Aegis BMD (FM-6) Stellar Defender Quicklook
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Oct 24, 2006
The Missile Defense Agency (MDA) and the U.S. Navy announced today the completion of a successful flight test in the continuing development of the Aegis Ballistic Missile Defense (BMD) Program, the sea-based element of the Ballistic Missile Defense System (BMDS). Flight Mission-6 (FM-6) involved the detection and tracking of an Aries medium-range target missile launched from the Pacific Missile Range Facility (PMRF), Kauai, Hawaii at 8:10am HST (1:10pm EST). Approximately two minutes after target launch, a developmental Standard Missile-3 (SM-3) was launched from the Aegis Ballistic Missile Defense cruiser the USS LAKE ERIE (CG 70). Approximately two minutes later the SM-3 successfully intercepted the target missile with Òhit to killÓ technology, using only the force of the direct collision to destroy the target. This was the fourth successful intercept for Aegis BMD and SM-3.
After the target was launched, the Aegis destroyer the USS RUSSELL, located near the island of Kauai, detected the target and reported the target track to the USS LAKE ERIE, located further out to sea. Outfitted with Aegis BMD equipment and computer program configuration, the USS LAKE ERIE acquired and tracked the target with its AN/SPY-1 radar and developed a fire control solution. The crew of the USS LAKE ERIE then launched the SM-3 missile. The Aegis Weapon System guided the first, second and third stages of the SM-3 to a position to perform an intercept of the target. After ejection from the SM-3 third stage, the Kinetic Warhead acquired, tracked and diverted directly into the target at an altitude of 137 kilometers, and at a closing speed of approximately 3.7 kilometers per second.
This test was another step forward in the development and test program leading to the integration of Aegis BMD into the ÒlayeredÓ missile defense system designed to intercept and destroy all types of ballistic missiles during any phase of flightÑboost, midcourse and terminal. A primary objective for this test was to evaluate the performance of long-range surveillance and track support from an Aegis cruiser and destroyer team that has the potential for use with a number of different missile defense elements, including the Ground-based Midcourse Defense (GMD) designed to protect the United States against long-range ballistic missiles. Extensive post-test analysis will be conducted to evaluate the performance of the entire system as tested, and will provide the data necessary to prepare for future flight tests and to aid in the continuing development program to ensure the United States will be able to defend our homeland, deployed forces and our friends and allies against ballistic missiles of all ranges.
Conducted by Navy personnel, FM-6 is the fourth of a six flight test series within the 2004-2005 time period (called Block 2004) to develop a sea-based ballistic missile defense against short-to-medium range ballistic missiles. FM-6 is the third developmental flight test against more complex, stressing and operationally realistic ballistic missile engagement scenarios. Future tests will continue to increase operational realism.
MDA, in cooperation with the Navy, manages the Aegis BMD Program. Lockheed Martin Maritime Systems and Sensors, Moorestown, N.J. is the prime contractor for the Aegis Weapon System and Vertical Launch System installed in Aegis cruisers and destroyers. Raytheon Missile Systems, Tucson, Ariz., is the prime contractor for the SM-3 missile.
Release for public on 11 December 2003.
Standard YouTube License
- 26:07 Aegis BMD (FM-8) FTM 04-2 Stellar Valkyrie Campaign Documentaryby AegisBMD32,887 views
- 33:33 Aegis BMD Stellar Predator (FTM-10) Campaign Documentaryby AegisBMD4,166 views
- 9:10 Aegis Ballistic Missile Defense - FTM 04-1by Gemmy's Videos16,186 views
- 17:41 Aegis BMD (FM-6) Stellar Defender Documentaryby AegisBMD2,279 views
- 2:39 Newest SM-3 Takes Out Another Ballistic Missile Targetby raytheoncompany4,046 views
- 12:59 U.S. Ballistic Missile Defense System - Sistema de Defesa Contra mísseis balísticos dos EUAby Rumoaohepta73,760 views
- 4:28 SM-3 IB Missile intercept test May 16, 2013by StarAdvertiser5,264 views
- 6:40 Aegis BMD Stellar Vengeance (FTM-16 Event 2A) Flight Test Mission Success Quicklookby AegisBMD2,360 views
- 12:45 Aegis BMD (FTM-13) Stellar Gryphon Documentaryby AegisBMD4,570 views
- 2:50 May 2012 SM-3 missile testby StarAdvertiser2,107 views
- 4:54 BRAHMOS INDO-RUSSIAN SUPERSONIC CRUISE MISSILE TEST VIDEOby Dinu cv400,626 views
- 3:37 Aegis BMD (FM-4) Stellar Viper Quicklookby AegisBMD4,951 views
- 5:53 Aegis BMD (FM-8) FTM 04-2 Stellar Valkyrie Quicklookby AegisBMD8,577 views
- 34:36 Aegis BMD (FM-7) FTM 04-1 Stellar Dragon Campaign Documentaryby AegisBMD1,885 views
- 3:41 RIM-161 SM-3 intercepts missile target (2/12/2013)by USFORCESTV1,185 views
- 4:17 Japan Aegis BMD (JFTM-4) Stellar Taka Flight Mission Success Quicklookby AegisBMD216,272 views
- 3:49 Aegis BMD (FTM-13) Stellar Gryphon Quicklookby AegisBMD5,882 views
- 4:51 Aegis BMD Stellar Charon (FTM-15) Flight Mission Success Documentaryby AegisBMD2,060 views
- 2:36 Standard Missile-6 Sea-based Testingby raytheoncompany17,431 views
- 9:37 Firepower - Warship (Part 1/2)by OlderG0ds218,542 views
- Loading more suggestions...