Marcellus Shale Reality Tour Part 2 - Dimock Day Trip - Fracking
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jan 11, 2012
A video by Scott Cannon http://www.gdacoalition.org
On January 10, 2012, I drove to Dimock Pennsylvania to find out what's going on with the DEP and the EPA's investigation on the water well contamination alleged by Cabot Oil & Gas
Methane in three private water wells in Lenox Twp. seeped there from a flawed natural gas well drilled by Cabot Oil & Gas Corp., state environmental regulators have found.
An investigation by the Department of Environmental Protection determined that the gas migrated from at least one of three Marcellus Shale wells on the Stalter well pad about a half-mile west of Interstate 81 in Susquehanna County.
Read the notice of violation HERE
The gas was found seeping into three water supplies in August. A fourth water well for a hunting cabin is still being evaluated, DEP spokesman Daniel Spadoni said.
Video from inside one of Cabot's gas wells showed that a string of steel casing meant to seal off the aquifer from contaminants was improperly constructed, according to a notice of violation sent by DEP in September.
Methane was also found between the cemented strings of casing in all three gas wells on the Stalter pad, a sign state regulators view as evidence of flaws in a well's construction.
The dissolved methane in one nearby water supply jumped from 0.3 milligrams per liter before drilling began to 49 milligrams per liter on Aug. 16 and 57 milligrams per liter on Aug. 18, according to the violation notice.
Cabot installed methane detection alarms in three homes and vented the three affected water wells to keep the methane from accumulating and creating an explosion risk. The company is also delivering replacement drinking water to two of the homes, Mr. Spadoni said. The methane in the third water well has decreased so the home does not require an alternate water supply, he said.
Cabot spokesman George Stark said Friday that the company submitted a detailed response to the DEP and is working with regulators on the issue.
"Cabot is committed to safe and responsible operations and takes matters like this very seriously," he said. "We believe in fact-based, scientific research to guide any necessary corrective actions."
Department regulators sent Cabot a violation notice on Sept. 19, but neither the department's public eFACTS compliance database nor its monthly oil and gas violations report noted the inspection or violations until last week, when a Times-Tribune reporter asked about the investigation.
DEP policy requires the oil and gas program to update the eFACTS database within 10 working days of completing an inspection or mailing a notice of violations.
Mr. Spadoni said the missing information was "an oversight."
Standard YouTube License
- 15:28 Marcellus Shale Reality Tour Part 6 Eviction Notice - Frackingby Gas Drilling Awareness Coalition9,812 views
- 7:53 EPA comes to Dimock - Marcellus Shale Reality Tour Part 3 - Frackingby Gas Drilling Awareness Coalition5,918 views
- 6:04 Gas Well Flaring - Marcellus Shale Reality Tour Part 4 - Frackingby Gas Drilling Awareness Coalition12,135 views
- 41:21 Water on Fire - Marcellus Shale Reality Tour Part 1 - Frackingby Gas Drilling Awareness Coalition76,034 views
- 12:12 Erupting Water Well - Marcellus Shale Reality Tour Part 5 - Frackingby Gas Drilling Awareness Coalition10,066 views
- 37:12 Facts on Fracking Questions and Answers with Dr. Anthony Ingraffeaby Gas Drilling Awareness Coalition4,823 views
- 35:35 WARNING Fracking An Inconvenient Truth Watch Learn about Fracking Shale Gas what they dont sayby Pete WDHCo13,046 views
- 15:25 An Aerial View of Hydraulic Fracking Along The Marcellus Shaleby Park Productions18,537 views
- 6:44 Dylan Ratigan Takes on Josh Fox on MSNBCby EnergyInDepth4,065 views
- 1:38 What the Shale Reality Tour Didn't Showby eidmarcellus7,962 views
- 1:02:44 U.S. Shale Gasby StanfordUniversity39,367 views
- 56:29 New Madrid, Sinkholes, Gas Fracking, Oil Drilling in Gulf of Mexicoby georgeweatherby32,664 views
- 9:23 Occupy Well St. - Marcellus Shale Reality Tour Part 8 - Frackingby Gas Drilling Awareness Coalition2,825 views
- 53:43 1/3 Marcellus Shale Exposed: Tony Ingraffea /Keynoteby ShaleShock Media3,949 views
- 8:38 North Dakota Housing Shortageby LinksLogistics16,470 views
- 5:56 FrackNation researches the Sautners water contamination claim.by theysaidwhat20127,131 views
- 3:33 CNN Explains: Frackingby CNN108,328 views
- 7:25 Western North Dakota Oil Boomby Dylan Aafedt6,380 views
- 3:00 Video Essay: Life in an Oil Field 'Man Camp'by AssociatedPress101,118 views
- 13:21 Shale Gas Drilling: Pros & Consby Espectas12,951 views
- Loading more suggestions...