Great Minds: Stephen Hawking - The Grand Design Of The Universe
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Sep 12, 2010
http://facebook.com/ScienceReason ... Great Minds, Great Words: Stephen Hawking - The Grand Design Of The Universe
Please SUBSCRIBE to Science & Reason:
Stephen Hawking is a British theoretical physicist and cosmologist, whose scientific career spans over forty years. His books and public appearances have made him an academic celebrity and he is an Honorary Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts, a lifetime member of the Pontifical Academy of Sciences, and in 2009 was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the highest civilian award in the United States.
Hawking was the Lucasian Professor of Mathematics at the University of Cambridge for thirty years, taking up the post in 1979 and retiring on 1 October 2009. He is also a Fellow of Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge and a Distinguished Research Chair at the Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics in Waterloo, Ontario. He is known for his contributions to the fields of cosmology and quantum gravity, especially in the context of black holes. He has also achieved success with works of popular science in which he discusses his own theories and cosmology in general; these include the runaway best seller A Brief History of Time, which stayed on the British Sunday Times bestsellers list for a record-breaking 237 weeks.
Stephen Hawking's key scientific works to date have included providing, with Roger Penrose, theorems regarding gravitational singularities in the framework of general relativity, and the theoretical prediction that black holes should emit radiation, which is today known as Hawking radiation (or sometimes as Bekenstein--Hawking radiation).
Hawking has a neuro-muscular dystrophy that is related to amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, a condition that has progressed over the years and has left him almost completely paralysed.
Stephen Hawking has repeatedly used the word "God" (in metaphorical meanings) to illustrate points made in his books and public speeches. His ex-wife, Jane said during their divorce proceedings that he was an atheist. Hawking has stated that he is "not religious in the normal sense" and he believes that "the universe is governed by the laws of science. The laws may have been decreed by God, but God does not intervene to break the laws." Hawking compared religion and science in 2010, saying: "There is a fundamental difference between religion, which is based on authority, [and] science, which is based on observation and reason. Science will win because it works."
On September 2010, The Telegraph reported, "Stephen Hawking has declared that his latest work shows there was no creator of the universe" and that the new m-theory "accounts for the birth of the universe...and replaces the need for religious accounts in Hawking's mind." Hawking wrote in his new book "The Grand Design" that "Because there is a law such as gravity, the universe can and will create itself from nothing. Spontaneous creation is the reason there is something rather than nothing, why the universe exists, why we exist. It is not necessary to invoke God to light the blue touch paper and set the universe going."
Standard YouTube License
- 10:11 The Language Of Scienceby FFreeThinker Featured 67,976
- 52:12 Carl Sagan, Stephen Hawking and Arthur C. Clarke - God, The Universe and Everything Else (1988)by TheScienceFoundation781,542 views
- 48:11 Master Of The Universe Stephen Hawking Episode 1... MUST WATCHby NiTZ Chavan29,143 views
- 48:11 Master Of The Universe Stephen Hawking Episode 2... MUST WATCH!!!!by NiTZ Chavan5,055 views
- 16:06 Yet more evidence emerges that our universe is a grand simulation created by an intelligent designerby Scott Wilhelmsen43,642 views
- 8:05 Stephen Hawking M theory makes God unnecessary original quoteby nsotd2117,223 views
- 1:21 God Does Not Exist - Stephen Hawkingby Rohith Kumar122,266 views
- 9:23 Fr. Barron comments on Stephen Hawking & more tired atheismby Fr. Robert Barron83,932 views
- 8:02 M-Theory Part 1/6by QuantumGh0st23,723 views
- 10:13 Stephen Hawking - No Need For Godby thruthem36,754 views
- 2:51 Great Minds: Richard Feynman - The Uncertainty Of Knowledgeby FFreeThinker194,304 views
- 14:29 Larry King Live - Stephen Hawking, Leonard Mlodinow, Deepak Chopra, Robert Spitzer - Part 2 of 3by JesusSavesAtCitibank35,225 views
- 4 videos Play all Great Minds, Great Wordsby FFreeThinker
- 2:02 Great Minds: Richard Dawkins - 'We Are Going To Die!'by FFreeThinker147,461 views
- 1:04:52 'A Universe From Nothing' by Lawrence Krauss, AAI 2009by Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science1,688,546 views
- 1:38 Stephen Hawking on Godby Joseph Butler212,386 views
- 10:13 Hawking: God Didn't Create The Universeby PrinceOfLogic25,568 views
- 14:15 Larry King Live - Stephen Hawking, Leonard Mlodinow, Deepak Chopra, Robert Spitzer - Part 1 of 3by JesusSavesAtCitibank102,724 views
- 11:58 Larry King Live - Stephen Hawking, Leonard Mlodinow, Deepak Chopra, Robert Spitzer - Part 3 of 3by JesusSavesAtCitibank37,304 views
- 19:01 George Smoot: The design of the universeby TED291,502 views