Independent Run by Ron Paul Would Pull 17 percent of Presidential Vote: New Reason-Rupe Poll
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Mar 28, 2012
As Mitt Romney looks to sew up the Republican presidential nomination, the just-released Reason-Rupe Foundation poll shows that Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas) could play the spoiler if he mounted an independent campaign by making it virtually impossible for the GOP candidate to beat Barack Obama.
"Ron Paul would probably take about 17 to 18 percent of the national vote," says Reason Polling Director Emily Ekins. While Paul would pull votes from both candidates, he would take more from Romney. The newest version of the quarterly Reason-Rupe Public Opinion Survey of 1,200 U.S. adults was conducted March 10-20, 2012. Full results and discussion are online here .
The poll shows that Romney has pulled well ahead of GOP rivals Rick Santorum, Newt Gingrich, and Ron Paul among Republican voters. President Obama maintains an edge over Romney in a head-to-head matchup, but both are below 50 percent, says Ekins, with the incumbent beating Romney by 46 percent to 40 percent. And in a three-way race among Obama, Romney, and Paul running as an independent, the totals change to Obama with 41 percent, Romney with 30 percent, and Paul with 17 percent.
In an interview with Reason's Nick Gillespie, Ekins also talked about how Americans are wary of war with Iran (only 37 percent support military intervention if such actions will cause "a war that is similar in length and costs to the war in Iraq") and support for an overhaul of tax policy (45 percent support a shift to a flat tax versus 41 percent opposed).
In a previous interview, Ekins talked about the unpopularity of the Affordable Care Act. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pWdW2...
Read full poll results here. http://reason.com/assets/db/133272418...
4.30 minutes. Filmed by Jim Epstein & Meredith Bragg. Edited by Joshua Swain.
Subscribe to Reason.tv's YouTube channel to receive automatic notification when new material goes live and go to http://reason.tv for downloadable versions of our videos.
Standard YouTube License
- 10:01 Troops supporting Ron Paul are nuts, Newt Gingrich best on Constitutionby AdamKokesh Featured 31,307
- 1:06:14 Explosive Billy Corgan Interview: The Awakening Has Begunby TheAlexJonesChannel489,809 views
- 8:14 Ben Swann - Caucus Leaders In Washington State Blocked Ron Paulby J. Barnes7,984 views
- 10:03 My One Question To Ron Paulby TruthNeverTold19,744 views
- 7:25 Bill Maher's New Hero is Ron Paul or and his Son! End time politics TheSuperGeeks.comby TheOriginal FatDonkey31,073 views
- 26:03 How Ron Paul Was Cheated Out Of Presidencyby ThinkOutsideTheTV156,347 views
- 1:39:20 Ron Paul Examines Federal Reserve Bailout of Eurozoneby RonPaul2008dotcom30,340 views
- 14:06 Ron Paul Destroys MSNBC's Alex Wagner On Syriaby djgabrielpresents79,876 views
- 7:58 John Stossel - Government Schoolsby LibertyPen10,719 views
- 20:10 Ben Swann (Reality Check) Santorum Delegate Count a Lie?! Paul Gaining States?!by Josh Tolley19,481 views
- 3:35 Ron Paul Chicago Media Blackoutby WeAreChangeChicago6,819 views
- 12:14 Ron Paul's Greatest Debate Performance Ever (10-18-2011)by KramerDSP573,031 views
- 11:17 Ron Paul WON Nevada, and took over GOP Convention!by ARSONomics4,929 views
- 11:16 Ron Paul supporters take over at GOP conventionby RonPaulFriends216,858 views
- 26:20 Why you should support Ron Paul no matter whatby AdamKokesh11,296 views
- 7:12 Why Obamacare is "the Most Important Case" in 50 Years: Q&A with Timothy Sandefur of PLFby ReasonTV43,355 views
- 8:49 Ron Paul HD Great Speech March 28 2012 University of Maryland 2 of 9by djc2664,344 views
- 4:12 Ron Paul Delegates Blocked by 'Unity Slate' in Washington - Reality Checkby pmpowell0015,885 views
- 3:03 "Constitutional Thunderdome": Day Two of Obamacare Oral Argumentsby ReasonTV27,465 views
- 6:21 2013 - Ron Paul Exposes Obama Martial Law Plans!!!by Top10GamingOfficial378,439 views
- Loading more suggestions...