72,592 views
- 1:36:02 God: Delusion or Truth? ᴴᴰ - Hamza Andreas Tzortzis & Abdurraheem Greenby allahsdeen24,288 views
- 58:46 The Big Questions - Is It Time For All Religions To Accept Evolutionby Oryah Kahn19,291 views
- 58:46 Are religions unfair to women?by Tr3Vel0cita78,502 views
- Loading more suggestions...