Sudden Cardiac Arrest | St. Vincent's HealthCare
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Dec 9, 2011
People who have weak heart muscles from heart attacks are usually at risk for sudden cardiac arrest.
Living in the South, chances are you've lived through a major storm...The power goes out and you end up in the dark. It's a similar scenario tow hat can happen during sudden cardiac arrest whent eh electrical system in your heart goes out.
But just like having a back-up generator, an internal defibrillator can help you survive.
Dr. Arne Sippens Groenewegen talks about sudden cardiac arrest and the importance of defibrillators.
QUESTION 1: WHO IS AT RISK FOR SUDDEN CARDIAC ARREST?
Answer 1: Patients with a pre-existing weak heart because of a prior heart attack or because of high blood pressure or a viral infection that created a weak heart muscle.
QUESTION 2: TELL US WHAT CAN BE DONE FOR PATIENTS WITH A WEAK HEART?
Answer 2: Many patients can benefit from pacemakers or defibrillators...devices that are implanted to resynchronize the heart if a life threatening arrhythmia occurs.
QUESTION 3: DR. SIPPENS, YOU CAN ACTUALLY MONITOR HEART RYTHMS REMOTELY? DEMONSTRATE HOW THIS WORKS.
Answer 3: Patients have a unit at their house which plugs into a phone jack in the bedroom and it communicates wirelessly with the device. The information gets downloaded from the device to the unit and a dial up connection is created to the internet and the server will download data. Physicians have access to it and are notified if there is a problem. In the future, we will have the capability to download information using a cell phone.
QUESTION 4: WHAT TYPES OF SCREENINGS CAN BE DONE TO SEE IF YOU HAVE A WEAK HEART?
• Know Your EF (Ejection Fraction) -- It's the percentage of blood squeezed out of the left ventricle with each heartbeat. If it's below 35%, there's a risk for SCD.
QUESTION 5: WHAT IF A PATIENT HAS A HEART ATTACK BUT AFTER 5 OR 10 YEARS FEELS FINE? COULD THEY STILL BE AT RISK?
Answer 5: Even 10 years after their initial heart attack and the scar that developed and created the weak heart, they still have a risk for a life threatening arrhythmia. We recommend they see a doctor or cardiologist to get screened.
Standard YouTube License
- 10:04 What is Sudden Cardiac Arrest? Chapter 1 (HRS Patient DVD)by HRSonline Featured 2,131
- 8:03 St. Vincent's Clay County Preview Tour | St. Vincent's HealthCareby Jaxhealth437 views
- 3:47 Victory in Pink 2013by Jaxhealth301 views
- 8:10 Brain Cancer Vaccine Trial | St. Vincent's HealthCareby Jaxhealth244 views
- 2:04 St. Vincent's Clay County Associates Report to Work | St. Vincent's HealthCareby Jaxhealth540 views
- 10:54 Rescue 911 - Episode 628 - "CPR Parking Lot"by allgood200067,918 views
- 6:33 TV Anchor Survives Cardiac Arrest - KDKA-TVby Ian Smith7,912 views
- 5:17 Sudden Cardiac Arrest Survivorby BostonScientificBSX971 views
- 10:00 Patient 10 days after having LVADby dhx7333,469 views
- 4:10 Cardiac Arrestby Thenewsmaker oftoday146,496 views
- 11:14 Two Cardiac Arrestsby Larry Mellick137,103 views
- 9:43 High Blood Pressure Part 1by Daniel Hammer8,211 views
- 1:10:59 Manchu Lakshmi Open Heart with RKby abntelugutv210,074 views
- 1:16:46 Suma Open Heart with RKby abntelugutv557,621 views
- 10:00 CHECK YOUR HEARTBEATby AmightyWindTruthsWar516 views
- 4:43 How To Overcome MRI Claustrphobia!by Tim Shurr389 views
- 34:49 Senior Artist Sri Lakshmi Open Heart with RK 1 of 2by abntelugutv60,996 views
- 8:11 Saving Lives from Sudden Cardiac Arrestby SCAA200923,011 views
- 6:56 1of2 REAL cause of High Blood Pressure & Solution-MUST SEE!by quantumsolutions20,269 views
- 3:03 Facts about Sudden Cardiac Arrestby Healthy Heart8,793 views
- Loading more suggestions...