Tui Dub - Salmonella Dub
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Apr 6, 2011
The TVNZ Salmonella Dub Tour, in association with Pacific Blue, is called Feel the Seasons Change. It is an audiovisual journey through Aotearoa that weaves the ancient and modern worlds together in a journey of healing and celebration. It is also a musical adventure bringing Salmonella Dub and the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra onstage together with Whirimako Black, Richard Nunns and Paddy Free. They will perform in Wellington, Auckland, Christchurch and Nelson in January and February.
Feel the Seasons Change combines modern music and production values with the ancient arts of Taonga Puoro, Te Reo Maori and the NZSO's classical tradition. Part of the scheme is a "ground-up" collaboration in the arrangements which will make the orchestra part of the music, not just a backing band. Noted Christchurch composer Tom Rainey says he is arranging the music so the orchestra is an integral part of the music.
"I hate the idea of an orchestra like the NZSO sitting there doing nothing. I like to give them things to do that will challenge them, not just footballs [long notes]," says Rainey.
Rainey exploits what he sees as the elements of the orchestra that fit in with what the band does. "Salmonella Dub have a strong idea about making the whole concert a kind of unified soundscape."
The musical and visual imagery for these shows tells the story of our land and culture.
Over the years, Salmonella Dub has amassed a library of stunning aerial footage shot over the southern landscapes of the Kaikoura coastline and the mountains, lakes and rivers of the Rakaia and Mckenzie basins. They use these images to back the compelling soundscapes they weave onstage.
The first half of the show represents the old world of Aotearoa. It opens with the haunting sounds of Richard Nunns playing Taonga Puoro (traditional Maori instruments) accompanied by the orchestra. This leads into "Tui Dub", featuring a karakia from Whirimako Black and backed by aerial shots of the Dub's beloved Southern heartland.
Whirimako Black takes centre stage to sing Salmonella Dub's "For The Love Of It" in te reo. Her collaboration on "Drifting" is backed with images of the waka, the first colonial ships and film footage celebrating the beauty of our coastlines. All this is intertwined with musical links from Nunns and electronic music guru Paddy Free, from Paddy's up-and-coming solo album.
Standard YouTube License
- 45 videos Play all YouTube Mix - Tui Dub - Salmonella Dub
- 9:44 Salmonella Dub - Dub Survivorby Boomsteppah53,077 views
- 9:44 Salmonella dub -Dub survivorby atzael martinez19,552 views
- 4:08:53 Dub compilaciónby annuler3,440 views
- 7:45 Salmonella Dub - Peyote Dub (HQ)by milan82ca8,909 views
- 14:56 Dub Anthology CD3 - 05 Kanka 12 Dubphonic 15 GG Project .wmvby Feelin Sillin24,478 views
- 17:57 Fat Freddy's Drop - Rainby chiemi2112351,105 views
- 6:14 Salmonella Dub - Bubbleby Daniel Jones19,400 views
- 1:13:50 Salmonella Dub Live at Peats Ridge 2011by PeatsRidge8,526 views
- 9:23 Salmonella Dub - Slideby reallynicemusic259,605 views
- 40 videos Play all salmonella dub playlistby ChambelRicardo
- 9:06 Cell - U Babbuby Regens366,657 views
- 52:13 Dub Digital Selection #1 [HD]by Dubbarth748,731 views
- 6:28 Salmonella Dub - Conspiracy Dubby GetTheShovel16,176 views
- 6:20 Salmonella Dub-Inside the Dub Platesby milenasunshine128,435 views
- 5:58 mad professor aztec warrior best dub everby Koles Git255,873 views
- 6:24 Salmonella Dub - Love Sunshine & Happinessby Stefanmftp29,247 views
- 4:35 Mad Professor - Rasta Dubby Dolemite500427,229 views
- 6:19 Salmonella Dub - Wytaliba (Dreadzone Remix)by raggadubsound27,727 views
- 4:06 Salmonella Dub - Up & Runningby stevecadman123,026 views
- 5:04 Salmonella Dub - Love your waysby Afrogandjahcrew29,114 views