Too Many Dicks on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Sep 8, 2011
An episode of The Daily Show with Jon Stewart is interrupted by a remixed critique of the show's gender imbalance and "boys' locker room" comedy stylings. The remix takeover was created with clips borrowed from over 100 episodes of The Daily Show combined with the Flight of the Conchords song "Too Many Dicks on the Dance Floor" in order to subvert both sources.
NOTE: This remix was made well before TDS hired Jessica Williams as a regular correspondent in January 2012. The addition of Williams to the TDS staff is definitely a step in the right direction. However the ridiculous number of dick jokes on the show has only grown worse.
I am a fan of The Daily Show about 50% of the time but I often find myself disappointed with the overwhelmingly male-centered style, jokes, segments and guests. I can't help but feel that there are, in fact, just too many dicks on the dance floor.
So I thought a little critical commentary done in the style of the Daily Show itself would be appropriate.
The serious lack of women in on-screen or leading creative roles on The Daily Show and other late-night comedy shows has been well documented and discussed in recent years. But here's a quick recap: Only 3 of the 12 regular correspondences/contributors on The Daily Show are women. Only 2 of the 16 writers are women. And so far barely 15% of the guests in 2011 have been women.
To be absolutely clear I'm not saying that Jon Stewart or his team are personally sexists. i don't know them. But as host and Executive Producer Jon is largely responsible for the messaging, tone and culture of the Daily Show as a comedy institution. He could get creative in addressing the boys' club comedy culture on the show -- and, as a start, hire more women in leading creative roles. As Wyatt Cenac has pointed out, talented female comedians are not hard to find.
The original Flight of the Conchords song, while humorous, is in no way meant to be critical of sexism -- in fact its very heteronormative and even a little bit homophobic -- but when it is combined with any male-centered media source it instantly becomes a subversive critical commentary. Try remixing it and see for yourself!
More about this video (plus more links) on my site:
This remix was inspired by the practice of fan vidding and specifically by the vid Star Trek Dance Floor created by Sloane. She used the same song to point out the lack of female characters in J.J. Abrams' 2009 Star Trek reboot.
In 2010 Feminist Frequency video blogger mashed-up the same song in order to highlight the violent phallic imagery in modern video games.
I welcome good comments but I've decided to hold all comments for approval on this one (for obvious reasons) in an attempt to provide a space for a somewhat productive conversation. Sexist comments will not ever be approved. Any variation of the "women just aren't funny" or the "there aren't many funny women" nonsense will also not be approved so don't even try. The old "its just comedy" defense will be denied as well because comedy is one of the primary ways that sexism and sexist messages are normalized and reinforced in our culture.
FAIR USE NOTICE:
This transformative remix work constitutes a fair use of any copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US copyright law. "Too Many Dicks on The Daily Show" by Jonathan McIntosh is licensed under a Creative Commons BY-NC-SA 3.0 License permitting non-commercial sharing and remixing with attribution.
More on Fair Use:
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Too Many Dicks (On the Dance Floor)" on
Flight Of The Conchords
- 4:36 Jerry Seinfeld and Jon Stewart 'Pray The Gay Away' -- Marcus Bachmann Style!by PoliticalArticles.NETFeatured 743,042
- Comedy Central 1,327 videos1M
- 4:05 Jon Stewart shames GOP & FOX on 9 11 Rescue Worker Billby ReachX Last 418,849 views
- 0:47 FOX news models are idiotsby galvorniii 283,116 views
- 3:03 Fox News` many Wars on Things Except the War on Womanby Tom Rise 18,716 views
- 37:02 The Use of Satire in the News The Daily Show Challenges Fox Newsby fortisfortunavantari 15,154 views
- 2:25 Best Emmy Moment Everby Tevster 9,140,123 views
- 80 videos Play all The Daily Show with Jon Stewartby comedycentral
- 10:01 Jon Stewart 9/11 Crying [hard to watch]by 1L... As Nature Intended 592,452 views
- 2:00 Comedy Central UK - The Daily Show - Mitt Romney's Olympic Gaffeby Comedy Central UK & Ireland 96,412 views
- 5:30 Jon Stewart to O'Reilly: If You Pulled Something Out of a Box Labeled 'President' It'd Be Romneyby FoxNewsInsider 377,087 views
- 1:25 Jon Stewart Corrects Bill O'Reillyby Carrie's My Woman 161,941 views
- 9:05 Jon Stewart Trashes CNN Again & Again on 'Larry King Live'; Questions Rick Sanchez's Firingby Addicted2News's channel 1,495,507 views
- 8:48 Jon Stewart Confronts Bill O'Reilly on Tea Party/Economyby VoteRonPaul12 157,560 views
- 4:10 Bill O'Reilly on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart (11-13-08)by 3003BG 1,198,094 views
- 5:01 Wow!!! Stewart Disses Israel For Onceby POWMadeAK47.com 278,992 views
- 2:40 Jon Stewart Thoughts on Iranby kiabadie 22,162 views
- 3:30 fox news The Daily Show Lewis Black Back in Black Saddam, Bin Laden, and Nazis 2003 09 17 Wendalby deadeyes333 239,817 views
- 0:52 Bill O'Reilly: Morgan Freeman SLAMS The Tea Party!!by Carrie's My Woman 460,394 views
- 4:30 Supreme Court on video games - The Daily Show with John Stewart - Moral Kombatby hamdemon99 39,114 views
- 2:39 Sean Hannity Confesses Using Fake Footage: "Jon Stewart Was Right!"by BangTheNews 606,324 views
- 1:19 ...on the dance floor.by sloanesomething 68,993 views
- Loading more suggestions...