Marcellus Shale Reality Tour Part 2 - Dimock Day Trip - Fracking
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jan 11, 2012
A video by Scott Cannon http://www.gdacoalition.org
On January 10, 2012, I drove to Dimock Pennsylvania to find out what's going on with the DEP and the EPA's investigation on the water well contamination alleged by Cabot Oil & Gas
Methane in three private water wells in Lenox Twp. seeped there from a flawed natural gas well drilled by Cabot Oil & Gas Corp., state environmental regulators have found.
An investigation by the Department of Environmental Protection determined that the gas migrated from at least one of three Marcellus Shale wells on the Stalter well pad about a half-mile west of Interstate 81 in Susquehanna County.
Read the notice of violation HERE
The gas was found seeping into three water supplies in August. A fourth water well for a hunting cabin is still being evaluated, DEP spokesman Daniel Spadoni said.
Video from inside one of Cabot's gas wells showed that a string of steel casing meant to seal off the aquifer from contaminants was improperly constructed, according to a notice of violation sent by DEP in September.
Methane was also found between the cemented strings of casing in all three gas wells on the Stalter pad, a sign state regulators view as evidence of flaws in a well's construction.
The dissolved methane in one nearby water supply jumped from 0.3 milligrams per liter before drilling began to 49 milligrams per liter on Aug. 16 and 57 milligrams per liter on Aug. 18, according to the violation notice.
Cabot installed methane detection alarms in three homes and vented the three affected water wells to keep the methane from accumulating and creating an explosion risk. The company is also delivering replacement drinking water to two of the homes, Mr. Spadoni said. The methane in the third water well has decreased so the home does not require an alternate water supply, he said.
Cabot spokesman George Stark said Friday that the company submitted a detailed response to the DEP and is working with regulators on the issue.
"Cabot is committed to safe and responsible operations and takes matters like this very seriously," he said. "We believe in fact-based, scientific research to guide any necessary corrective actions."
Department regulators sent Cabot a violation notice on Sept. 19, but neither the department's public eFACTS compliance database nor its monthly oil and gas violations report noted the inspection or violations until last week, when a Times-Tribune reporter asked about the investigation.
DEP policy requires the oil and gas program to update the eFACTS database within 10 working days of completing an inspection or mailing a notice of violations.
Mr. Spadoni said the missing information was "an oversight."
Standard YouTube License
- 15:28 Marcellus Shale Reality Tour Part 6 Eviction Notice - Frackingby GADCLuzerneCounty 8,778 views
- 7:53 EPA comes to Dimock - Marcellus Shale Reality Tour Part 3 - Frackingby GADCLuzerneCounty 4,979 views
- 15:25 An Aerial View of Hydraulic Fracking Along The Marcellus Shaleby Park Productions 8,495 views
- 11 videos Play all Frackingby dkkreel
- 12:12 Erupting Water Well - Marcellus Shale Reality Tour Part 5 - Frackingby GADCLuzerneCounty 8,565 views
- 7:25 Shale Gas- Hydraulic Fracturingby QuesterreEnergy 82,470 views
- 11:41 "Gasland" Director Josh Fox Arrested at Congressional Hearing on Natural Gas Frackingby democracynow 38,917 views
- 6:04 Gas Well Flaring - Marcellus Shale Reality Tour Part 4 - Frackingby GADCLuzerneCounty 8,026 views
- 41:21 Water on Fire - Marcellus Shale Reality Tour Part 1 - Frackingby GADCLuzerneCounty 57,946 views
- 10:55 Williston: The North Dakota Oil Boom (Documentary)by carchdeacon 6,412 views
- 5:56 FrackNation researches the Sautners water contamination claim.by theysaidwhat2012 4,430 views
- 56:29 New Madrid, Sinkholes, Gas Fracking, Oil Drilling in Gulf of Mexicoby georgeweatherby 19,417 views
- 4:44 ND OIL TRUCKER TALKS REALITIES OF LIFE IN THE ND OIL FIELDS - OIL JOBS - WHEATHERby David Query 20,212 views
- 8:38 North Dakota Housing Shortageby LinksLogistics 4,817 views
- 8:37 Dimock Proudby Dimock Proud 6,841 views
- 15:00 Shale Gas and America's Future: Updated: Part 1by shalegasfuture 18,007 views
- 14:08 WARNING! Watch this before you head to North Dakota to get rich!!by NDtransplant 69,515 views
- 9:24 Fracking Hell The Untold Story - part one.by WallabyTedsBrother 5,608 views
- 5:59 Chesapeake Energy horizontal drilling methodby petrolyte 77,232 views
- 17:53 Fracking Hell: The Untold Storyby linktv 518,867 views
- 8:04 The Marcellus Shale: Building a Stronger, More Secure Americaby MarcellusCoalition 11,122 views
- Loading more suggestions...