School bus becomes off-grid, transformable, tiny home
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jul 29, 2012
As a teenager, Richard dreamed of making a home out of a vehicle. Over a decade later, he met Rachel and soon after she agreed to move aboard a bus, they were planning their new mobile home.
After buying a used school bus for $3000, Richard and Rachel drafted autoCAD plans and began to design every detail of their new home, something that was important in their decision not to simply buy a used RV or mobile home (which they view as flimsier than a steel-framed bus).
Their furniture is all hand-built and much of it becomes a bed. They also hacked some IKEA pieces to fit their space: a shoe cozy holds their trash and recycling bins and rolling drawers that snap into place became their cupboard.
To create a totally off-grid dwelling they mounted 6 solar panels (bought off ebay at $200 a piece) on the roof for a total of 770 watts. Propane feeds their catalytic heater and will soon feed their stove and oven, though for now they are using a butane camp stove for cooking.
Since Richard and Rachel are building their home without a mortgage, they build as they have the money for each new phase. They still don't have plumbing (they wash dishes with vinegar and shower in other locations every 2 or 3 days). They recently replaced their emergency toilet with a composting toilet.
They waited 5 years for technology to reach a point where they could "convert sunlight into ice cubes" with the world's first upright, front-loading solar fridge and freezer.
The conversion has cost them about $12,000 so far, including the price of the bus so the $1200 solar fridge and similarly-priced solar-powered composting toilet were big decisions, but necessary to maintain their off-grid lifestyle.
More info on original story: http://faircompanies.com/videos/view/...
Music by Paperhand Lincoln: http://www.paperhandlincoln.com/
* This video was filmed entirely by Johnny Sanphillippo, himself an owner of a mortgage-free tiny home: faircompanies.com/videos/view/mortgage-f
Standard YouTube License
- 9:59 California DIY, shipping container tiny home and a cargo trailer bedroomby kirstendirksenFeatured 906,595
- 16:08 Abandoned stable becomes off-grid, luxurious family dream homeby kirstendirksen 344,309 views
- 12:55 Off-grid float cabin: retirement tiny dream home in BC wildernessby kirstendirksen 224,905 views
- 19:55 6 rooms into 1: morphing apartment packs 1100 sq ft into 420by kirstendirksen 790,051 views
- 13:29 Tour of Double Decker School Bus Conversion - Tiny Houseby Bryce Phelps 61,269 views
- 4:56 School Bus Home-HGTVby HGTV 14,729 views
- House 1,118,411 videos211
- 1:20 Canterbury couple turn bus into a new homeby Rekha Manoj 31,942 views
- 13:39 Camper Living: our $3000 tiny homeby TwoLittleEngines 57,964 views
- 1:29 Living In An RV - deep in the woods and off the gridby techman2015 67,925 views
- 8:40 Tiny Homes: Mortgage-Free And NO Utility Bills - Off The Grid, Self Sufficient Living!by athatcher85 80,009 views
- 7:35 How to have a home with no house payments and no utility bills!by solarcabin 1,392,538 views
- 13:50 Joseph and Aravinda's Tiny House on Wheelsby argusfest 52,328 views
- 2:28 Vintage Bus Conversion - Full Time RVer - Technomadia's 4106by TalesFromTechnomadia 49,667 views
- 5:16 Small Space, Big Style #11 (2/4)by hajimenoipposong 242,752 views
- 5:00 Off The Gridby Nicholas Stewart 94,153 views
- 14:21 16x9 - Off The Grid: Living off land hour from Vancouverby 16x9onglobal 120,700 views
- 8:31 Vic Cook's Earth Ship - The "Giant"by LifePlusStyle 26,595 views
- 6:07 10x 10 x 10 ft cube house.by thehypnoguy1 438,181 views
- 5:48 Molecule Tiny Homes: House Tour (w/added footage)by Jason Gabriel 188,729 views
- 3:37 The BEST Tiny Home: Build your own or Pre-Built Off Grid Mortgage-Free No Utilities Self Sustainableby Nomadic Medhunter 62,557 views
- Loading more suggestions...