Philip Beesley: Hylozoic Ground
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Sep 19, 2010
http://www.vernissage.tv | The Canadian Pavilion at the 12th International Architecture Exhibition - La Biennale di Venezia in Venice, Italy, presents Philip Beesley's Hylozoic Ground, an immersive, interactive environment made of lightweight digitally-fabricated component fitted with meshed microprocessors and sensors.
VernissageTV met with Philip Beesley on one of the preview days of the Biennale. In this interview, the artist and architect explains the word hylozoism and talks about the beginnings of his work on this topic, the concept of the exhibition at the Canadian Pavilion, the poetical and practical side of his work, and the next steps in the evolution of this system. The above video is an excerpt of the interview. The full-length version of the video that also contains an interview with Rob Gorbet is available at http://vernissage.tv/blog/2010/09/10/...
Hylozoic Ground at the Canadian Pavilion in the Venice Biennale's Giardini is a project designed by Philip Beesley, Associate Professor of Architecture at the University of Waterloo, with engineering director Rob Gorbet, experimental chemist Rachel Armstrong, and many collaborators.
The Hylozoic Ground environment can be described as a suspended geotextile that gradually accumulates hybrid soil from ingredients drawn from its surroundings. Akin to the functions of a living system, embedded machine intelligence allows human interaction to trigger breathing, caressing, and swallowing motions and hybrid metabolic exchanges. These empathic motions ripple out from hives of kinetic valves and pores in peristaltic waves, creating a diffuse pumping that pulls air, moisture and stray organic matter through the filtering Hylozoic membranes. 'Living' chemical exchanges are conceived as the first stages of self-renewing functions that might take root within this architecture. (Excerpt from the press release).
Philip Beesley: Hylozoic Ground. Canadian Pavilion at Architecture Biennale Venice 2010 / Interview. 12th International Architecture Exhibition -- La Biennale di Venezia, Venice / Italy. Preview, August 27/28, 2010.
More info: http://vernissage.tv/blog/2010/09/10/...
Standard YouTube License
Next in Architecture
- 9:38 Anaheim police brutality provokes riots in Californiaby RT AmericaFeatured 49,349
- 2:36 Phaeno Science Centerby VernissageTV 64,391 views
- 6:29 Hungarian Pavilion at Architecture Biennale 2010by VernissageTV 2,183 views
- 5:25 Czech and Slovak Republic Pavilion at Architecture Biennale 2010by VernissageTV 1,875 views
- 1:57:23 Un Borghese Piccolo Piccolo (Alberto Sordi 1977)by Bim bo 13,203 views
- 5:06 CBC News "Future of Architecture" - Philip Beesleyby HiroicProductions's channel 8,272 views
- 4:47 Amazing Game of Life Demoby neotropic9's channel 179,250 views
- 8:50 Biennale 2011 - venezia / venice / venise / venedig - HDby greyandwise 17,433 views
- 25 videos Play all Kinetic Architecture Playlistby dynamicarchitecture
- 2:00:50 Riusciranno i nostri eroi a ritrovare l'amico misteriosamente scomparso in Africa-Alberto Sordiby personaltrainer1971 30,257 views
- 3:58 teglenica arhitekti finalby Pavilionhr 66,538 views
- 15:35 TEDxWaterloo - Philip Beesley - 2/25/10by TEDxTalks 2,743 views
- 9:15 VITTORIO SGARBI INAUGURAZIONE 54 BIENNALE VENEZIA PADIGLIONE ITALIA TORINO 2011by Canale di salvacascofoto 141,618 views
- 3:03 Artist's 'Staple City' comes to life - Artist Peter Rootby kulitkapal 7,116 views
- 6:21 Architecture Biennale - Studio Mumbai Architects (NOW Interviews)by BiennaleChannel 6,543 views
- 2:47 The Singing, Ringing Treeby RailMon 3,034,767 views
- 7:20 The Clock (2010) - Christian Marclayby Neolma 4,972 views
- 4:19 Hylozoic Soil - Prototype and Installationby pbeesley1234 33,108 views
- 14:02 I NUOVI MOSTRI (Alberto Sordi) - Pronto soccorsoby Canale di Telemattia 34,062 views
- 14:49 Kinetic Art - Dynamic Structure 29117by Willem van Weeghel 84,245 views
- 12:39 Stray Moments: Christian Marclay's "The Clock"by The Lumière Reader 3,002 views
- Loading more suggestions...